Visual C++ fails building my ATL project
Author Message
 Visual C++ fails building my ATL project

Hi,

When I use VC++ to build an ATL EXE project the build fails right at the
end. The module links successfully but does not register. I see the message
'Performing Registration' then the system blue screens with an Exception 0E
at 0028:816FC696 in VxD ---.

It seems to be connected to any attempt to run an external command. It fails
even if I just put an echo command in there. I have not (yet) tried the same
with an ATL DLL.

I have tried a complete uninstall/reinstall of Visual C++. I get the same
with/without Visual Studio service pack 3.

I am using a Dell Inspiron 7500 600MHz processor, 128Mb, 18Gb, Win98 SE,
VC++ 6.0 (SP3 makes no difference).

I have installed PartitionMagic and repartitioned the hard disk. No other
program is misbehaving and VC++ is fine for building ordinary MFC projects
and straight C/C++ code. Anyone seen anything similar? I couldn't find any
good matches on the Web, or at MS, but you might do better than me...

Thanks for reading this far.

--
Best - Richard

address

Fri, 22 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual C++ fails building my ATL project
Greets,

    While I have not seen this, perhaps there is some investigating that may
help narrow down the problem.  First, what operating system is in use for
the development?

    Can you copy the project to another directory, then try removing the
custom build step and register the component by hand to see if the problem
still occurs?  You will need to run your executable and pass /regserver on
the command line.  Also, can you build a very simple ATL EXE project (I am
assuming this is a local server) with no implementation and get the same
results during the registration?

Regards,

Joe

Quote:
> Hi,

> When I use VC++ to build an ATL EXE project the build fails right at the
> end. The module links successfully but does not register. I see the
message
> 'Performing Registration' then the system blue screens with an Exception
0E
> at 0028:816FC696 in VxD ---.

> It seems to be connected to any attempt to run an external command. It
fails
> even if I just put an echo command in there. I have not (yet) tried the
same
> with an ATL DLL.

> I have tried a complete uninstall/reinstall of Visual C++. I get the same
> with/without Visual Studio service pack 3.

> I am using a Dell Inspiron 7500 600MHz processor, 128Mb, 18Gb, Win98 SE,
> VC++ 6.0 (SP3 makes no difference).

> I have installed PartitionMagic and repartitioned the hard disk. No other
> program is misbehaving and VC++ is fine for building ordinary MFC projects
> and straight C/C++ code. Anyone seen anything similar? I couldn't find any
> good matches on the Web, or at MS, but you might do better than me...

> Thanks for reading this far.

> --
> Best - Richard

email
> address

Fri, 22 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual C++ fails building my ATL project
Hi,

OS is Win98 SE. It works on my other laptop (also Win98 SE), and an NT4
desktop. Even a minimal server fails in the custom build step. The server
itself registers fine if run from the command line. It seems to be related
to VC starting the commands in the custom build step. Even just an echo
command will fail in the same way. OTOH it can happily run the commands on
the tools pulldown and spawns the compiler itself happily.

Any more ideas, cos I am stumped. I believe it's somthing to do with the
machine (possibly) or this machine's install of Win98 (maybe more likely)
but I don't know what to fiddle with next. I don't really want to be
formatting the disk and starting over. The machine is nearly new (three
weeks ish) and I'd like to keep the factory optimized (grin!) install.

Thanks.

Quote:
> Greets,

>     While I have not seen this, perhaps there is some investigating that
may
> help narrow down the problem.  First, what operating system is in use for
> the development?

>     Can you copy the project to another directory, then try removing the
> custom build step and register the component by hand to see if the problem
> still occurs?  You will need to run your executable and pass /regserver on
> the command line.  Also, can you build a very simple ATL EXE project (I am
> assuming this is a local server) with no implementation and get the same
> results during the registration?

> Regards,

> Joe

> > Hi,

> > When I use VC++ to build an ATL EXE project the build fails right at the
> > end. The module links successfully but does not register. I see the
> message
> > 'Performing Registration' then the system blue screens with an Exception
> 0E
> > at 0028:816FC696 in VxD ---.

> > It seems to be connected to any attempt to run an external command. It
> fails
> > even if I just put an echo command in there. I have not (yet) tried the
> same
> > with an ATL DLL.

> > I have tried a complete uninstall/reinstall of Visual C++. I get the
same
> > with/without Visual Studio service pack 3.

> > I am using a Dell Inspiron 7500 600MHz processor, 128Mb, 18Gb, Win98 SE,
> > VC++ 6.0 (SP3 makes no difference).

> > I have installed PartitionMagic and repartitioned the hard disk. No
other
> > program is misbehaving and VC++ is fine for building ordinary MFC
projects
> > and straight C/C++ code. Anyone seen anything similar? I couldn't find
any
> > good matches on the Web, or at MS, but you might do better than me...

> > Thanks for reading this far.

> > --
> > Best - Richard

> email
> > address

Fri, 22 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. How does one select the Sub-Project Build in Visual C++ 6.0

2. Building a project from command line in Visual C++ 5.0

3. Visual C++ hangs when doing custom build in MFC project

4. Microsoft Visual C++ v6.0 : Project build problem.

5. Problem building a AppWizard Dll project in Visual C++ 5.0

6. Visual C++ .net atl project depends on shlwapi.dll

7. Visual C++ Version 4(Projects and Sub-Projects) Help Please

8. Project References Build Fails

9. Including a Visual C-project into Visual C++

10. ANN: CopyWiz - Easily Copy and Rename Visual C++ and Visual Basic Projects

11. Batch file build of ATL fails

12. ANN: CopyWiz - Easily Copy and Rename Visual C++ and Visual Basic Projects