Build differences for IDE vs command line
Author Message
 Build differences for IDE vs command line

In the process of porting our make process from
human-generated-makefile to Visual Studio
projects I noticed that some of our files wind up
with different file sizes, based, as far as I can
tell, only on whether they were built in the IDE
or on the command line from makefiles generated
from the projects by the IDE.

Does anybody have any information on such a
problem?

BTW, I'm using Visual C++ 97 with service pack
3.  (Naturally we are going to try it out with
MSVC 6.0 also, but I thought it was worth
fielding the question anyway.)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Fri, 02 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Build differences for IDE vs command line
We tried it again with MSVC 6.0, and still get a difference in build
size depending on whether we build from the command line or the IDE.

Hasn't *anybody* seen this?

Alan

Quote:

> In the process of porting our make process from
> human-generated-makefile to Visual Studio
> projects I noticed that some of our files wind up
> with different file sizes, based, as far as I can
> tell, only on whether they were built in the IDE
> or on the command line from makefiles generated
> from the projects by the IDE.

> Does anybody have any information on such a
> problem?

> BTW, I'm using Visual C++ 97 with service pack
> 3.  (Naturally we are going to try it out with
> MSVC 6.0 also, but I thought it was worth
> fielding the question anyway.)

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 10 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Build differences for IDE vs command line

Quote:

> We tried it again with MSVC 6.0, and still get a difference in build
> size depending on whether we build from the command line or the IDE.

> Hasn't *anybody* seen this?

> Alan

I've never seen it. Here's a guess as to what's going on:

When you build from the command line nmake will use the makefile
(yourProj.mak) wheras when you build from within the IDE, the dsp file
is used (yourProj.dsp). These two files may have different settings
for things such as optimizations. Try to resyncronize them by exporting
the makefile from the IDE.

I believe it is possible in VC6.0 to build from the command line using
the dev studio environment. See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/devprods/vs6/visualc/vcug/_asug_buildi
ng_a_project_from_the_command_line.htm for info.

Dan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 10 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. difference between IDE compile and command line

2. command line and IDE Builds.

3. preventing the logo and command line from being printed during command line build

4. Command line vs IDE

5. VC++ Command line builds on Windows 2000 (build 2195)

6. Differences in VS IDE behaviour?

7. Command Line args to main from IDE?

8. IDE and command line linking

9. IDE and command line compilaiton producing diferent results in Borland C++ 4.5

10. IDE and command line compilaiton producing diferent results in Borland C++ 4.5

11. Passing file to IDE from command line

12. Difference between _spawnl and command line?