newbie question - "Cannot open include file" 
Author Message
 newbie question - "Cannot open include file"

Hello,

I have just start learning VC++ and am getting the following error "
fatal error C1083 cannot open include file: 'iostream':no such file or
directory " in my first program I typed. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

Sutton

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.



Tue, 15 Apr 2003 07:39:45 GMT  
 newbie question - "Cannot open include file"

Try #include <iostream.h>?

Ben Ward
WardWEB Design
http://www.wardwebdesign.co.uk

Quote:

> Hello,

> I have just start learning VC++ and am getting the following error "
> fatal error C1083 cannot open include file: 'iostream':no such file or
> directory " in my first program I typed. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

> Thanks

> Sutton

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.



Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:47:41 GMT  
 newbie question - "Cannot open include file"

#include <iostream>  should work as well.
If not, double check under Tools->Options
("Directores" tab) that you have your MS
VC++ include directories listed.

Quote:

> Try #include <iostream.h>?

> Ben Ward
> WardWEB Design
> http://www.wardwebdesign.co.uk


> > Hello,

> > I have just start learning VC++ and am getting the following error "
> > fatal error C1083 cannot open include file: 'iostream':no such file or
> > directory " in my first program I typed. Any help would be greatly
> > appreciated.

> > Thanks

> > Sutton

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.



Tue, 15 Apr 2003 21:38:16 GMT  
 newbie question - "Cannot open include file"

Quote:

> I have just start learning VC++ and am getting the following error "
> fatal error C1083 cannot open include file: 'iostream':no such file or
> directory " in my first program I typed. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

What was the syntax of the include line?  If it was this

#include <iostream>

then you should look to the correctness and completenes of
your install. If it was this

#include "iostream"

then you should change the " to < and >.  The " tell it to look
in the current dir, the <> to look in a compiler related dir.
On my system it's something or other like this.

C:\Program Files\ (yada yada, Visual C etc.) \include

Check in there to see that you have the file.  Check that your
system is set up to point at this as an include dir.

--
grelbr
Free insults!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.



Tue, 15 Apr 2003 23:13:45 GMT  
 newbie question - "Cannot open include file"
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the
Tools|Options|directories tab and all the
include directories are listed. One thing,
I did notice was that I could not find an
iostream.h file. When I installed my software
it said that the installation completed
successfully.

Nandan


Quote:

> #include <iostream>  should work as well.
> If not, double check under Tools->Options
> ("Directores" tab) that you have your MS
> VC++ include directories listed.


> > Try #include <iostream.h>?

> > Ben Ward
> > WardWEB Design
> > http://www.wardwebdesign.co.uk




- Show quoted text -

Quote:
> > > Hello,

> > > I have just start learning VC++ and am getting the following
error "
> > > fatal error C1083 cannot open include file: 'iostream':no such
file or
> > > directory " in my first program I typed. Any help would be greatly
> > > appreciated.

> > > Thanks

> > > Sutton

> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.


Wed, 16 Apr 2003 00:17:55 GMT  
 newbie question - "Cannot open include file"

Also, when using precompiled headers, e.g. stdafx.h, remember
they must appear before any other header file...

#include "stdafx.h"

#include <iostream>

But if you cannot find the file iostream or even iostream.h in
the VC++ include directories then you have an installation problem
(C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98...)

Have you tried the "Find" utility to find these files anywhere on
your harddrive from the desktop? (Start->Find->Files or Folders...)

Quote:

> Hello,

> I have just start learning VC++ and am getting the following error "
> fatal error C1083 cannot open include file: 'iostream':no such file or
> directory " in my first program I typed. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

> Thanks

> Sutton

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.



Wed, 16 Apr 2003 03:16:57 GMT  
 newbie question - "Cannot open include file"
Thanks a lot for all your suggestions. It does
seem like I had a problem with my installation.
After re-installing the software everything looks
fine now.

Thanks once again,

Sutton


Quote:

> Also, when using precompiled headers, e.g. stdafx.h, remember
> they must appear before any other header file...

> #include "stdafx.h"

> #include <iostream>

> But if you cannot find the file iostream or even iostream.h in
> the VC++ include directories then you have an installation problem
> (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98...)

> Have you tried the "Find" utility to find these files anywhere on
> your harddrive from the desktop? (Start->Find->Files or Folders...)


> > Hello,

> > I have just start learning VC++ and am getting the following error "
> > fatal error C1083 cannot open include file: 'iostream':no such file
or
> > directory " in my first program I typed. Any help would be greatly
> > appreciated.

> > Thanks

> > Sutton

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.


Thu, 17 Apr 2003 03:11:03 GMT  
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. "Cannot open include file"

2. Why "cannot open file nafxcwd.lib"?

3. cannot open file "mfc42ud.lib"??

4. cannot open file "nafxcwd.lib"

5. cannot open file "nafxcwd.lib"

6. LNK1104: cannot open file "mfc42u.lib"

7. cannot open file "nafxcwd.lib"

8. cannot open file "nafxcw.lib"

9. Cannot open file "nafxcw.lib"

10. Why cannot open file "MFCCE1d.lib"

11. Newbie - Compile error (Cannot open include file: 'xmldom.idl': No such file or directory)

12. "Cannot save file" error message

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software