Very probably a bug in the code generator of VC++ 2003 
Author Message
 Very probably a bug in the code generator of VC++ 2003

Hi all,

I discovered a bug in the "optimize for size" version of
our library.
We checked it thouroughly (while all the gcc fans here
were laughing).
It is compiled with VS Studio 2003 with full optimize
options for size.

Does anyone know where at Microsoft I should report / get
a fix on this ?

Thank you all

Christian



Mon, 24 Oct 2005 22:17:44 GMT  
 Very probably a bug in the code generator of VC++ 2003
Here would be good. People from the VC++ compiler team are known to drop by
occassionally.

You could also ring MS on the support line, but be *really* sure you have a
bug, or you'll be charged a veritable arm, leg, and other various
appendages.

  -- Dan


Quote:
> Hi all,

> I discovered a bug in the "optimize for size" version of
> our library.
> We checked it thouroughly (while all the gcc fans here
> were laughing).
> It is compiled with VS Studio 2003 with full optimize
> options for size.

> Does anyone know where at Microsoft I should report / get
> a fix on this ?

> Thank you all

> Christian



Tue, 25 Oct 2005 01:36:19 GMT  
 Very probably a bug in the code generator of VC++ 2003

Quote:

> I discovered a bug in the "optimize for size" version of
> our library.
> We checked it thouroughly (while all the gcc fans here
> were laughing).
> It is compiled with VS Studio 2003 with full optimize
> options for size.

> Does anyone know where at Microsoft I should report / get
> a fix on this ?

dotnet.languages.vc gets a lot of attention from the VC team.  And
anything here that they don't pick up is likely to get brought to their
attention, so either group should be good.

--
Craig Powers
MVP - Visual C++



Tue, 25 Oct 2005 03:37:52 GMT  
 Very probably a bug in the code generator of VC++ 2003
Mmmmmmhhh

At digital they offered you a bottle of champagne when
you found a serious bug, here I might (Though I'm sure of
my case) have to pay for it... Something doesn't sound
right here.
To recreate the situation (without giving all my source
to MS) would take me at least one or two days. I'm
already paying for this stuff...

Will I think I'll wait for MS to eventually find and fix
it.

Thank you for replying anyway

Christian

Quote:
>-----Original Message-----
>Here would be good. People from the VC++ compiler team

are known to drop by
Quote:
>occassionally.

>You could also ring MS on the support line, but be

*really* sure you have a
Quote:
>bug, or you'll be charged a veritable arm, leg, and
other various
>appendages.

>  -- Dan



>> Hi all,

>> I discovered a bug in the "optimize for size" version
of
>> our library.
>> We checked it thouroughly (while all the gcc fans here
>> were laughing).
>> It is compiled with VS Studio 2003 with full optimize
>> options for size.

>> Does anyone know where at Microsoft I should report /
get
>> a fix on this ?

>> Thank you all

>> Christian

>.



Tue, 25 Oct 2005 18:07:53 GMT  
 Very probably a bug in the code generator of VC++ 2003
I can sort of see where MS is coming from with their
charge-for-everything-except-if-it's-a-bug attitude. With VC being so
popular and being run by every man and his dog (except where the dog in
question uses GCC), I'm sure that if support was free, people would ring up
with utterly stupid questions (the sort of questions that you see here and
in many newsgroups every day), and no actual bug reports would get through.

So I suppose the potential support bill is a "nuisance clause" to get people
to really think about their bug report before bothering to call.

  -- Dan


Quote:
> Mmmmmmhhh

> At digital they offered you a bottle of champagne when
> you found a serious bug, here I might (Though I'm sure of
> my case) have to pay for it... Something doesn't sound
> right here.
> To recreate the situation (without giving all my source
> to MS) would take me at least one or two days. I'm
> already paying for this stuff...

> Will I think I'll wait for MS to eventually find and fix
> it.

> Thank you for replying anyway

> Christian

> >-----Original Message-----
> >Here would be good. People from the VC++ compiler team
> are known to drop by
> >occassionally.

> >You could also ring MS on the support line, but be
> *really* sure you have a
> >bug, or you'll be charged a veritable arm, leg, and
> other various
> >appendages.

> >  -- Dan



> >> Hi all,

> >> I discovered a bug in the "optimize for size" version
> of
> >> our library.
> >> We checked it thouroughly (while all the gcc fans here
> >> were laughing).
> >> It is compiled with VS Studio 2003 with full optimize
> >> options for size.

> >> Does anyone know where at Microsoft I should report /
> get
> >> a fix on this ?

> >> Thank you all

> >> Christian

> >.



Tue, 25 Oct 2005 20:25:55 GMT  
 Very probably a bug in the code generator of VC++ 2003

--------------------

Quote:
>Subject: Re: Very probably a bug in the code generator of VC++ 2003
>Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 03:07:53 -0700

>Mmmmmmhhh

>At digital they offered you a bottle of champagne when
>you found a serious bug, here I might (Though I'm sure of
>my case) have to pay for it... Something doesn't sound
>right here.
>To recreate the situation (without giving all my source
>to MS) would take me at least one or two days. I'm
>already paying for this stuff...

>Will I think I'll wait for MS to eventually find and fix
>it.

>Thank you for replying anyway

>Christian

>>-----Original Message-----
>>Here would be good. People from the VC++ compiler team
>are known to drop by
>>occassionally.

>>You could also ring MS on the support line, but be
>*really* sure you have a
>>bug, or you'll be charged a veritable arm, leg, and
>other various
>>appendages.

>>  -- Dan



>>> Hi all,

>>> I discovered a bug in the "optimize for size" version
>of
>>> our library.
>>> We checked it thouroughly (while all the gcc fans here
>>> were laughing).
>>> It is compiled with VS Studio 2003 with full optimize
>>> options for size.

>>> Does anyone know where at Microsoft I should report /
>get
>>> a fix on this ?

>>> Thank you all

>>> Christian

Well, we will need a repro case to figure out what the problem is.  Rather
than sending us all your source, preprocessing the particular source file
that demonstrates the bug with the /I compiler option and sending us that
preprocessed file along with your full compiler command line and where you
think the code is incorrect should be enough for us to figure out where the
problem is.  If you can come up with this, let me know and I'll send you
directions on how to upload the file.  

--
Richard Kuhn, Visual C++ Team
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.



Wed, 26 Oct 2005 02:11:01 GMT  
 Very probably a bug in the code generator of VC++ 2003
OK the bug description and package is ready, could you
send me the instructions ?

Thank you

Christian

Quote:
>-----Original Message-----

>>>> Christian

>Well, we will need a repro case to figure out what the

problem is.  Rather
Quote:
>than sending us all your source, preprocessing the

particular source file
Quote:
>that demonstrates the bug with the /I compiler option

and sending us that
Quote:
>preprocessed file along with your full compiler command
line and where you
>think the code is incorrect should be enough for us to

figure out where the
Quote:
>problem is.  If you can come up with this, let me know
and I'll send you
>directions on how to upload the file.  

>--
>Richard Kuhn, Visual C++ Team
>This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and
confers no rights.

>.



Sat, 29 Oct 2005 18:11:40 GMT  
 Very probably a bug in the code generator of VC++ 2003
Quote:

> OK the bug description and package is ready, could you
> send me the instructions ?


Arnaud
MVP - VC



Sat, 29 Oct 2005 22:51:36 GMT  
 Very probably a bug in the code generator of VC++ 2003

Quote:


> > OK the bug description and package is ready, could you
> > send me the instructions ?



Typically, you need to remove the "online" from the email address.

--
Craig Powers
MVP - Visual C++



Sun, 30 Oct 2005 03:48:56 GMT  
 Very probably a bug in the code generator of VC++ 2003

Quote:
>-----Original Message-----




Quote:
>> > OK the bug description and package is ready, could
you
>> > send me the instructions ?

>> You'd better mail directly to Richard


Quote:

>Typically, you need to remove the "online" from the
email address.

>--
>Craig Powers
>MVP - Visual C++
>.

Thank you


Sun, 30 Oct 2005 15:55:06 GMT  
 Very probably a bug in the code generator of VC++ 2003

--------------------

Quote:

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vc.language
>Subject: Re: Very probably a bug in the code generator of VC++ 2003
>Date: 13 May 2003 07:51:36 -0700




Quote:
>> OK the bug description and package is ready, could you
>> send me the instructions ?


>Arnaud
>MVP - VC

Christian, sorry about not responding to your post the other day.  I was
out of the office for a couple of days.  I've got the email you sent so
I'll look through it later today and see if I have everything I need to
reproduce the problem and I'll get back to you.

Thanks,

--
Richard Kuhn, Visual C++ Team
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.



Mon, 31 Oct 2005 01:01:16 GMT  
 Very probably a bug in the code generator of VC++ 2003

--------------------

Quote:

>Organization: Microsoft
>Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 17:01:16 GMT

>--------------------

>>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vc.language
>>Subject: Re: Very probably a bug in the code generator of VC++ 2003
>>Date: 13 May 2003 07:51:36 -0700



>>> OK the bug description and package is ready, could you
>>> send me the instructions ?


>>Arnaud
>>MVP - VC

>Christian, sorry about not responding to your post the other day.  I was
>out of the office for a couple of days.  I've got the email you sent so
>I'll look through it later today and see if I have everything I need to
>reproduce the problem and I'll get back to you.

>Thanks,

Christian, no attachment came through with the email you sent to me, but
before I get you directions to upload the repro to me, I'd like to ask a
few questions that could effect what I need for a repro.  Does the problem
only reproduce with "Whole program optimisation" or if you turn off Whole
program optimisation, but still do a retail build does the problem
reproduce?

Also, from what was in the email:

    for(offset=current;offset<length;offset++)
     {
      if(str.charAt(offset)=='(')
       {
        // got name;

        service=OLNEW
SMService(getUnescapeSubString(str,current,offset-current));              
// HERE IS THE PROBLEM
        break;
       }
     }

    So when calling getUnescapeSubString the parameter 2 and three should
be 0 and 4 respectively
    So the two push ecx are wrong.

While I would agree the two push ecx instructions in a row for current, and
offset-current don't look correct, from the source I got in the email, I
don't see why you'd expect the values to be 0 and 4.  Just curious.

Anyway, let me know if the problem reproduces with Whole program
optimizations turned off and I'll let you what I need and how to send it to
us.

Thanks again,

--
Richard Kuhn, Visual C++ Team
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.



Mon, 31 Oct 2005 06:07:04 GMT  
 Very probably a bug in the code generator of VC++ 2003
We were able to contact Christian offline and managed to repro the bug. The
issue was recorded as issue number:139219.

Thanks for reporting the issue Christian.
--------------------

Quote:
>Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message


>Subject: Very probably a bug in the code generator of VC++ 2003
>Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 07:17:44 -0700
>Lines: 18

>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain;
>    charset="iso-8859-1"
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
>X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4910.0300
>Thread-Index: AcMVbJgMhyrls6AGS7egezJmZBb1QQ==
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vc.language
>Path: cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl
>Xref: cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl microsoft.public.vc.language:188875
>NNTP-Posting-Host: TK2MSFTNGXA08 10.40.1.160
>X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.vc.language

>Hi all,

>I discovered a bug in the "optimize for size" version of
>our library.
>We checked it thouroughly (while all the gcc fans here
>were laughing).
>It is compiled with VS Studio 2003 with full optimize
>options for size.

>Does anyone know where at Microsoft I should report / get
>a fix on this ?

>Thank you all

>Christian

--
Ayman Shoukry, Visual C++ Team
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.


Mon, 05 Dec 2005 07:38:57 GMT  
 
 [ 13 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. VC++ 2003 c2.dll bug D2029

2. VC .NET 2003 l-value bug?

3. 2 bugs in VC++ 2003

4. VC++ 2003 template bug?

5. VC++ 2003 compiler bug

6. VC.NET 2003 IDE bug report

7. ambiguous code generation in VC++ 2003

8. probably VC++7 bug

9. Problem porting ATL project from VC++ 6.0 to VC++.NET 2003

10. Converting project from VC++ 2002 to VC++ 2003 and adding a new configuration

11. Slower compilation with VC Net 2003 (7.1) when compared to VC Net 7.0

12. Converting project from VC++ 2002 to VC++ 2003 and adding a new configuration

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software