IPC: Shared memory via dll vs memory map file
Author Message
 IPC: Shared memory via dll vs memory map file

I want to get some professional opinion from people who have
delt with these two methods of IPC.  If anyone could
common on this subject, I would appreciate it.

I want to communicate between processes and I notice
not too many books talk about share memory via dlls.
I have made performance tests to test both shared memory and
memory map file to see which is more efficient and able
to transfer high volume of data between processes.
However, I am wondering when shared memory when it
gets paged by the operating system....?

Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:10:02 GMT
 IPC: Shared memory via dll vs memory map file

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 IPC: Shared memory via dll vs memory map file
Also consider WM_COPYDATA. See "Advanced Windows NT" by Richter.

Regards.

Quote:
> I want to get some professional opinion from people who have
> delt with these two methods of IPC.  If anyone could
> common on this subject, I would appreciate it.

> I want to communicate between processes and I notice
> not too many books talk about share memory via dlls.
> I have made performance tests to test both shared memory and
> memory map file to see which is more efficient and able
> to transfer high volume of data between processes.
> However, I am wondering when shared memory when it
> gets paged by the operating system....?

Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:50:34 GMT
 IPC: Shared memory via dll vs memory map file
David,

You can only transfer small amounts of data using shared segments in dlls -
this is normally used for communication/syncronisation between different
processes, rather than data transfers.
You can however use this method to exchange handles to potentially very
large memory mapped files, and this should be as efficient as it gets. If
serial access to data is enough, also consider pipes.

Quote:
> I want to get some professional opinion from people who have
> delt with these two methods of IPC.  If anyone could
> common on this subject, I would appreciate it.

> I want to communicate between processes and I notice
> not too many books talk about share memory via dlls.
> I have made performance tests to test both shared memory and
> memory map file to see which is more efficient and able
> to transfer high volume of data between processes.
> However, I am wondering when shared memory when it
> gets paged by the operating system....?

Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:41:38 GMT
 IPC: Shared memory via dll vs memory map file
David , why Adrian wrote about small amounts of data in shared segments in
dlls.
Another point of view :
Maybe you not paid attention but  shared memory in dlls have to be
initialized , so imagine you need
to define hundreds of variables in share data and all set to something ( 0
e.g. )
HTH
Arkady

Quote:
> David,

> You can only transfer small amounts of data using shared segments in
dlls -
> this is normally used for communication/syncronisation between different
> processes, rather than data transfers.
> You can however use this method to exchange handles to potentially very
> large memory mapped files, and this should be as efficient as it gets. If
> serial access to data is enough, also consider pipes.

> > I want to get some professional opinion from people who have
> > delt with these two methods of IPC.  If anyone could
> > common on this subject, I would appreciate it.

> > I want to communicate between processes and I notice
> > not too many books talk about share memory via dlls.
> > I have made performance tests to test both shared memory and
> > memory map file to see which is more efficient and able
> > to transfer high volume of data between processes.
> > However, I am wondering when shared memory when it
> > gets paged by the operating system....?

Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:39:42 GMT

1. Crashing when sending a pointer to a large chunk of shared memory via an IPC SendMessage

2. copying CObject-derived-classes to shared memory (created using Memory-Mapped file)

3. Sharing Memory across Processes via DLLs

4. Need to have two program sharing some memory via a DLL

5. Shared memory and IPC in ansi C

6. ipc, shared memory

7. Help in Shared Memory(IPC), pipes

8. Memory-mapped files - pros and cons of mapping view on whole file

9. Shared Memory/File in DLL

10. Help: Mapping complex data structs into shared memory.

11. Sharing C++ object with memory mapping on Windows NT4.0

12. map in shared memory