Source File destroyed on Windows 2000 using VC 6.0
Author Message
 Source File destroyed on Windows 2000 using VC 6.0

Greetings,

This is a problem which seems to be a re-occurance of one fixed by SP 3 of
VC 6.0 for NT 4.0.  However, it occurs randomly when I am editing source
files in VC 6.0 (SP3 installed) on a Windows 2000 Workstation.

After some indeterminate amount of editing and regular saves, another
precautionary save damages the stored file so that it is subsequently
unusable.  It seems to convert it to a binary file of some sort.

I don't seem to have similar problems with other programs (e.g., word
processing) so I presume this to be a similar problem with the VC 6.0 IDE
that was previously fixed for NT 4.0.  I have found no online Microsoft
documentation of this problem.

The PC is a 600Mhz Athlon with 256K memory and a IDE 66 MHz interface disk.
Temporary fix is to "double" back up the file each time.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Richard Scott

Fri, 29 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Source File destroyed on Windows 2000 using VC 6.0
Yeah, it happened to me too!

I wish I had taken better notes so I could help you, but I was just
running Win2000 to debug my software rather than doing "real
developement" and so I cant even remember if I had bothered to patch to
SP3 or not.

At the time I was loading my project up and compiling it right on a re-
writtable CD.  So I thought at the time that it was a flaw in DirectCD
maybe some incompatibility with Win2K.

But the same thing definately happened.  It turned some of my .cpp
files into binaries.  But also, I know it wratched up my re-writtable
disc too because I couldnt erase the broken files.  I had to reformat
the disc.

Anyway, thats all I can remember off the top of my head.  Like I said
Ive never done any serious dev work on Win2k because of all the
problems Ive heard about with VC6 on it. Let me know if you have any
other questions and Ill try to jog my memory some more!

Tom

Quote:
> Greetings,

> This is a problem which seems to be a re-occurance of one fixed by SP
3 of
> VC 6.0 for NT 4.0.  However, it occurs randomly when I am editing
source
> files in VC 6.0 (SP3 installed) on a Windows 2000 Workstation.

> After some indeterminate amount of editing and regular saves, another
> precautionary save damages the stored file so that it is subsequently
> unusable.  It seems to convert it to a binary file of some sort.

> I don't seem to have similar problems with other programs (e.g., word
> processing) so I presume this to be a similar problem with the VC 6.0
IDE
> that was previously fixed for NT 4.0.  I have found no online
Microsoft
> documentation of this problem.

> The PC is a 600Mhz Athlon with 256K memory and a IDE 66 MHz interface
disk.
> Temporary fix is to "double" back up the file each time.

> Has anyone else had this problem?

> Richard Scott

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 30 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Source File destroyed on Windows 2000 using VC 6.0
Thanks for the confirmation.  One never knows the true source of these
problems but our joint experience seems to rule out a simple hardware
problem.

This makes me wonder about the level of testing and internal MS use of
Windows 2000 and VC 6.0.  This should NOT have gotten past them in
development and testing!

Richard

Quote:
> Yeah, it happened to me too!

> I wish I had taken better notes so I could help you, but I was just
> running Win2000 to debug my software rather than doing "real
> developement" and so I cant even remember if I had bothered to patch to
> SP3 or not.

> At the time I was loading my project up and compiling it right on a re-
> writtable CD.  So I thought at the time that it was a flaw in DirectCD
> maybe some incompatibility with Win2K.

> But the same thing definately happened.  It turned some of my .cpp
> files into binaries.  But also, I know it wratched up my re-writtable
> disc too because I couldnt erase the broken files.  I had to reformat
> the disc.

> Anyway, thats all I can remember off the top of my head.  Like I said
> Ive never done any serious dev work on Win2k because of all the
> problems Ive heard about with VC6 on it. Let me know if you have any
> other questions and Ill try to jog my memory some more!

> Tom

> > Greetings,

> > This is a problem which seems to be a re-occurance of one fixed by SP
> 3 of
> > VC 6.0 for NT 4.0.  However, it occurs randomly when I am editing
> source
> > files in VC 6.0 (SP3 installed) on a Windows 2000 Workstation.

> > After some indeterminate amount of editing and regular saves, another
> > precautionary save damages the stored file so that it is subsequently
> > unusable.  It seems to convert it to a binary file of some sort.

> > I don't seem to have similar problems with other programs (e.g., word
> > processing) so I presume this to be a similar problem with the VC 6.0
> IDE
> > that was previously fixed for NT 4.0.  I have found no online
> Microsoft
> > documentation of this problem.

> > The PC is a 600Mhz Athlon with 256K memory and a IDE 66 MHz interface
> disk.
> > Temporary fix is to "double" back up the file each time.

> > Has anyone else had this problem?

> > Richard Scott

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sun, 01 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Source File destroyed on Windows 2000 using VC 6.0
had that many times myself.
Quote:

>Thanks for the confirmation.  One never knows the true source of these
>problems but our joint experience seems to rule out a simple hardware
>problem.

>This makes me wonder about the level of testing and internal MS use of
>Windows 2000 and VC 6.0.  This should NOT have gotten past them in
>development and testing!

>Richard

>> Yeah, it happened to me too!

>> I wish I had taken better notes so I could help you, but I was just
>> running Win2000 to debug my software rather than doing "real
>> developement" and so I cant even remember if I had bothered to patch to
>> SP3 or not.

>> At the time I was loading my project up and compiling it right on a re-
>> writtable CD.  So I thought at the time that it was a flaw in DirectCD
>> maybe some incompatibility with Win2K.

>> But the same thing definately happened.  It turned some of my .cpp
>> files into binaries.  But also, I know it wratched up my re-writtable
>> disc too because I couldnt erase the broken files.  I had to reformat
>> the disc.

>> Anyway, thats all I can remember off the top of my head.  Like I said
>> Ive never done any serious dev work on Win2k because of all the
>> problems Ive heard about with VC6 on it. Let me know if you have any
>> other questions and Ill try to jog my memory some more!

>> Tom

>> > Greetings,

>> > This is a problem which seems to be a re-occurance of one fixed by SP
>> 3 of
>> > VC 6.0 for NT 4.0.  However, it occurs randomly when I am editing
>> source
>> > files in VC 6.0 (SP3 installed) on a Windows 2000 Workstation.

>> > After some indeterminate amount of editing and regular saves, another
>> > precautionary save damages the stored file so that it is subsequently
>> > unusable.  It seems to convert it to a binary file of some sort.

>> > I don't seem to have similar problems with other programs (e.g., word
>> > processing) so I presume this to be a similar problem with the VC 6.0
>> IDE
>> > that was previously fixed for NT 4.0.  I have found no online
>> Microsoft
>> > documentation of this problem.

>> > The PC is a 600Mhz Athlon with 256K memory and a IDE 66 MHz interface
>> disk.
>> > Temporary fix is to "double" back up the file each time.

>> > Has anyone else had this problem?

>> > Richard Scott

>> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>> Before you buy.

Mon, 02 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Source File destroyed on Windows 2000 using VC 6.0
ive posted a few days ago in win2000.developer + win2000.setup about
experiencing the same problem + again my hardware is different. its a bummer
win2000 is way more stable then win9x but when it crashes it can cause some
serious damage. u pays your moneys u takes your pick.

zed

Quote:
> Thanks for the confirmation.  One never knows the true source of these
> problems but our joint experience seems to rule out a simple hardware
> problem.

> This makes me wonder about the level of testing and internal MS use of
> Windows 2000 and VC 6.0.  This should NOT have gotten past them in
> development and testing!

Mon, 02 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Install of vc c++ 6.0 fails under Windows 2000 sp3

2. Access 2000 - VC ++ 6.0 - ODBC

3. Plateform: ACCESS 2000, ADOX, VC 6.0

4. VC 6.0 and Access 2000 not compatible!

5. windows 2000 pro or windows 2000 server?

6. Migrating VC 6.0 project from NT4 to Win 2000

7. Migrating VC 6.0 project from NT4 to Win 2000

8. VC 6.0 and Access 2000 not compatible!

9. Visual C++ 6.0 attach to process debugger in Windows 2000

10. Visual C++ 6.0 bug on Windows 2000?

11. Visual C++ 6.0 on Windows 2000

12. Visual C++ 6.0 @ Windows 2000