use of the carry flag (and/or overflow)

tia,
 aaron

Thu, 03 Mar 2005 02:59:28 GMT
 carry flag

Quote:

> Is there any intrinsic function to make
> use of the carry flag (and/or overflow)

Maybe something in the _control87 / _controlfp family?

Fri, 04 Mar 2005 21:33:40 GMT
 carry flag
You need to use inline assembly. See __asm
--
With best wishes,
    Igor Tandetnik

and wrong." H.L. Mencken

Quote:
> Is there any intrinsic function to make
> use of the carry flag (and/or overflow)

> tia,
>  aaron

Sat, 05 Mar 2005 06:48:00 GMT
 carry flag

Quote:

> > Is there any intrinsic function to make
> > use of the carry flag (and/or overflow)

> > tia,
> >  aaron

> You need to use inline assembly. See __asm
> --

The key word in my post was "intrinsic"

I need a method that is understood by the
compiler similar to intrinsic addition,
multiplication, bit shifts, etc. I wish
for a method that the compiler understands
enough to optimize.

Inline assembly will just plop down whatever
exact code I type, this is not what i want/need.

Quote:
> With best wishes,
>     Igor Tandetnik

> and wrong." H.L. Mencken

Sat, 05 Mar 2005 07:13:18 GMT
 carry flag
The method of doing exactly what? You've never stated your problem, you
know.
--
With best wishes,
    Igor Tandetnik

and wrong." H.L. Mencken

Quote:
> I need a method that is understood by the
> compiler similar to intrinsic addition,
> multiplication, bit shifts, etc. I wish
> for a method that the compiler understands
> enough to optimize.

Sat, 05 Mar 2005 21:43:13 GMT
 carry flag

Quote:

> The method of doing exactly what? You've never stated your problem, you
> know.
> --
> With best wishes,
>     Igor Tandetnik

> and wrong." H.L. Mencken

> > I need a method that is understood by the
> > compiler similar to intrinsic addition,
> > multiplication, bit shifts, etc. I wish
> > for a method that the compiler understands
> > enough to optimize.

stop top posting, and read my post.

i have made it clear what i am looking for,
as i've stated it twice.

Sun, 06 Mar 2005 05:38:34 GMT
 carry flag

Quote:

> stop top posting

You should note that top posting is the standard behavior in
microsoft.public.* groups.

Trying to get Igor to change is like picking up a grain of sand on a hot
beach and saying "hey, stop being so hot!"

Sun, 06 Mar 2005 06:05:33 GMT
 carry flag

Quote:
> stop top posting, and read my post.

> i have made it clear what i am looking for,
> as i've stated it twice.

You've stated the solution you're looking for, not the problem you're trying
to solve.

The answer to the question you've asked is "No".

-cd

Sun, 06 Mar 2005 05:49:12 GMT
 carry flag

Quote:

> > stop top posting

> You should note that top posting is the standard behavior in
> microsoft.public.* groups.

I wouldn't say it's standard behavior, exactly, more that it's a lot
more widespread and accepted than in Usenet at large.

Sun, 06 Mar 2005 06:33:05 GMT

1. Access carry flag from C

2. carry flag intrinsic

3. Carry flag in C

4. /Zm flag seems to negate the /Zi flag

5. Loop carried dependencies

6. Carry In C

7. Start And Stop, Then Carry On Loop

8. Carrying around excess baggage.

9. cannot carry on with first program

10. cannot carry on with first program

11. How to carry out antialiasing to text?

12. Access to the Carry bit from C.