Visual C++ 6.0 on win98 VS win-nt
Author Message
 Visual C++ 6.0 on win98 VS win-nt

Thanks in advance,

Would someone know why the following windows application error
would be reported (via
Visual C++ version 6.0  that ran on my workstation/environment,
but didn't run on another machine with the same version of visual
C++).  Only difference, the version that it ran on was my PC on
windows 98 whereas the compiler reported this error on my
workstation running windows NT).

Thanks again

      meas.exe - Application Error
      The instruction at 0x00406a2c referenced memory at
"0x0000001". The memory
could not be read.

UNHANDLED EXCEPTION  IN MEAS.EXE
str_misaligned: 00406a2c mov al, byte ptr [ecx]

Thu, 27 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual C++ 6.0 on win98 VS win-nt
Well, your application is trying to read memory at memory location 1.
This is a clear sign that you are attempting to dereference a NULL or
invalid pointer.  98 may only be allowing the bug to surface.  Chances
are, the bug is there under both NT and 98, just that NT for some
reason masks the problem (possibly the stack is intialized to valid
memory by accident).

Since programs load into memory at 0x00400000, you can assume that the
bad code is 6a2c bytes into the program.  Set the compiler to generate
map files and you can determine which function has the offending code.
Then you can narrow it down.

Quote:
> Thanks in advance,

> Would someone know why the following windows application error
> would be reported (via
> visual C++ version 6.0  that ran on my workstation/environment,
> but didn't run on another machine with the same version of visual
> C++).  Only difference, the version that it ran on was my PC on
> windows 98 whereas the compiler reported this error on my
> workstation running windows NT).

> Thanks again

>       meas.exe - Application Error
>       The instruction at 0x00406a2c referenced memory at
> "0x0000001". The memory
> could not be read.

> UNHANDLED EXCEPTION  IN MEAS.EXE
> str_misaligned: 00406a2c mov al, byte ptr [ecx]

Thu, 27 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Visual C++ 6.0 vs. Visual C++ .NET

2. Microsoft Visual Studio.NET V.S. Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0

3. C++ Builder 4 vs Visual C++ 6.0

4. DAO Win95 vs Win98 vs WinNT

5. Visual C++ vs Visual Basic vs Visual J++

6. Visual C++ 6.0 and Visual Basic 6.0 on Win NT 4.0 Arabic.

7. Visual C++ 6.0 and Visual Basic 6.0 on Win NT 4.0 Arabic.

8. Visual C++ 6.0 and Visual Basic 6.0 on Win NT 4.0 Arabic.

9. Problem with Visual Studio 6.0 (Visual C++ 6.0) !!!!

10. Compatibility of Visual C++ 6.0 98/NT with Windows ME

11. Odd conditional behaviour with gcc vs SunPro C or MS Visual C++ 6.0

12. win 98 series2 - visual c++ vs 6