Is it worth it to upgrade to VC++ 5 from VC++ 4 ?
Author Message
 Is it worth it to upgrade to VC++ 5 from VC++ 4 ?

I'm new to the MFC world. I'm just now learning  the  MFC. I'm using
VC++ 4.0, which I bought a couple of years ago. Right after that project
started , we switched back to SUN so I didn't really get a feel for it.
I teaching myself now, and I wonder if it is worth it to upgrade to 5.0.
I'd like to start out with some simple database projects.
I was thinking that these databases I've written in Access97 would be a
good place to start. They are youyr basic rolodex/contact manager type
things. Any suggestions ?

TIA

Leroy

Sun, 30 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Is it worth it to upgrade to VC++ 5 from VC++ 4 ?

I had to work on a machine a few weeks ago that had 4.2 loaded and to me it
was like trying to go back to Win 3.1 from Win '95 or Win 'NT.  I really
like some of the new interface and optimizing stuff that 5.0 has (as long as
you have the service pack updates which are available from the web.)  There
is not a lot of new stuff in the database objects, but the whole feel of the
IDE is better IMHO.

Tom

Quote:

> I'm new to the MFC world. I'm just now learning  the  MFC. I'm using
> VC++ 4.0, which I bought a couple of years ago. Right after that project
> started , we switched back to SUN so I didn't really get a feel for it.
> I teaching myself now, and I wonder if it is worth it to upgrade to 5.0.
> I'd like to start out with some simple database projects.
> I was thinking that these databases I've written in Access97 would be a
> good place to start. They are youyr basic rolodex/contact manager type
> things. Any suggestions ?

> TIA

> Leroy

Sun, 30 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Is it worth it to upgrade to VC++ 5 from VC++ 4 ?

For production code, yes.  But for learning, I wouldn't be in a big
hurry to upgrade.  The online help in VC5 is a big step backwards and is
likely to lead you to some dead ends.

Quote:

> I'm new to the MFC world. I'm just now learning  the  MFC. I'm using
> VC++ 4.0, which I bought a couple of years ago. Right after that project
> started , we switched back to SUN so I didn't really get a feel for it.
> I teaching myself now, and I wonder if it is worth it to upgrade to 5.0.
> I'd like to start out with some simple database projects.
> I was thinking that these databases I've written in Access97 would be a
> good place to start. They are youyr basic rolodex/contact manager type
> things. Any suggestions ?

> TIA

> Leroy

Sun, 30 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. upgrade of dll from vc++ 6.0 to vc++.net

2. upgrade from VC++ 6 to VC.NET

3. Upgrading VC 5 to VC 6 with DAO

4. Upgrading (?) VC++ 4.0 Prof to VC++ 4.2 Prof

5. Upgrading VC 6 to VC.Net

6. Problem upgrading from VC 5.0 to VC 6.0

7. Student upgrade VC++4.0 Pro to VC++5.0 Enterprise

8. Upgrading VC 6.0 custom appwizard application to VC .NET

9. Is VC5 to VC6 upgrade worth the cost?

10. Worth Upgrade To Visual C++ 7?

11. VC++ 6: Worth the purchase?

12. VC 4.0 - 5.0, is it worth it?