Good Books on C++ , Visual C++ , Oracle 8 and Developer 2000(forms6)
Author Message
 Good Books on C++ , Visual C++ , Oracle 8 and Developer 2000(forms6)

Could anyone recommend  Good Books (that's good for learning/ understanding/
referencing/ practicing with lots of examples/ samples) on C++ ,  Visual C++
, Oracle 8 and Developer 2000(forms6)

Thanks

Ed

Sat, 28 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Good Books on C++ , Visual C++ , Oracle 8 and Developer 2000(forms6)
I'm trying to learn Visual C++ 6 at the moment...

Beginnning Visual C++ 6.0 / Ivor Horton / 1-861000-88-X

Good book. Good detail of the C++ language before introducing you to windows
programming and the MFC. Good explanations of classes & objects etc. The MFC
bit get's a bit boring, basically because it sticks with a project
developing an MS Paint style app for most of it's examples - I would've
prefered some variety. When the boredom sets in you can find yourself just
copying outta the book & typing rather than inwardly digesting. Overall
though, it's a very good book. You'll want summat else afterwards for more
info on MFC though. There is a section about databases, but I havn't looked
at that as that's not my immediate area of coding.

Programming Windows with MFC 2nd Ed / Jeff Prosise / 1-57231-695-0

Probably a good book, but tough going for the beginner, which to be fair
isn't it's target audience. There's quite a lot of examples and stuff, but I
find some of it hard to follow, probably because a) I'm a beginner and b)
and trying to jump to the stuff I wanna do all the time, rather than build
the basics as it were. A few more comments within the code would be nice
tho. It's probably more of a reference tome than a tutorial.

I'm still searching for the book that's gonna really click the MFC with me.
I really want summat with quite short examples with good explanation just
showing how to get specific details going. I can then join them together
into an app myself. I've just ordered a couple of other books...

"Mfc Programming from the Ground Up"
 Herbert Schildt;
"Mfc Programming (Addison-Wesley Advanced Windows Series)"
 Alan R. Feuer;

...they're supposed to target the beginner to MFC a little more directly. If
you drop me an email I'll let you know what they're like when I've had a
look/they arrive if you're interested.

Tim.

Quote:
> Could anyone recommend  Good Books (that's good for learning/
understanding/
> referencing/ practicing with lots of examples/ samples) on C++ ,  Visual
C++
> , Oracle 8 and Developer 2000(forms6)

> Thanks

> Ed

Sat, 28 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Good Books on C++ , Visual C++ , Oracle 8 and Developer 2000(forms6)
You can read some good book reviews here.

http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/0sb/index.htm

My own advice:  Don't *ever* depend on a single text on
any technically complicated subject.  If it is in your
budget, buy at least three, more is better.  If not in
the budget, get a membership at the library, or go to
your school library and see what they have.

--
Dan Evens
Standard disclaimers etc. No spam please.

Quote:
> Could anyone recommend  Good Books (that's good for learning/
understanding/
> referencing/ practicing with lots of examples/ samples) on C++ ,  Visual
C++
> , Oracle 8 and Developer 2000(forms6)

Sat, 28 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Good Books on C++ , Visual C++ , Oracle 8 and Developer 2000(forms6)

Quote:
> http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/0sb/index.htm

Read through this and it didn't help much.  I am also looking for a good
book for an absolute beginner.  I bought Sam's "Teach Yourself Visual C++ 6
in 24 hours" and it was a mistake.  I read pieces of it at the bookstore and
it said it was good for the biginner.  It is a good book for someone who is
already a master programmer, and is just starting to use Visual C++.  It
doesn't explain any of the concepts, it just gives examples, and that's it.
Doesn't give any definitions, nothing.  The first chapter was ok for a
beginner, then it jumped into something way over my head.  I have been
shopping and searching for several days with no luck.  I have had one class
on program design (flowcharts), and have toyed with basic, but I am not a
programmer.  I want to learn and can't find a decent text that doesn't jump
in (quantum) leaps and bounds.  Can anyone suggest a decent book??  Or two??

I already have Beginning vc++ by Horton on my shopping list.

The reviews at the site above never mention anything about something for the
beginner.  Just which are good and which aren't.
jh

Quote:

> My own advice:  Don't *ever* depend on a single text on
> any technically complicated subject.  If it is in your
> budget, buy at least three, more is better.  If not in
> the budget, get a membership at the library, or go to
> your school library and see what they have.

> --
> Dan Evens
> Standard disclaimers etc. No spam please.
> Just because nobody complains does not
> mean that all parachutes are perfect.

> > Could anyone recommend  Good Books (that's good for learning/
> understanding/
> > referencing/ practicing with lots of examples/ samples) on C++ ,  Visual
> C++
> > , Oracle 8 and Developer 2000(forms6)

Sun, 29 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Good Books on C++ , Visual C++ , Oracle 8 and Developer 2000(forms6)
IMHO, the best way to start with all of this is find a C++ course at the
local college or university. The one I did recently used Visual C++ 6 as
the development environment, so it helped me learn some of that as well.

Book reviews depend entirely on where you're starting from. What's just
right for one guy is too basic or too advanced for another.

drc
-------------

Quote:

> > http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/0sb/index.htm

> Read through this and it didn't help much.  I am also looking for a good
> book for an absolute beginner.  I bought Sam's "Teach Yourself Visual C++ 6
> in 24 hours" and it was a mistake.  I read pieces of it at the bookstore and
> it said it was good for the biginner.  It is a good book for someone who is
> already a master programmer, and is just starting to use Visual C++.  It
> doesn't explain any of the concepts, it just gives examples, and that's it.
> Doesn't give any definitions, nothing.  The first chapter was ok for a
> beginner, then it jumped into something way over my head.  I have been
> shopping and searching for several days with no luck.  I have had one class
> on program design (flowcharts), and have toyed with basic, but I am not a
> programmer.  I want to learn and can't find a decent text that doesn't jump
> in (quantum) leaps and bounds.  Can anyone suggest a decent book??  Or two??

> I already have Beginning vc++ by Horton on my shopping list.

> The reviews at the site above never mention anything about something for the
> beginner.  Just which are good and which aren't.
> jh

> > My own advice:  Don't *ever* depend on a single text on
> > any technically complicated subject.  If it is in your
> > budget, buy at least three, more is better.  If not in
> > the budget, get a membership at the library, or go to
> > your school library and see what they have.

> > --
> > Dan Evens
> > Standard disclaimers etc. No spam please.
> > Just because nobody complains does not
> > mean that all parachutes are perfect.

> > > Could anyone recommend  Good Books (that's good for learning/
> > understanding/
> > > referencing/ practicing with lots of examples/ samples) on C++ ,  Visual
> > C++
> > > , Oracle 8 and Developer 2000(forms6)

Sun, 29 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Using Oracle Programmer 2000 with Microsoft Visual C++ 4.2 or 5.0

2. Good Book on C++/Visual C++

3. Visual C++/Oracle Developer

4. Oracle Developer vs Visual C++: Suggest ? (Experts Only)

5. Good book on Microsoft Visual Studio Visual C++, C#, VB

6. US-TX-DFW C / C++ / MFC DEVELOPERS - Visual C++ / MFC - learn VxD's

7. Good MS Visual C++ book?

8. suggest a good starter book for VISUAL C++?

9. which book is best for visual c++?

10. Newbie! good books for visual c++ 5

11. _HELP, Looking for good visual c++ 5.0 book

12. Best (Non-MFC) Visual C++ 5 Book?