vc6 problems with vc5 projects ...
Author Message
 vc6 problems with vc5 projects ...

Hi,
I recently moved to vc6 and I've faced some really annoying problems.

1st. Almost all my vc5 programs, after the first compilation end up with an
external
dependency. This is <basetsd.h>.

2nd. (and more important). Auto complete does not work with WinApi keywords.
I still have autocomplete for my own structures, functions and variables,
but not a single WinApi keyword is recognized.
I have solved this problem in some small programs, by creating a new Win32
application with the wizard (witch includes StdAfx.h/.cpp) and then
importing my source files.

Do I really need to go through this for all my vc5 projects, or am I doing
something wrong?

John

Tue, 30 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 vc6 problems with vc5 projects ...
Greets,

    For your first problem, some helpful individual had posted the solution
to this earlier; you will need to add the BASETSD.H file to the list of
system includes for the IDE so that they won't be added to the external
dependencies.  The file you need to modify is SYSINCL.DAT, which you should
find under:

    \Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\COMMON\MSDEV98\BIN

    Just add BASETSD.H (in alphabetical order to be consistent) and restart
Developer Studio.

    With regards to your second question, since the API functions are in the
global namespace, adding the scope resolution operator (::) should cause
auto-complete to kick in for you.

Regards,

Joe

Quote:
> Hi,
> I recently moved to vc6 and I've faced some really annoying problems.

> 1st. Almost all my vc5 programs, after the first compilation end up with
an
> external
> dependency. This is <basetsd.h>.

> 2nd. (and more important). Auto complete does not work with WinApi
keywords.
> I still have autocomplete for my own structures, functions and variables,
> but not a single WinApi keyword is recognized.
> I have solved this problem in some small programs, by creating a new Win32
> application with the wizard (witch includes StdAfx.h/.cpp) and then
> importing my source files.

> Do I really need to go through this for all my vc5 projects, or am I doing
> something wrong?

> John

Tue, 30 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 vc6 problems with vc5 projects ...

Quote:

>Hi,
>I recently moved to vc6 and I've faced some really annoying problems.

>1st. Almost all my vc5 programs, after the first compilation end up with an
>external dependency. This is <basetsd.h>.

This was discussed in a thread late last week called:

"whats this basetsd.h junk?"

Quick re-cap, if you missed it...

What's this "basetsd.h" extern dependency junk in my vc6 projects and
how do I get rid of it?

This seems to be bug in VC6.
Add the basetsd.h to VC\Common\MSDev98\Bin\Sysincl.dat (sorted!) and
restart VC.

Which works for me, but I can't get rid of the header "sipapi.h", but
thats a CE toolkit thing...

Quote:
>2nd. (and more important). Auto complete does not work with WinApi keywords.

This annoyed me after a couple of days, and I turned it off, and it's
stayed off ever since.

Quote:
>I still have autocomplete for my own structures, functions and variables,
>but not a single WinApi keyword is recognized.
>I have solved this problem in some small programs, by creating a new Win32
>application with the wizard (witch includes StdAfx.h/.cpp) and then
>importing my source files.

How's about clearing down the project files before the conversion ?
i.e.  Getting rid of the *.dsw, *.clw, .aps, .plg, .ncb, Debug and
Release dirs, then loading the project into VC6.

Quote:
>Do I really need to go through this for all my vc5 projects, or am I doing
>something wrong?

>John

Jim M

Tue, 30 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 vc6 problems with vc5 projects ...

Quote:
> >I still have autocomplete for my own structures, functions and variables,
> >but not a single WinApi keyword is recognized.
> >I have solved this problem in some small programs, by creating a new
Win32
> >application with the wizard (witch includes StdAfx.h/.cpp) and then
> >importing my source files.

> How's about clearing down the project files before the conversion ?
> i.e.  Getting rid of the *.dsw, *.clw, .aps, .plg, .ncb, Debug and
> Release dirs, then loading the project into VC6.

You forgot *.opt which is probably the second most important (after .ncb).

Tue, 30 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 vc6 problems with vc5 projects ...

Quote:

>> >I still have autocomplete for my own structures, functions and variables,
>> >but not a single WinApi keyword is recognized.
>> >I have solved this problem in some small programs, by creating a new
>> >Win32 application with the wizard (witch includes StdAfx.h/.cpp) and then
>> >importing my source files.

>> How's about clearing down the project files before the conversion ?
>> i.e.  Getting rid of the *.dsw, *.clw, .aps, .plg, .ncb, Debug and
>> Release dirs, then loading the project into VC6.

>You forgot *.opt which is probably the second most important (after .ncb).

I certainly did, and it is, as you say, important...  There's so many
of them....  I've become a bit lazy recently, as I just delete all the
files that don't have the read-only bit set (cheers source safe)...

Jim M

Tue, 30 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Problem moving project from VC5 to VC6

2. Problem converting WCE project from VC5 to VC6

3. Problem while converting VC5.0 project to VC6.0

4. Problem moving project from VC5 to VC6

5. Problem upgrading a project from VC5 to VC6

6. Compile an old VC5.0 Dll Project under VC6.0 causes error

7. VC6 cannot compile AX server project created with VC5

8. VC5 projects using VC6 libs

9. Port VC5 Project to VC6

10. Compile an old VC5.0 Dll Project under VC6.0 causes error

11. VC5 to VC6 CRecordSet ODBC access problem across .DLLs

12. VC5 to VC6 - problems with CRecordset