Q: How to port a 16-bit application to 32-bit
Author Message
 Q: How to port a 16-bit application to 32-bit

Greetings!

I have a program written in C (16-bit, low-level), dealing with
interrupt handling routines such as _inp, _outp, _dos_setvect, etc.  I
want to be able to port this over to a 32-bit Windows environment, e.g.
M$ Visual C++ Ver. 6.0.  The problem I have is that I'm using a PCMCIA
card that does not come with a driver and therefore I'm kind of stuck.
I'm sure that there must be a way to get around this hurdle.  First of
all, what is the easiest and most feasible way?  Should I go and learn
how to write a driver and use it to develop my application?  That's
probably not the easiest way (for me anyhow) since I'm not a driver
expert and I don't have a whole lot of time.  Second, does Windows have
equivalent functions/macros such as the ones mentioned above to do the
same as those in DOS that I can use?

If anyone has any ideas, please help.  Any suggestions/recommendations
are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Lauren.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 16 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: How to port a 16-bit application to 32-bit
: Greetings!

: I have a program written in C (16-bit, low-level), dealing with
: interrupt handling routines such as _inp, _outp, _dos_setvect, etc.  I
: want to be able to port this over to a 32-bit Windows environment, e.g.
: M$ Visual C++ Ver. 6.0.  The problem I have is that I'm using a PCMCIA
: card that does not come with a driver and therefore I'm kind of stuck.
: I'm sure that there must be a way to get around this hurdle.  First of
: all, what is the easiest and most feasible way?

You could leave the functions that do direct hardware access in one
program, and put everything else in a new Win32 program, and use some
sort of inter-process communication to carry out hardware access from
the main program.

: Should I go and learn
: how to write a driver and use it to develop my application?  That's
: probably not the easiest way (for me anyhow) since I'm not a driver
: expert and I don't have a whole lot of time.

I have no idea how this is done, but it doesn't sound like it's all
that difficult.  It is a cleaner way to do what you want to do.  I
think that if you write a Windows 98 driver it will also work under
Windows 2000.

: Second, does Windows have
: equivalent functions/macros such as the ones mentioned above to do the
: same as those in DOS that I can use?

No, of course not.  Win32 is designed to be implemented by real OSs
like Windows NT, and real OSs don't allow hardware banging.

--
Any opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of Laser-Scan.

Sun, 16 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: How to port a 16-bit application to 32-bit
Ben,
Thank you so much for your kind response.  I'm still very new to Win32
application development concept and was trying to look for an easy way
out.  I guess there's no easy way out!!!

I will consider what you suggested and look into Win32 programming
techniques to solve my problem.

Once again, thanks!

Regards,
Lauren.

Quote:

> : Greetings!

> : I have a program written in C (16-bit, low-level), dealing with
> : interrupt handling routines such as _inp, _outp, _dos_setvect, etc.
> : want to be able to port this over to a 32-bit Windows environment,
e.g.
> : M$ Visual C++ Ver. 6.0.  The problem I have is that I'm using a
PCMCIA
> : card that does not come with a driver and therefore I'm kind of
stuck.
> : I'm sure that there must be a way to get around this hurdle.  First
of
> : all, what is the easiest and most feasible way?

> You could leave the functions that do direct hardware access in one
> program, and put everything else in a new Win32 program, and use some
> sort of inter-process communication to carry out hardware access from
> the main program.

> : Should I go and learn
> : how to write a driver and use it to develop my application?  That's
> : probably not the easiest way (for me anyhow) since I'm not a driver
> : expert and I don't have a whole lot of time.

> I have no idea how this is done, but it doesn't sound like it's all
> that difficult.  It is a cleaner way to do what you want to do.  I
> think that if you write a Windows 98 driver it will also work under
> Windows 2000.

> : Second, does Windows have
> : equivalent functions/macros such as the ones mentioned above to do
the
> : same as those in DOS that I can use?

> No, of course not.  Win32 is designed to be implemented by real OSs
> like Windows NT, and real OSs don't allow hardware banging.

> : If anyone has any ideas, please help.  Any

suggestions/recommendations

Quote:
> : are greatly appreciated.

> --
> Any opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of
Laser-Scan.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Sun, 16 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: How to port a 16-bit application to 32-bit

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Q: How to port a 16-bit application to 32-bit
If you are really desperate to do direct port I/O in NT/95/98.  Check out
www.lvr.com

They have some freeware/shareware drivers listed that would provide for the
functionality you need in this instance.

Regards,

Shelby Cain

Quote:

>Greetings!

>I have a program written in C (16-bit, low-level), dealing with
>interrupt handling routines such as _inp, _outp, _dos_setvect, etc.  I
>want to be able to port this over to a 32-bit Windows environment, e.g.
>M$ Visual C++ Ver. 6.0.  The problem I have is that I'm using a PCMCIA
>card that does not come with a driver and therefore I'm kind of stuck.
>I'm sure that there must be a way to get around this hurdle.  First of
>all, what is the easiest and most feasible way?  Should I go and learn
>how to write a driver and use it to develop my application?  That's
>probably not the easiest way (for me anyhow) since I'm not a driver
>expert and I don't have a whole lot of time.  Second, does Windows have
>equivalent functions/macros such as the ones mentioned above to do the
>same as those in DOS that I can use?

>If anyone has any ideas, please help.  Any suggestions/recommendations
>are greatly appreciated.

>Regards,
>Lauren.

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Sun, 16 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: How to port a 16-bit application to 32-bit

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Q: How to port a 16-bit application to 32-bit

Quote:

>Ben,

<accessing PCMCIA port>

Quote:
>Thank you so much for your kind response.  I'm still very new to Win32
>application development concept and was trying to look for an easy way
>out.  I guess there's no easy way out!!!

>I will consider what you suggested and look into Win32 programming
>techniques to solve my problem.

>Once again, thanks!

You might find it useful to get hold of the device driver kit (DDK).
I know it comes with samples for a mouse driver, and I think PCMCIA
code.  I know the WinCE one does, and it could be a safe bet the Win98
one does too.

Jimbo

Mon, 17 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: How to port a 16-bit application to 32-bit
Jim,
Thank you.  I will look into the DDK you suggested.  Where do you think
is the most probable place(s) and inexpensive?
Again, thanks!!!
Regards,
Lauren

Quote:

> >Ben,
> <accessing PCMCIA port>
> >Thank you so much for your kind response.  I'm still very new to
Win32
> >application development concept and was trying to look for an easy
way
> >out.  I guess there's no easy way out!!!

> >I will consider what you suggested and look into Win32 programming
> >techniques to solve my problem.

> >Once again, thanks!

> You might find it useful to get hold of the device driver kit (DDK).
> I know it comes with samples for a mouse driver, and I think PCMCIA
> code.  I know the WinCE one does, and it could be a safe bet the Win98
> one does too.

> Jimbo
> --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Mon, 17 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: How to port a 16-bit application to 32-bit

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Q: How to port a 16-bit application to 32-bit
Shelby,

Thank you for your help.  I'll check out the website.

Sincerely,
Lauren

Quote:
> If you are really desperate to do direct port I/O in NT/95/98.  Check
out
> www.lvr.com

> They have some freeware/shareware drivers listed that would provide
for the
> functionality you need in this instance.

> Regards,

> Shelby Cain

> >Greetings!

> >I have a program written in C (16-bit, low-level), dealing with
> >interrupt handling routines such as _inp, _outp, _dos_setvect, etc.
> >want to be able to port this over to a 32-bit Windows environment,
e.g.
> >M$ Visual C++ Ver. 6.0.  The problem I have is that I'm using a
PCMCIA
> >card that does not come with a driver and therefore I'm kind of
stuck.
> >I'm sure that there must be a way to get around this hurdle.  First
of
> >all, what is the easiest and most feasible way?  Should I go and
learn
> >how to write a driver and use it to develop my application?  That's
> >probably not the easiest way (for me anyhow) since I'm not a driver
> >expert and I don't have a whole lot of time.  Second, does Windows
have
> >equivalent functions/macros such as the ones mentioned above to do
the
> >same as those in DOS that I can use?

> >If anyone has any ideas, please help.  Any

suggestions/recommendations

Quote:
> >are greatly appreciated.

> >Regards,
> >Lauren.

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Mon, 17 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: How to port a 16-bit application to 32-bit

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Q: How to port a 16-bit application to 32-bit

Quote:

>Jim,
>Thank you.  I will look into the DDK you suggested.  Where do you think
>is the most probable place(s) and inexpensive?
>Again, thanks!!!

'Sall right :-)

Erm...  The company I work for has an MSDN subscription, and I've seen
the DDK cd in the pack of cd's you get.  There is a DDK for each
platform (95, 98 and NT).  You may be able to d/l them off MS's
web-page, or order the CD from them at a cost (don't know, never done
it).  Someone might know. Perhaps another Usenet question :-)

Quote:
>Regards,
>Lauren

Ta ra,

Jimbo

Wed, 19 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: How to port a 16-bit application to 32-bit
Jim,

Quote:
> Erm...  The company I work for has an MSDN subscription, and I've seen
> the DDK cd in the pack of cd's you get.  There is a DDK for each
> platform (95, 98 and NT).  You may be able to d/l them off MS's
> web-page, or order the CD from them at a cost (don't know, never done
> it).  Someone might know. Perhaps another Usenet question :-)

FWIW, I believe you can download the Win98, WinNT40 (and maybe Win2k) DDK, but
not the others. Anyway, look at http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/
for details

--
Tomas Restrepo

http://members.xoom.com/trestrep/

Wed, 19 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. help porting 16 bit to 32 bit (partly assembly) application

2. reading old data, 16 bit application vs 32 bit application

3. porting 16-bit int to 32-bit int with asm code

4. Porting 16-bit to 32-bit code and the use of the LOWORD and HIWORD macros

5. Porting from 16-bit to 32-bit

6. Porting 16 bit code to 32 bit : Resource file with RCDATA

7. porting __segment from 16-bit DLL to 32-bit

8. Porting 16-bit to 32-bit

9. Porting 16-bit app to 32-bit

10. Porting code from 16-bit to 32-bit compiler

11. Porting from 16-bit to 32-bit

12. Porting from 16-bit to 32-bit in VC++