dif between console app and normal win app
Author Message
 dif between console app and normal win app

What exactly is the difrence between a console application and a regular
windows application?
Does the console app compile to run as a 16 realmode program or is it simply
a window program set to have stdin and stdout?

Allso.. what are the restrictions on a console application? Can it in any
way create a window? It seems its in need of the hInstance variable.

Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:07:14 GMT
 dif between console app and normal win app

DeSilva,

Quote:
> What exactly is the difrence between a console application and a regular
> windows application?

Esencially, the only differences are a flag in the PE headers and different
entry points.

Quote:
> Does the console app compile to run as a 16 realmode program or is it
simply
> a window program set to have stdin and stdout?

The latter.

Quote:

> Allso.. what are the restrictions on a console application? Can it in any
> way create a window? It seems its in need of the hInstance variable.

Yes, it can create a window, but it's not the most common scenario. You can
get the HINSTANCE by using GetModuleHandle(NULL);

BTW, a somewhat more common scenario is a windows application that creates
it's own console window using AllocConsole()...

--
Tomas Restrepo [VC++ MVP]
http://www.mvps.org/windev

Fri, 21 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. scrollable console app in win 98?

2. Connecting a console app and a WIN32 app using pipes

3. porting from win32 app to win32 console app

4. porting from win32 app to win32 console app

5. win32 app vs win32 console app?

6. Console apps vs Windows Apps

7. Run console app from within my gui app

8. MFC and DOS apps - Redirecting console output to an MFC app (Newbie)

9. Running a console app from a windows app

10. Need help converting a console app to windows app with a DLL

11. running other dos apps from a console app

12. Running console app from within a win32 app