wild pointer
Author Message
 wild pointer

I recently came across a term "wild pointer". Is there any such thing in vc.
Thanks
Gary Haqmann

Tue, 25 Feb 2003 20:47:24 GMT
 wild pointer

Quote:
> I recently came across a term "wild pointer". Is there any such thing in

vc.

    A "wild" pointer is one which is not pointing to an actual object.  It
could have been never initialized, or the object it once pointed to may have
been deleted.   Bad things happen if you try dereferencing it.

--
Truth,
James Curran

Wed, 26 Feb 2003 01:30:40 GMT
 wild pointer
Stalking the wild pointer, deep in the heart of darkest OS code.
You've got to keep your wits about you at all times or it will
creep up on you unawares and *BLIP*, you are dog meat.

Indeed.  A wild pointer is a potential problem in any C/C++ code.

It usually means a pointer that has some garbage value in it,
or some incorrect value that has been obtained in some
erroneous fashion.  When you use this to access what you think
is on the other end, you get some (hard to predict, nearly
always wrong) thing.

You can wind up corrupting data, and in some systems, you can
stomp on your code part of your program as well.  In more secure
systems, you will get an access violation if you step outside
your program. In less secure systems you can trash your OS.
The best result this can have is a crashed program. The worst
is an extremely hard to diagnose bug that lurks and lurks and
lurks till your most important client is looking at a demo.
--
Dan Evens
Standard disclaimers etc. No spam please.

Quote:
> I recently came across a term "wild pointer". Is there any such thing in

vc.

Wed, 26 Feb 2003 01:33:02 GMT
 wild pointer
AKA dangling pointer
Quote:

> > I recently came across a term "wild pointer". Is there any such thing in
> vc.

>     A "wild" pointer is one which is not pointing to an actual object.  It
> could have been never initialized, or the object it once pointed to may have
> been deleted.   Bad things happen if you try dereferencing it.

> --
> Truth,
> James Curran
> http://www.NJTheater.com          (Professional)
> http://www.NovelTheory.com      (Personal)
> http://www.BrandsForLess.com   (Day Job)

Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:52:06 GMT
 wild pointer
Strange beast!

Ed

Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:24:27 GMT
 wild pointer

Quote:
> AKA dangling pointer

    Well...not exactly... technically a "dangling pointer" is a pointer for
which the address it contains once pointed to a good object,  but isn't any
longer.  It would be a subset of a "wild pointer" which may never have
pointed to a good object.

--
Truth,
James Curran
http://www.NJTheater.com          (Professional)
http://www.NovelTheory.com      (Personal)
http://www.BrandsForLess.com   (Day Job)

Sat, 01 Mar 2003 00:00:47 GMT

1. Dereferencing a wild pointer

2. Boy how the egos run wild!

3. wild card file remove

4. Wild card character support in C.

5. Want function of strmp with wild characters

6. wild carding

7. pattern/wild card matching

8. fopen - Can a wild card be used?

9. WTB: WILD ARMS

10. Wild arms

11. Wild card expansion under VAX11-C: Code Wanted

12. Reading in file wild cards