Debugging Console App?
Author Message
 Debugging Console App?

Hello:

I'm still in the process of learning VC++5. I've completed a dialog
based application complete w/ buttons, edit boxes, menus, and etc. so I
think I understand most of the rudiments of manipulating the GUI and how
it works.

Now I want to build a console base application that accepts command line
parameters (argv/argc) except I can't get the de{*filter*} to run a very
simple console program (it still works OK on my other application). The
program is listed below:

  void main ()
  {
    int i;
    i=1;
  }

I can build/execute the program w/o error. It opens a dos box under
Win95 (ie apparently executes command.com), prompts "... hit any key to
continue", then exits cleanly. However, if I attempt to put a breakpoint
at i=1, and start the de{*filter*}, the dos box comes up and then I
immediately get the "black screen of death". The computer locks up and
it takes a hard reboot to get back.

Any hints on how to get the de{*filter*} to work properly? I've perused all
the online help, but can find no mention of anything specific to this
operation. I've also reviewed all the project settings and made sure the
active configuration is "debug". I've completely deleted the workspace
and project subdirectories and rebuilt them without success. And, I've
tried including several libraries w/o success.

Live long, and prosper
Jerry L. Gubka

Sat, 04 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Debugging Console App?

Jerry,
There should be some problem somewhere in your environment. It always runs
ok in de{*filter*}.

Arnab

Sat, 04 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Debugging Console App?

Quote:

> Hello:

> I'm still in the process of learning VC++5. I've completed a dialog
> based application complete w/ buttons, edit boxes, menus, and etc. so I
> think I understand most of the rudiments of manipulating the GUI and how
> it works.

> Now I want to build a console base application that accepts command line
> parameters (argv/argc) except I can't get the de{*filter*} to run a very
> simple console program (it still works OK on my other application). The
> program is listed below:

>   void main ()
>   {
>     int i;
>     i=1;
>   }

> I can build/execute the program w/o error. It opens a dos box under
> Win95 (ie apparently executes command.com), prompts "... hit any key to
> continue", then exits cleanly. However, if I attempt to put a breakpoint
> at i=1, and start the de{*filter*}, the dos box comes up and then I
> immediately get the "black screen of death". The computer locks up and
> it takes a hard reboot to get back.

> Any hints on how to get the de{*filter*} to work properly? I've perused all
> the online help, but can find no mention of anything specific to this
> operation. I've also reviewed all the project settings and made sure the
> active configuration is "debug". I've completely deleted the workspace
> and project subdirectories and rebuilt them without success. And, I've
> tried including several libraries w/o success.

> Live long, and prosper
> Jerry L. Gubka

Arnab Mukherjee suggested a possible problem with the environment ...
I'm using QEMM as memory manager and JPSoft/4Dos as the primary command
shell (set in config.sys). Could this be an issue?

Live long, and prosper
Jerry L. Gubka

Sun, 05 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Debugging Console Apps

2. Debug console app in VisStudio

3. Debugging console app...

4. debugging console app

5. Debug Win32 Console app

6. VC++ 4.0 Standard and console apps debugging

7. Debugging Win32 console apps

8. Invoking a console app and hiding the console.

9. Connecting a console app and a WIN32 app using pipes

10. porting from win32 app to win32 console app

11. porting from win32 app to win32 console app

12. dif between console app and normal win app