Quick Question, Quick Answer
Author Message
 Quick Question, Quick Answer

Is there any way of finding out if the pc has more than one processor? Does
it automatically share the work between them?

Thu, 06 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Question, Quick Answer

Greets,

    You can use GetSystemInfo() to get the number of processors on an SMP
system.  Unless you are running Windows NT or Windows 2000, the operating
system will not take advantage of multiple processors (although people have
written software to take advantage of them programmatically).  If you are
running NT or W2k, the operating system will handle the scheduling of
processes and threads between the processors.  (Although you can have some
control over this through the API functions that change the affinity masks.)

Regards,

Joe

Quote:
> Is there any way of finding out if the pc has more than one processor?
Does
> it automatically share the work between them?

Thu, 06 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Question, Quick Answer

Quote:
>Is there any way of finding out if the pc has more than one processor? Does
>it automatically share the work between them?

Steven,

You can use the GetSystemInfo API.

Note - Windows 9x doesn't support multi-processor systems. On Windows
NT/2000 the OS shares the work between the processors.

Dave
--
MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq

Thu, 06 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Question, Quick Answer
Is it difficult to do this in Win 98 programmatically

Quote:
> Is there any way of finding out if the pc has more than one processor?
Does
> it automatically share the work between them?

Thu, 06 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Question, Quick Answer
In Win98 it doesn't matter if the computer has more than one processor
or not.  The operating system will only use one.  It's just as easy to
call the GetSystemInfo() function on Win9x as it is on NT/2000 (it's
the same function on either platform) but you won't be able to do
anything with the extra CPU on a Win9x machine.  It's as if it were
not there.

Joe O'

Quote:
> Is it difficult to do this in Win 98 programmatically

message

> > Is there any way of finding out if the pc has more than one
processor?
> Does
> > it automatically share the work between them?

Thu, 06 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Question, Quick Answer
Greets,

    Apparently, according to MSDN documentation on Win95/98/98SE, there is
probably a way to do this at the low level (I would assume a special
driver).  From the article (search for "w98sehwfaq microprocessor dual"):

"Note that some third-party programs may make use of a second processor
under Windows in a programmatic manner (most notably, computer-aided design
[CAD] programs). The use of a secondary processor is dependent upon such a
program and is usable only by that program."

Regards,

Joe

Quote:
> In Win98 it doesn't matter if the computer has more than one processor
> or not.  The operating system will only use one.  It's just as easy to
> call the GetSystemInfo() function on Win9x as it is on NT/2000 (it's
> the same function on either platform) but you won't be able to do
> anything with the extra CPU on a Win9x machine.  It's as if it were
> not there.

> Joe O'

> > Is it difficult to do this in Win 98 programmatically

> message

> > > Is there any way of finding out if the pc has more than one
> processor?
> > Does
> > > it automatically share the work between them?

Thu, 06 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help-Quick answer to quick memory query

2. Quick Sort, quicker, stable and anti-degeneration

3. HELP:Need copy of MS Quick C w/Quick assembler 2.5x for windows

4. Quick C v2.0 versus Quick C v1.0

5. Difference between Quick C and Quick C/Win

6. needed: a good quick .CHM quick ref of C#

7. Quick C test - whats the correct answer???

8. Quick question

9. quick c++ to c# question

10. Quick Question

11. DateTime.ToOADate() precision - quick question

12. Quick Question