coverting an 8 byte double to a 10 byte double?
Author Message
 coverting an 8 byte double to a 10 byte double?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to convert a number from a regular
double to a 10 byte double?

Thanks in advance.

Sat, 14 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 coverting an 8 byte double to a 10 byte double?
Why 10 bytes? Do you really need that much extra precision? You can't do it
natively anway (it's 8 bytes on today's PC) and will have to develop your
own class. I imagine there may be classes out there but given the high
precison you can already achieve in standard 8 byte IEEE floating point
format, I imagine the only use this would (generally) have is in scientific
applications. If you must forge ahead, I may be able to dig up some old
documentation on IEEE floating point format if you don't already have access
to it (assuming you can't find any existing class somewhere that already
does this - I'll check myself and get back to you - I may have something
yet). With the documentation in-hand, you can easily extend the principle to
as many bytes as you want but you'll have to roll your own routines for
processing this (arithmetic in particular).
Quote:

>Does anyone have any suggestions on how to convert a number from a regular
>double to a 10 byte double?

>Thanks in advance.

Sat, 14 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 coverting an 8 byte double to a 10 byte double?

Quote:
>Why 10 bytes? Do you really need that much extra precision? You can't do it
>natively anway (it's 8 bytes on today's PC)

This is inaccurate, x86 processors do include support 10-byte "extended
reals".  Check the x86 references, freely available from Intel's web site.

VC++ has not supported 10-byte reals since 16-bit days.  Depending on your
task, you might try rolling your own through some inline assembler.  Or you
might investigate some other x86 compilers that do offer support for
extended-reals.

Andrew

Sat, 14 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. 10 byte long double?

2. Byte Order for double

3. How to handle double byte characters?

4. Swapping bytes in a double

5. Building bytes into doubles, bit twiddling

6. 8-byte double long integer to floating point?

7. Double-Byte Guru Needed

8. double byte characters

9. Double Byte Resources

10. double byte characters

11. Aligning doubles to 8 byte boundaries

12. Double-byte character viewer