creating software protection
Author Message
 creating software protection

I've just downloaded example code from CrypKey, and despite the number
of times they say they're the best, their code locked up my machine
twice and simply didn't work once, all within one hour of testing. I'm
NOT paying $4,000 for that. In fact, you couldn't pay me $4,000 to use
it!

I want to write my own software protection code, based on specs from a
user's hard drive that will remain even AFTER a format, and their BIOS.
I'll be protecting a $33 program, so if the user wants to put together
an identical system to pirate my code, he's quite welcome.

From VC++, are there commands that let me read information from the BIOS
and/or from the hard drive? From both, I want unchangeable information
such as the brand of the BIOS, the serial number of the BIOS (if any),
the size of the hard drive, the number of sectors of the hard drive, the
brand of the hard drive, etc. Maybe some of this information cannot be
obtained programmatically, and I'm almost certainly overlooking
something. If anybody helps me out here, you get a free copy of my
cheap game :) once its ready.

Bruce Mihura

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 26 Feb 2003 00:30:53 GMT
 creating software protection

Quote:
> I've just downloaded example code from CrypKey, and despite the number
> of times they say they're the best, their code locked up my machine
> twice and simply didn't work once, all within one hour of testing. I'm
> NOT paying $4,000 for that. In fact, you couldn't pay me $4,000 to use
> it!

> I want to write my own software protection code, based on specs from a
> user's hard drive that will remain even AFTER a format, and their BIOS.
> I'll be protecting a $33 program, so if the user wants to put together
> an identical system to pirate my code, he's quite welcome.

> From VC++, are there commands that let me read information from the BIOS
> and/or from the hard drive? From both, I want unchangeable information
> such as the brand of the BIOS, the serial number of the BIOS (if any),
> the size of the hard drive, the number of sectors of the hard drive, the
> brand of the hard drive, etc. Maybe some of this information cannot be
> obtained programmatically, and I'm almost certainly overlooking
> something. If anybody helps me out here, you get a free copy of my
> cheap game :) once its ready.

You are wasting your time. This won't help sell your software, may harm its
sales, and won't work reliably - see your problems with CrypKey. Copy
protection is dead.

NeilB

Wed, 26 Feb 2003 02:32:32 GMT
 creating software protection
You may be right, but I'm going to try anyway, as I don't require
anything close to 100% reliability. Once again, does anybody know how to
get the drive & bios info programmatically?

Quote:

> You are wasting your time. This won't help sell your software, may
harm its
> sales, and won't work reliably - see your problems with CrypKey. Copy
> protection is dead.

> NeilB

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 26 Feb 2003 02:56:47 GMT
 creating software protection
Hi Bruce,

Go to http://www.winsim.com/diskid32/diskid32.html
for the hard drive serial number source code.  This is the
hard drive serial that is burned into the hard drive rom
by the manufactor.

Sample DiskId32 Output for a 7 GB Maxtor hard drive:

Primary Controller - Master drive

Drive Model Number________________: Maxtor 87000D8
Drive Serial Number_______________: F80AMMEA
Drive Controller Revision Number__: TAVX3222
Controller Buffer Size on Drive___: 262144 bytes
Drive Type________________________: Fixed
Physical Geometry: 14475 Cylinders 15 Heads 63 Sectors per track

Do not use anything from the BIOS.  The BIOS changes
when it is flashed.

Do not use the volume serial number.  It changes when
the disk is reformatted.  Or it can be changed by a number
of public domain utilities (search for volumeid at
www.sysinternals.com ).

For encryting and decrypting your passsword, use blowfish
from http://www.counterpane.com/blowfish.html

BTW, you can thank me for the code by sending me the
DISKID32 outputs from your hard drives !

Good Luck,
Lynn McGuire

Wed, 26 Feb 2003 07:11:25 GMT
 creating software protection
These articles are geared towards Anti Reverse Engineering in general, and
not how to read the bios date or hard drive in particular:

http://www.searchlores.org/protec/protec.htm
http://www.cat-soft.com/warez.htm
http://inner-smile.com/nocrack.htm
http://www.soft4you.com/vitas/antihack.htm

Jeff

I've just downloaded example code from CrypKey, and despite the number
of times they say they're the best, their code locked up my machine
twice and simply didn't work once, all within one hour of testing. I'm
NOT paying $4,000 for that. In fact, you couldn't pay me $4,000 to use
it!

I want to write my own software protection code, based on specs from a
user's hard drive that will remain even AFTER a format, and their BIOS.
I'll be protecting a $33 program, so if the user wants to put together
an identical system to pirate my code, he's quite welcome.

From VC++, are there commands that let me read information from the BIOS
and/or from the hard drive? From both, I want unchangeable information
such as the brand of the BIOS, the serial number of the BIOS (if any),
the size of the hard drive, the number of sectors of the hard drive, the
brand of the hard drive, etc. Maybe some of this information cannot be
obtained programmatically, and I'm almost certainly overlooking
something. If anybody helps me out here, you get a free copy of my
cheap game :) once its ready.

Bruce Mihura

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Thu, 27 Feb 2003 08:34:03 GMT
 creating software protection
BTW, here's a way to rip the protection:
http://208.50.16.104/marycri1.htm

Jeff

================================

[...]

From VC++, are there commands that let me read information from the BIOS
and/or from the hard drive? From both, I want unchangeable information
such as the brand of the BIOS, the serial number of the BIOS (if any),
the size of the hard drive, the number of sectors of the hard drive, the
brand of the hard drive, etc. Maybe some of this information cannot be
obtained programmatically, and I'm almost certainly overlooking
something. If anybody helps me out here, you get a free copy of my
cheap game :) once its ready.

Bruce Mihura

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Thu, 27 Feb 2003 08:57:26 GMT
 creating software protection
Jeff,

Thanks very much for these useful links! I did not know much of this,
and I'm sure it will help me very much.

If you feel like sending me a repliable email address, I'll be happy to
give you a free copy of my game.

Bruce

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 02 Mar 2003 10:12:13 GMT
 creating software protection
Have you tried Softlocx available here: www.bit-arts.com
They reckon its the world's most powerful protection (which I thought
was more marketing hype when I saw it). I did my research however & I
started believing them - word on the grapevine appears to be that it
near impossible to crack which is good enough for me & my app.
They have some nifty routines that combat HD formating etc like PC
specific serial numbers & PC specific backup licenses.

Give it a go & let us know what you think...

BH.

Quote:

> Jeff,

> Thanks very much for these useful links! I did not know much of this,
> and I'm sure it will help me very much.

> If you feel like sending me a repliable email address, I'll be happy
> give you a free copy of my game.

> Bruce

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 17 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Software Protection ?

2. Software Protection Survey

3. software protection question

4. Software protection ?????

5. Software Protection Device Analysis / Emulation

6. NOTE: Software Protection Device - DONGLE Emulation

7. Software Locking / Copy Protection ......HELP!!!

8. Anti-copying software protection

9. protection of my software

10. Software Protection?

11. Software Protection

12. Seeking info on copy protection / timeout software