How to access disk boot record info?
Author Message
 How to access disk boot record info?

I would like to obtain boot sector information from harddisks (e.g.,
random-ish serial number, volume name, etc.) using MSVC/C++.  I believe this
will require some inline ASM ( I have no experience with ASM but am
comfortable with inline ASM provided someone who knows what they are doing
has written the ASM).  I have seen an example of this from the MSDN website
knowledge base, an example named "BOOTSEC" for which the source is
available, but it appears to be out of date as it will not compile in
MSVC/C++ 6.0 (or at least I am unable to get it to compile).

Anyone have open-source examples of how to obtain boot sector info using
recent versions of MSVC/C++ that they would be willing to share/post, or
hints on how to do this?  Perhaps it is on a FAQ somewhere?  Any help is
greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil Colla

Wed, 03 Dec 2003 07:38:05 GMT
 How to access disk boot record info?
Read responses for you prior questions (15.06.2001/06:50)

GetVolumeInformation() is that what you need.
In this case forget about ASM (int 13h) if you don't use DDK and kernel
programming.

Radek

Quote:
> I would like to obtain boot sector information from harddisks (e.g.,
> random-ish serial number, volume name, etc.) using MSVC/C++.  I believe
this
> will require some inline ASM ( I have no experience with ASM but am
> comfortable with inline ASM provided someone who knows what they are doing
> has written the ASM).  I have seen an example of this from the MSDN
website
> knowledge base, an example named "BOOTSEC" for which the source is
> available, but it appears to be out of date as it will not compile in
> MSVC/C++ 6.0 (or at least I am unable to get it to compile).

> Anyone have open-source examples of how to obtain boot sector info using
> recent versions of MSVC/C++ that they would be willing to share/post, or
> hints on how to do this?  Perhaps it is on a FAQ somewhere?  Any help is
> greatly appreciated.

> Cheers,

> Phil Colla

Thu, 04 Dec 2003 01:43:26 GMT

1. PROBLEM ON THE BOOT SECTOR OF A 1Go PC Hard Disk - HELP NEEDED

2. Boot Disk!

3. Boot disk

4. NEED: Get boot disk name!

5. Disk boot problem

6. MS-DOS Boot Sector & Boot Programs

7. Ann: Live Chat on VenturCom Boot-NIC - Windows 2000/XP/XP Embedded Diskless Network Boot

8. Updating records on disk file

9. looking up variable string records on disk

10. Indexes to Records on Disk

11. homework help scanning info from disk?

12. Help on disk info