Urgent! Please help this VB/Java/C programmer into the VC++ world.
Author Message
 Urgent! Please help this VB/Java/C programmer into the VC++ world.

Urgent! Please help this VB/Java/C programmer into the VC++ world.

Hello All:

Please help. I was quite comfortable in the VB world and became proficient
at writing VB ActiveX DLLs that work just great in MTS. There, I can do
anything I want with a SQL Server backend, using ADO and stored procedures.
We use these to power our ASP-based web sites and everything works great.

However...

Now, our director wants all of our internal, component library to be written
in VC++. Great, I say. To get started, I really need to build a simple DLL
that I can put into MTS and Create, Retrieve, Update, and Delete data by
calling a stored procedure using ADO.

What books and/or sites could you recommend for tutorials on how to do this
in VC++?

(Note 1: I have "Teach Yourself VC++ 6 In 21 Days", but this book covers
only "MFC extension DLLs" and "regular DLLs". However, it seems that I need
to find out about ATL-based DLLs-- that is, ActiveX in-process DLLs.)

(Note 2: I already have many great learning materials on straight C++. What
I really need is material that is VC++- and Microsoft- world specific.

(Note 3: I am sorry, in advance, if this cross-posting-- but I really need
to get up and running fast.)

Thank you, very much.

--

"I have made this letter longer than usual, because I lack the time to make
it short." -- Blaise Pascal.

Tue, 04 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
[...]

Good luck Mark,

Getting into ADO in VC++ from VB is a bit of a pain.  One of the first
things that you will notice is that a large majority of the things written
about ADO come at it from the VB angle.  Particularly on MS Technet!

There are several ways to skin the ADO "cat" in VB.  You can use #import
,the ActiveX SDK, or MFC OLE.

I was a VC++ programmer who left the fold for VB and have just recently come
back to a very different compiler and language!  I have just recently gone
through learning ADO in VC++.  It was definitely fun, at times very
frustrating too.  There are some articles on MS technet that can help.
Q262450, Q176342, Q169496, Q186387, & Q200122 helped me out quite a bit.

The people in this newsgroup have been great in helping me get back in the
saddle.  Keep coming back and asking questions.

Hope this helps,
Brian Griffin

Quote:
> Urgent! Please help this VB/Java/C programmer into the VC++ world.

> Hello All:

> Please help. I was quite comfortable in the VB world and became proficient
> at writing VB ActiveX DLLs that work just great in MTS. There, I can do
> anything I want with a SQL Server backend, using ADO and stored
procedures.
> We use these to power our ASP-based web sites and everything works great.

> However...

> Now, our director wants all of our internal, component library to be
written
> in VC++. Great, I say. To get started, I really need to build a simple DLL
> that I can put into MTS and Create, Retrieve, Update, and Delete data by
> calling a stored procedure using ADO.

> What books and/or sites could you recommend for tutorials on how to do
this
> in VC++?

> (Note 1: I have "Teach Yourself VC++ 6 In 21 Days", but this book covers
> only "MFC extension DLLs" and "regular DLLs". However, it seems that I
need
> to find out about ATL-based DLLs-- that is, ActiveX in-process DLLs.)

> (Note 2: I already have many great learning materials on straight C++.
What
> I really need is material that is VC++- and Microsoft- world specific.

> (Note 3: I am sorry, in advance, if this cross-posting-- but I really need
> to get up and running fast.)

> Thank you, very much.

> --

> "I have made this letter longer than usual, because I lack the time to
make
> it short." -- Blaise Pascal.

Tue, 04 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Urgent! Please help this VB/Java/C programmer into the VC++ world.

2. Urgent! Please help this VB/Java/C programmer into the VC++ world.

3. Urgent! Please help this VB/Java/C programmer into the VC++ world.

4. Urgent! Please help this VB/Java/C programmer into the VC++ world.

5. Urgent! Please help this VB/Java/C programmer into the VC++ world.

6. Experienced VC++ programmers, please assist VB guy lookin to learn C++

7. Experienced VC++ programmers, please assist VB guy lookin to learn C++

8. Java Programmers Will Outnumber C++/VB/C#

9. PROBLEM WITH VC++ AND ACCESS -- URGENT, PLEASE HELP

10. URGENT - PLEASE HELP - Accessing Internet with VC++

11. SOS...SOS...SOS...URGENT HELP about VC++ build ASP componts,Please

12. Urgent help please - Cannot register VC++ Dll