Error using Microsoft's implementation of std::map
Author Message
 Error using Microsoft's implementation of std::map

Is there a problem with using Microsoft's std::map implementation?

When I have the following code segment:

------------------------------
#include <map>

using namespace map;
typedef map<string, int> STRING_TO_INT_MAP;
STRING_TO_INT_MAP foo;
----------------

I get 119 warning about "warning C4786.. identifier was truncated to '255'
characters in the debug information".

Is there any way around this?

Thanks in advanced,
Eric

Sun, 10 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Error using Microsoft's implementation of std::map

Quote:

>Is there a problem with using Microsoft's std::map implementation?>
>When I have the following code segment:

>------------------------------
>#include <map>

>using namespace map;
>typedef map<string, int> STRING_TO_INT_MAP;
>STRING_TO_INT_MAP foo;
>----------------

>I get 119 warning about "warning C4786.. identifier was truncated to '255'
>characters in the debug information".

>Is there any way around this?

>Thanks in advanced,
>Eric

This is a known limitation with MSVC. MSVC can't handle names
longer than 255 characters. When using maps, the template expansion
causes the names to be greater then 255.

To disable this add the line

#pragma warning(disable:4786)

before you include map.

-----------------** -- Posted from CodeGuru -- **-----------------
http://www.codeguru.com/    The website for Visual C++ programmers.

Sun, 10 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. inefficiencies in STL's std::string implementation

2. Implementation of map<>'s

3. std::map's cost

4. std::map doesn't work !!

5. VC7 std::map compilation error

6. vc7 std::map compilation error

7. Having problems with using std::map

8. Passing std::set and std::map objects between 2 dlls

9. Using the class in the std::map inside the definition of class itself

10. mem leaks when using std::map in a dll

11. help: 'using namespace std' and lists

12. using std::list's sort member function