Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 122675 Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 122675
Author Message
 Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 122675 Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 122675

http://www.*-*-*.com/ %3ben-us%3b122675

Strange question but it says in the article:

Microsoft Visual C++ for Windows, 16-bit edition 1.0
Microsoft Visual C++, 32-bit Enterprise Edition 4.2
Microsoft Visual C++, 32-bit Enterprise Edition 5.0
Microsoft Visual C++, 32-bit Professional Edition 4.2
Microsoft Visual C++, 32-bit Professional Edition 5.0
STATUS
Microsoft is researching this problem and will post new information here in
the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.

Now if you use MSVC 6.0 do you have this bug or not? It does not apply but
it is not fixed, in the latest version hence 6 I presume either?

Marc

Fri, 04 Nov 2005 23:16:26 GMT
 Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 122675 Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 122675

Quote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b122675

> Strange question but it says in the article:

> The information in this article applies to:
> Microsoft Visual C++ for Windows, 16-bit edition 1.0
> Microsoft Visual C++, 32-bit Enterprise Edition 4.2
> Microsoft Visual C++, 32-bit Enterprise Edition 5.0
> Microsoft Visual C++, 32-bit Professional Edition 4.2
> Microsoft Visual C++, 32-bit Professional Edition 5.0
> STATUS
> Microsoft is researching this problem and will post new information
> here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.

> Now if you use MSVC 6.0 do you have this bug or not? It does not
> apply but it is not fixed, in the latest version hence 6 I presume
> either?

IIRC, with VC6 a change was made to how operator delete is implemented that
resolved this kind of problem in certain circumstances.  Whether it fixed
the precise issue described by this KB, I can't say without trying it.

-cd

Fri, 04 Nov 2005 23:41:54 GMT
 Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 122675 Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 122675
If 6.0 is not listed,  you have to assumed the bug should NOT part of 6.0.
My guess, someone must of reported the bug for v5.0 and Microsoft back
tracked to all previous versions as well.

---

Quote:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b122675

> Strange question but it says in the article:

> The information in this article applies to:
> Microsoft Visual C++ for Windows, 16-bit edition 1.0
> Microsoft Visual C++, 32-bit Enterprise Edition 4.2
> Microsoft Visual C++, 32-bit Enterprise Edition 5.0
> Microsoft Visual C++, 32-bit Professional Edition 4.2
> Microsoft Visual C++, 32-bit Professional Edition 5.0
> STATUS
> Microsoft is researching this problem and will post new information here
in
> the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it becomes available.

> Now if you use MSVC 6.0 do you have this bug or not? It does not apply but
> it is not fixed, in the latest version hence 6 I presume either?

> Marc

Sat, 05 Nov 2005 04:45:21 GMT
 Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 122675 Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 122675

Quote:

> If 6.0 is not listed,  you have to assumed the bug should NOT part of
> 6.0. My guess, someone must of reported the bug for v5.0 and
> Microsoft back tracked to all previous versions as well.

FWIW, I know this bug was known in VC 4.2 - I remember running into it.  I'm
pretty sure at the time that it was reported through PSS, perhaps too late
to get a fix into VC5 though.

-cd

Sat, 05 Nov 2005 07:22:25 GMT
 Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 122675 Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 122675
I have run into this bug a couple of times with VC 6 so I wouldn't say
that it is fixed in that version.

Murrgon

Sat, 05 Nov 2005 21:45:41 GMT
 Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 122675 Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 122675

Quote:

> If 6.0 is not listed,  you have to assumed the bug should NOT part of 6.0.
> My guess, someone must of reported the bug for v5.0 and Microsoft back
> tracked to all previous versions as well.

You'll get screwed big time if you apply that assumption in general.  There
are many KB articles that don't list later versions when, in fact, the bug is
still present.

Sat, 05 Nov 2005 23:35:11 GMT
 Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 122675 Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 122675
Rob,

In this world of massive information overload, especially in the software
world, you "GOTS" to have some faith in what's written, otherwise you will
go MAD.

Otherwise, what's the use?  Are you going to be hunting down ALL bugs for
older versions or legacy systems and double check if it was not fixed or
not?   No, you can not do this.

In my view, it is ultimately Microsoft's technical and legal responsibility
to get this correctly documented ESPECIALLY in the area of bugs and
defects - its called MAL-PRACTICE & NEGLECT if they can't do their part of
the job right.

With that said, I have lived and applied that assumption for the last 28
years and only got screwed once and that was because the vendor documented
"Bug was fixed and product is CD manufacturing now" which we waited for in
order to release our own value-added product.   The bug was never fixed
after being reported repeated, confirmed and told it will be fixed.  Company
Lawyers got involved and the bug was fixed in one week.  It was the last
time we purchased any more products from this vendor too.  Mistakes are one
thing,  incompetence and neglect is another.

Of course, many people get hurt when BUGS are not documented at all which is
another issue altogether.

--
Hector Santos
WINSERVER "Wildcat! Interactive Net Server"

> > If 6.0 is not listed,  you have to assumed the bug should NOT part of
6.0.
> > My guess, someone must of reported the bug for v5.0 and Microsoft back
> > tracked to all previous versions as well.

> You'll get screwed big time if you apply that assumption in general.
There
> are many KB articles that don't list later versions when, in fact, the bug
is
> still present.

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 05:40:54 GMT

1. Question about Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 247073

2. How can I get the index of the articles in Microsoft Knowledge Base

3. knowledge base articles

4. Where can I find Knowledge Base Article?

5. Knowledge Base

6. INFO: The Programmer's Knowledge Base

7. INFO: The Programmer's Knowledge Base

8. Knowledge Base Gone ????

9. Search Info: Knowledge Based System Generator on Windows (C code)

10. Knowledge Base Q97193 WINCAP Problem

11. Visual C/C++ Knowledge Base

12. Submitting to the Knowledge Base