Program's flow depends on optimization
Author Message
 Program's flow depends on optimization

I got the the GPE in application. The problem shows up only in release
version and not debug version. The worst - program changed the flow of
execution depends on optimization settings and because of changing the flow
GPE arises.

I will very appreciate any suggestions how to handle such problem.

Igor.

Sun, 27 Mar 2005 02:33:02 GMT
 Program's flow depends on optimization

Quote:
> I got the the GPE in application. The problem shows up only in release
> version and not debug version. The worst - program changed the flow of
> execution depends on optimization settings and because of changing the flow
> GPE arises.

> I will very appreciate any suggestions how to handle such problem.

First, determine whether the change in program
flow, at the point it occurs, correctly reflects
the source code and actual data values used at
that point.  (This does not mean the data values
you believe should exist at that point!)

The most likely cause of your problem is a bug
in your code or a misunderstanding of what data
values can be reliably calculated in the face of
optimization.  This is common with floating point
arithmetic, where minute effects of roundoff error
can depend upon operand movement between registers
and memory.  You might want to investigate use of
the /Op option to "improve floating-pt consistency".

Before anybody can give more specific help, you
will need to determine specifically what has
happened in your program that differs from what
you want and can be reduced to a simple example.
This might be a single expression that evaluates
to a different result than you think it should.

--
-Larry Brasfield
(address munged, s/sn/h/ to reply)

Sun, 27 Mar 2005 03:29:54 GMT

1. Compiler gen'd depends (was: nested includes)

2. Turbo C 'optimization'

3. recompiled program now DEPENDS on OLEACC.DLL

4. depends on C programs

5. Looking for a program to produce flow charts of C source

6. program flow problem

7. -KWII- Programming Logic and Flow - Web Sites, Books???

8. Flow Chart Programs and Source Code scanners.

9. Need flow charting software for C programs

10. Just Pause program flow for sometime.

11. Just Pause program flow for sometime.

12. help understanding program flow