HELP: VC++ 4.2 need reliable millisecond timer routine
Author Message
 HELP: VC++ 4.2 need reliable millisecond timer routine

I am coding a W95 Visual C++ 4.2 application that needs
a good system time utility to keep track of elapsed time
within a math routine with millisecond resolution.

In the "old days" I'd just keep track of the 1024 Hz
interrupt clock count to do this stuff.  But now that
W95 uses virtual machines who can tell what is where.
I realize that the VC++ functions have update timers
but the OS control of these does not provide the
required accuracy.  I found that Windows NT has kernel
utilities that provide microsecond timing but I haven't
seen the same stuff for a W95 platform.

Also, I have heard that programmming a VXD utility would
allow "Ring 0" access that could cut through all the OS
overhead but VXD development samples aren't that prevalent
in the literature.

Any takers?  Sample Code?,  Shareware?...

TIA

Steve D.

Sat, 06 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: VC++ 4.2 need reliable millisecond timer routine

Quote:
>I am coding a W95 Visual C++ 4.2 application that needs
>a good system time utility to keep track of elapsed time
>within a math routine with millisecond resolution.

Steve,

Have you had a look at the multimedia timer facilities - you are
supposed to be able to get 1mS accuracy with them under Windows 95,
and 5mS under NT. If you have a look at timeGetTime in the on-line
help it'll give you more suggestions.

Dave
----
Remove ".---" for the real address.
http://www.bj.co.uk

Sun, 07 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Need timer help to execute routine.

2. 1st timer, need help w/ vc++ 5.0

3. VC++ 4.2=>VC++6.0 Help problems

4. Need old VC++ 4.2 CD-ROM - will pay

5. Need example of owner-drawn combo box using VC 4.2

6. Reliable 10mS timer on Win98

7. Reliable timer function?

8. Reliable 10mS timer on Win98

9. Reliable timers

10. Help needed converting Cstrings from 4.2 to 1.52

11. Using HTML help with VC 5.0 and MFC 4.2

12. Help : How to tie-up directory settings to .mdp in VC++ 4.2