beinner's (hopefully) easy question
Author Message
 beinner's (hopefully) easy question

*Posted here after being informed to do so at comp.lang.c++*

I have absolutely no experience with c in any shape or form, but I have
a little question.

BladeEnc (the freeware Mpeg-Layer 3 encoder) has recently become
source-code only for legal reasons - now I've been sitting here with MS
Visual C++ Version 6 and I have absolutely no idea how to compile it -
I've tried loading the main.c file and choosing build but I get "Link"
errors - I think I'm doing this very wrong. I know it can be compiled in
MS Visual C++ as it's mentioned on the home page, but I'm stuck

Any help would so very much appreciated

Tom

Wed, 04 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 beinner's (hopefully) easy question

Quote:

> *Posted here after being informed to do so at comp.lang.c++*

> I have absolutely no experience with c in any shape or form, but I have
> a little question.

> BladeEnc (the freeware Mpeg-Layer 3 encoder) has recently become
> source-code only for legal reasons - now I've been sitting here with MS
> Visual C++ Version 6 and I have absolutely no idea how to compile it -
> I've tried loading the main.c file and choosing build but I get "Link"
> errors - I think I'm doing this very wrong. I know it can be compiled in
> MS Visual C++ as it's mentioned on the home page, but I'm stuck

> Any help would so very much appreciated

> Tom

Yeah, they're pretty picky about topics over there at comp.lang.c++

If you got link errors it means you are over 90% done -- it compiled! You
probably have to add some library names (winmm.lib?) to the
Project/Settings/Link page.  Nobody can tell how to fix it if you don't show a
few of the error messages.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Wed, 04 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 beinner's (hopefully) easy question
Sorry - my first post was a little devoid of detail. Write, I've
realised I'm doing this very wrong. My method was as follows:

1. Drag all the .c files into the blank visual c++ windows
2. Click Build -> Build

It would then compile whatever .c file was currently the active window,
and give me a host of errors, but this isn't right - I only want to
produce one exe at the end, not one for each .c file. Now I've had a
look, and on the BladeEnc homepage at http://bladeenc.mp3.no/ he says I
have to tinker with the system.h file. It looks like i'm in way over my
head, as looking at the system.h file I have no idea what it means

So, if anyone has comipled BladeEnc using MS VC++ 6 and is feeling kind,
then drop me a e-mail or reply here and tell me the key steps in idiot
langauge you need to do to get a wokring exe

Thanks for your time

Tom

Quote:
> If you got link errors it means you are over 90% done -- it compiled!
You
> probably have to add some library names (winmm.lib?) to the
> Project/Settings/Link page.  Nobody can tell how to fix it if you
don't show a
> few of the error messages.

Wed, 04 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 beinner's (hopefully) easy question

Quote:
>Sorry - my first post was a little devoid of detail. Write, I've
>realised I'm doing this very wrong. My method was as follows:

>1. Drag all the .c files into the blank visual c++ windows
>2. Click Build -> Build

>It would then compile whatever .c file was currently the active window,
>and give me a host of errors, but this isn't right - I only want to
>produce one exe at the end, not one for each .c file. Now I've had a
>look, and on the BladeEnc homepage at http://bladeenc.mp3.no/ he says I
>have to tinker with the system.h file. It looks like i'm in way over my
>head, as looking at the system.h file I have no idea what it means

>So, if anyone has comipled BladeEnc using MS VC++ 6 and is feeling kind,
>then drop me a e-mail or reply here and tell me the key steps in idiot
>langauge you need to do to get a wokring exe

OK, here's what you need to do:

1- Choose New->Projects->Win32 Application, give it a name and click
OK.

2- Choose Project->Add To Project->Files then add all the .c files to
the project.

3- Choose Project->Settings->Link and add the necessary library files
in the Object/library modules box. You need to figure out which
libraries ou need to add. Check the web page you got it from. You'll
probably need to add winmm.lib for example.

4- Click on Build.

If you still get errors PLEASE copy and paste some of the error
messages and post them here.

Note: I *strongly* recommend learning C before attempting to use MP3
libraries. Programming this kind of stuff is not for beginners.

Bart.

Thu, 05 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 beinner's (hopefully) easy question
Ok - I did this, and still got errors, so I tried adding all the .h
files as well, but still got errors - I'll post what errors I've got:

Compiling...
bladesys.c
C:\bladec\bladeenc-0.93.4\bladeenc\bladesys.c(52) : fatal error C1083:
Cannot open include file: 'pwd.h': No such file or directory
loop.c
c:\bladec\bladeenc-0.93.4\bladeenc\loop-pvt.h(81) : error C2061: syntax
error : identifier 'walking_on_clouds'
c:\bladec\bladeenc-0.93.4\bladeenc\loop-pvt.h(81) : error C2059: syntax
error : ';'
c:\bladec\bladeenc-0.93.4\bladeenc\loop-pvt.h(83) : error C2059: syntax
error : 'type'
C:\bladec\bladeenc-0.93.4\bladeenc\loop.c(899) : warning C4244: '=' :
conversion from 'double ' to 'int ', possible loss of data
C:\bladec\bladeenc-0.93.4\bladeenc\loop.c(1578) : warning C4018: '<' :
signed/unsigned mismatch
C:\bladec\bladeenc-0.93.4\bladeenc\loop.c(1604) : warning C4018: '>' :
signed/unsigned mismatch
C:\bladec\bladeenc-0.93.4\bladeenc\loop.c(1746) : error C2061: syntax
error : identifier 'cutting_crew'
C:\bladec\bladeenc-0.93.4\bladeenc\loop.c(1768) : warning C4013:
'cutting_crew' undefined; assuming extern returning int
C:\bladec\bladeenc-0.93.4\bladeenc\loop.c(1768) : warning C4013:
'walking_on_clouds' undefined; assuming extern returning int
C:\bladec\bladeenc-0.93.4\bladeenc\loop.c(2212) : warning C4018: '>' :
signed/unsigned mismatch
samplein.c
C:\bladec\bladeenc-0.93.4\bladeenc\samplein.c(63) : error C2061: syntax
error : identifier 'mcLong'
C:\bladec\bladeenc-0.93.4\bladeenc\samplein.c(63) : error C2059: syntax
error : ';'
C:\bladec\bladeenc-0.93.4\bladeenc\samplein.c(63) : error C2059: syntax
error : 'type'

C:\bladec\bladeenc-0.93.4\bladeenc\samplein.c(100) : warning C4013:
'intlLong' undefined; assuming extern returning int
C:\bladec\bladeenc-0.93.4\bladeenc\samplein.c(306) : warning C4013:
'intlShort' undefined; assuming extern returning int
C:\bladec\bladeenc-0.93.4\bladeenc\samplein.c(567) : error C2061: syntax
error : identifier 'intlLong'
C:\bladec\bladeenc-0.93.4\bladeenc\samplein.c(586) : error C2059: syntax
error : ';'
C:\bladec\bladeenc-0.93.4\bladeenc\samplein.c(586) : error C2059: syntax
error : 'type'

Error executing cl.exe.

baldeenc.exe - 34 error(s), 14 warning(s)
________________________________

By the way I cut down the numbe of errors to just show a broad
selection.

Quote:
> OK, here's what you need to do:

> 1- Choose New->Projects->Win32 Application, give it a name and click
> OK.

> 2- Choose Project->Add To Project->Files then add all the .c files to
> the project.

> 3- Choose Project->Settings->Link and add the necessary library files
> in the Object/library modules box. You need to figure out which
> libraries ou need to add. Check the web page you got it from. You'll
> probably need to add winmm.lib for example.

> 4- Click on Build.

> If you still get errors PLEASE copy and paste some of the error
> messages and post them here.

Thu, 05 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 beinner's (hopefully) easy question
Ignore my 4Kb post - I realised that I had to change a setting in the
program, and now the only error I get is:

--------------------Configuration: baldeenc - Win32
Debug--------------------
Linking...
libcd.lib(wincrt0.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol

Debug/baldeenc.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

baldeenc.exe - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Quote:
> 4- Click on Build.

> If you still get errors PLEASE copy and paste some of the error
> messages and post them here.

Thu, 05 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 beinner's (hopefully) easy question

Quote:
>Ignore my 4Kb post - I realised that I had to change a setting in the
>program, and now the only error I get is:

>--------------------Configuration: baldeenc - Win32
>Debug--------------------
>Linking...
>libcd.lib(wincrt0.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol

>Debug/baldeenc.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
>Error executing link.exe.

>baldeenc.exe - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

This means that there's no WinMain() function defined in the program.
Did you include *all* the .c files in your program? If you get this
error it means that there's no main function from which the program
should start.

Do a search in all the files to see if there's a WinMain somewhere. If
there isn't then try searching for main. If there's a main somewhere
do the following:

Choose Project->Settings->Link. At the bottom of the dialog in the
Project Options box change "/subsystem:windows" to
"/subsystem:console". Try building again.

If that doesn't work then I can't help you. You need to get more info
from the web site you got this from (and learn programming).

Bart.

Thu, 05 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 beinner's (hopefully) easy question
Bart was close with his description, but he didn't realize that while it's a
Win32 application, it's not a GUI app.  Try this:

1 - Choose New->Projects->Win32 CONSOLE Application, give it a name and
click OK.  This will tell the linker to look for a main() instead of a
WinMain().

2- Choose Project->Add To Project->Files then add all the .c files to the
project.

3- Click on Build.  As it appears to be a cross-platform program, I suspect
it doesn't use any non-standard libraries.

--
Truth,
James Curran

Quote:
> *Posted here after being informed to do so at comp.lang.c++*

> I have absolutely no experience with c in any shape or form, but I have
> a little question.

> BladeEnc (the freeware Mpeg-Layer 3 encoder) has recently become
> source-code only for legal reasons - now I've been sitting here with MS
> Visual C++ Version 6 and I have absolutely no idea how to compile it -
> I've tried loading the main.c file and choosing build but I get "Link"
> errors - I think I'm doing this very wrong. I know it can be compiled in
> MS Visual C++ as it's mentioned on the home page, but I'm stuck

> Any help would so very much appreciated

> Tom

Fri, 06 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Hopefully an easy question

2. Easy Question (Hopefully) - Manually updating window

3. An Easy One (hopefully)

4. This is a biztalk question but probably an easy question for you C# guru's

5. Real Fast 'n' Easy Question --

6. I'm a newbie but easy question

7. Here's an easy question, having to do with the CRecordSet Class

8. Beginner's COM question (easy)

9. a couple o' easy questions

10. Beginner's COM question (easy)

11. Easy Question I'm sure...I need help

12. conio.h question (hopefully a simple one)