SGI-STL and VC++ 5.0
Author Message
 SGI-STL and VC++ 5.0

Hi,

according to the SGI STL web page, the current release of the SGI STL
can be used with VC++ unmodified. However, my tests showed the
following:

1) It is possible to use the SGI STL with "pure" VC++ 5.0

2) It is impossible to use the SGI STL together with the VC++ strings
and iostreams of the C++ standard library. I get compilation errors even
on the simplest test programs:

--- cut here ---

#include <vector.h>
#include <cstdio>
#include <iostream> // uncomment this include and it works ;-(

using namespace std;

main()
{
        vector<int> theVec;

        for( int i = 0; i < 500; i++ )
                theVec.push_back(i);

Quote:
}

D:\win32app\MSDev\sgi-stl\vector.h(351) : error C2667: 'copy_backward' :
none of 2 overload have a best conversion

--- cut here ---

My question: Is it possible to use the SGI STL together with the rest of
the C++ standard library of VC++ in any way?

Thanks for your help

--
Christof Stadler
To reply via email, please edit from-field

Tue, 25 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 SGI-STL and VC++ 5.0

Quote:

>Hi,

>according to the SGI STL web page, the current release of the SGI STL
>can be used with VC++ unmodified. However, my tests showed the
>following:

>1) It is possible to use the SGI STL with "pure" VC++ 5.0

>2) It is impossible to use the SGI STL together with the VC++ strings
>and iostreams of the C++ standard library. I get compilation errors even
>on the simplest test programs:

>My question: Is it possible to use the SGI STL together with the rest of
>the C++ standard library of VC++ in any way?

In order to use the SGI STL with VC++ iostreams, you would have to use
the "old" iostreams declared in <iostream.h>.

If you include <iostream> or any of the other "new" headers like
<string>, then you end up including many other things from the std
namespace.  These other things will eventually conflict with the SGI
stuff, leading to errors like the one you are seeing.

--Bob

DeltaLogic, Inc.                           http://www.deltalogic.com
1537 Kew Road                                   Voice (216) 321-8200
Cleveland Hts, OH 44118-1204                    Fax   (216) 321-6976

Wed, 26 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 SGI-STL and VC++ 5.0

Quote:

> If you include <iostream> or any of the other "new" headers like <string>,
> then you end up including many other things from the std namespace.  These
> other things will eventually conflict with the SGI stuff, leading to
> errors like the one you are seeing.

Bad news for me. This makes it impossible to replace the STL of VC++
with the STL from SGI.

Are there any implementations of the hashed container classes of SGI STL
that are compatible with the standard C++ library of VC++?

--
Christof Stadler - To reply via email, please edit from-field.

Wed, 26 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 SGI-STL and VC++ 5.0

I have a MSVC++5.0 port of the latest version (release 2.02) of the
SGI STL. This version is fully compatible with the Microsoft's
implementation of <string> and <iostream>. This port uses the Standard
C++ new-style headers, i.e., include files without the '.h'. You can
download it from my web page. Be sure to read the readme file for
installation instructions and for instructions to compile with MFC. My
web page address is

        http://www.sirius.com/~ouchida

-- Wayne

Wed, 26 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. SGI STL and VC++ 5.0

2. SGI STL w/vc 5.0?

3. SGI STL w/ VC++ 5.0

4. Which SGI STL for VC++ 5.0 SP3 ?

5. VC 5.0 and SGI STL

6. Conflict between VC 7 STL and SGI STL - how to resolve

7. ATL conflict between VC 7 STL and SGI STL - how to resolve

8. SGI-STL or STL of VC++

9. VC++ STL v/s SGI STL Performance ???

10. sgi STL & vc++ 6.0

11. VC++ and STL (SGI Implementation)