What do I need to distribute (95/98/NT)
Author Message
 What do I need to distribute (95/98/NT)

Hi
I created a Setup for my application with InstallShield.
I included a couple DLLs like MFC42 and Ole32...

Works fine on 98 but I tried on NT and the system won't even boot anymore.
What could cause NT to crash like this ?
And what do I need to distribute on each system (is there a list somewhere
in MSDN - I can't find any) ?

Thanks

Fri, 12 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 What do I need to distribute (95/98/NT)
Short answer (if you don't want to read on) is that
you've probably replaced an NT-specific DLL with
a 95-only variant. Not all DLL's are the same between
different Win32 platforms (even if they *do* have the
same name....)

(The long answer)

There is probably someone who knows a "better"
or simpler solution than this, but I *can* tell you that
MS have a damn good reason for their insistence
on people using the MS-supplied redistribution
wrappers for such things as the MFC library and
OLE automation....  It's too {*filter*}y easy to stuff up..
(been there, blown the setup away....*boom*)...

MS provide mini-installers for deploying many of
their components including the MFC and OLE32
stuff. I *know* the "Redist.txt" file lists what you
can redistribute and with what limitations, but unless
you know a hell of a lot about the various versions
of the Win32 system,

Windows95        4 major versions (original, A,B & C)
Windows98        2 major versions (original, SE)
WindowsNT4     1 major version (zillions of patches)
Windows2k        1 ? version

In the face of the mixes and variations you can be
sure to find a problem when IE enters the mix with it's
60MB+ of extras. So do yourself a *huge* favor and
only redeploy using the official MS tools. If you must
"roll your own" then you will need to test vigorously
on about 20 to 30 different combinations of system
builds incorporating different patches.... or insist on
something like IE5 to be pre-installed to force the
issue of patches and other support stuff into the system.

Just to work out what you need to distribute will take
some time using tools like VC's "Dependency Walker"
and remember that  it won't necessarily show you all
dependencies if some are runtime linked.....

Why do you think 3rd party uninstall and repair tools
are so prevalent.... :-)

"If you think you know the answer,
then you don't understand the question !"

> Hi
> I created a Setup for my application with InstallShield.
> I included a couple DLLs like MFC42 and Ole32...

> Works fine on 98 but I tried on NT and the system won't even boot anymore.
> What could cause NT to crash like this ?
> And what do I need to distribute on each system (is there a list somewhere
> in MSDN - I can't find any) ?

> Thanks

Sat, 13 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. What do I need to distribute (95/98/NT)

2. DBWin32 V2.2 Captures OutputDebugString on '95/'98/NT

3. DCOM with windows NT/ 95-98

4. Develope DB for clients computers running microsoft 95/98/NT

5. DBWin32 V2.0 Captures OutputDebugString on '95/'98/NT

6. strcpy(x, x) works in NT/2000 but not 95/98

7. DBWin32 V2.0 Captures OutputDebugString on '95/'98/NT

8. Reading registry values in 95/98 compared to NT/2000

9. Single-binary MFC Unicode app for 95,98,NT

10. Q: E-mail address from 95/98/NT

11. DrawState ok with 95/98, fails with NT?

12. NT binary and 95, 98 binary