Good book for learning C/C++
Author Message
 Good book for learning C/C++

Hi. Right now i'm working primarily in VB but I have experience in other
languages as well. I've got a good grasp on programming concepts and
essentials, including OO development, reusable components, encapsulation,
etc. I've done some pretty nifty things with VB ActiveX, but I'd like to
move on to the next level.

Recently, I've been reading an excellent book called 'Inside COM' (MS Press)
which discusses the development of COM components using Visual C++.
Although, I'm not a C developer, I specifically chose this book since I knew
that it would discuss all of the nitty gritty details that are hidden by
using VB to develop ActiveX. This book is excellent and has whetted my
appetite for more on C/C++ development.

Can anyone recommend a good book for a self-study in C/C++ development?
Remember, although I am new to C in particular, in general I am a fairly
experienced programmer having about 12 years programming experience, first
with COBOL and subsequently with VB.

Thanks for your help,

Joseph Geretz
(replace nospam with fpsnow to reply by e-mail)

Focal Point Solutions, Inc.
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Thu, 03 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Good book for learning C/C++
You could take a look at bruce Eckel's new book which is available on the
web at

http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/tic/tic_c.shtml

or at www.bruceeckel.com

Note that this will be a general (not microsoft specific) C++ text so won't
cover ActiveX, COM etc.
but maybe it'll give you some ground work.

Paul

Fri, 04 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Good book for learning C/C++

Quote:
> Can anyone recommend a good book for a self-study in C/C++ development?

You want to read the FAQs at these URLs.  Pay
attention to the further books and FAQS they recommend.

The C++ FAQ lite
http://www.cerfnet.com/~mpcline/c++-faq-lite/index.html

An MFC FAQ
http://mfcfaq.stingray.com/

Here is the MVP faq
http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq/

Codeguru has a bunch of stuff
http://www.codeguru.com

And you should be able to find some good book reviews here.
http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/0sb/beginner_s_c__.htm

For coding in Visual C/C++, you want to go through
the tutorials, and read the examples. Start with the
Scribble tutorial.  Probably the books you want to
start with are the one by Petzold and the one by
Prosise.

Read Schaum's outline on C++.  Cheap, quick, easy,
lots of worked examples. Just don't let it be your
last book, because it is by no means even close
to complete. It will help you up the learning curve.

The cannonical reference on the C++ language is
_The C++ Language (3rd Edition)_ by Stroustrup.
If you are planning to be in the industry, you
really want to get and *carefully* read this.

--
Dan Evens
Standard disclaimers etc. No spam please.

Fri, 04 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Books: Which ones best for learning C/C++

2. Best book(s) for learning C, C++?

3. Good books for learning c/c++?

4. Best books on using VC and learning C++ ?

5. Best book for learning pointers & reference book

7. Looking for good textbook for CS course

8. FS: Programming and CS Books --- CHEAP

9. Good CS Programs

10. Is MS Visual C++ 4 a good compiler to learn C++ (i'm beginner)

11. Need a good learning / reference book