The most frustrating windows bug i've seen
Author Message
 The most frustrating windows bug i've seen

This is regarding handling of Non client messages by windows.
i am using vc++ 6.0 and windows 2000 server.

i am using a modeless dialog box.

I have a dialog box. i want to capture the WM_NCLBUTTONUP message.
though i get WM_NCLBUTTONDOWN messages, i DONT get WM_NCLBUTTONUP
messages when i click on the non client area of the dialog box.

what is wierder is that i get a WM_NCLBUTTONUP when i double click on
the non client area of the dialog box.

one more twist is this - if i press my mouse down outside the dialog
box and then release it in the non client area of the dialog box, i get
the GODDAMNED WM_NCLBUTTONUP message.

i have cross checked my results using spy++. Does anybody have a hint
of whassup. why is windows not sending me a WM_NCLBUTTONDOWN FOLLOWED
BY A WM_NCLBUTTONUP when i click on the non client area of a dialog
box ?

Regards,
-Vinayak Raghuvamshi.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Fri, 04 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 The most frustrating windows bug i've seen

Does it behave the same way on different implementations of Win32?
.a

[snip]

Fri, 04 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 The most frustrating windows bug i've seen
I dont know. i currently have access only to windows 2000 boxes. i
would appreciate it if some body could test this behaviour on other
win32 systems.

The problem is ALWAYS reproducable on windows 2000 . steps to reproduce
it are very simple.

1. display a dialogbox (even the about box of default MFC apps will do).

2. override the WM_NCLBUTTONDOWN and WM_NCLBUTTONUP events.

3. you will see that you dont get the WM_NCLBUTTONUP message as
expected.

regards,
-Vinayak Raghuvamshi.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Fri, 04 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 The most frustrating windows bug i've seen

Messages are routed to the window under which they happened.
So when you move your mouse outside of the dialog, you will not see any
MOUSEUP.
When you release the mouse under your dialog, you will see MOUSEUP.

Regards, Jan

--

Jan Bares
(remove no.spam from my email address)

Quote:
> This is regarding handling of Non client messages by windows.
> i am using vc++ 6.0 and windows 2000 server.

> i am using a modeless dialog box.

> I have a dialog box. i want to capture the WM_NCLBUTTONUP message.
> though i get WM_NCLBUTTONDOWN messages, i DONT get WM_NCLBUTTONUP
> messages when i click on the non client area of the dialog box.

> what is wierder is that i get a WM_NCLBUTTONUP when i double click on
> the non client area of the dialog box.

> one more twist is this - if i press my mouse down outside the dialog
> box and then release it in the non client area of the dialog box, i get
> the GODDAMNED WM_NCLBUTTONUP message.

> i have cross checked my results using spy++. Does anybody have a hint
> of whassup. why is windows not sending me a WM_NCLBUTTONDOWN FOLLOWED
> BY A WM_NCLBUTTONUP when i click on the non client area of a dialog
> box ?

> Regards,
> -Vinayak Raghuvamshi.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sat, 05 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. When is a -ve number +ve in ANSI?

2. Worst (not neccesarily just obfuscated) code you've seen?

3. ide settings put on new machine how do I do this (i know I've seen it somewhere before)

4. frustrated (here's the code :-) )

5. frustrated (here's the code :-) )

6. Newbie Question (I'm sooo frustrated!)

7. The weirdest bug I have ever seen

8. HAS ANYONE SEEN THIS BUG?

9. WinXP ListBox ownerdraw bug - Anyone else seeing this?

10. Oldest C compiler you've used?

11. How to use xxgdb -- I've got a problem

12. I've been learning C for a short time now.......(continued)