How to get notification when ZIP media arrives and leaves
Author Message
 How to get notification when ZIP media arrives and leaves

I need to get windows to inform me when a ZIP disk is inserted or removed.  I found Q163503 (WM_DEVCICEHANGE) which explains how to get notification of a CDROM disc, and the code works great... Is it even possible to get notification when a floppy disk or a ZIP disk is inserted or removed?

thanks for your help, Mark

-----------------** -- Posted from CodeGuru -- **-----------------
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;  The website for Visual C++ programmers.

Sat, 08 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How to get notification when ZIP media arrives and leaves
Quote:

>I need to get windows to inform me when a ZIP disk is inserted or removed.

I found Q163503 (WM_DEVCICEHANGE) which explains how to get notification of
a CDROM disc, and the code works great... Is it even possible to get
notification when a floppy disk or a ZIP disk is inserted or removed?

I don't think any intrinsic facility exists for floppies. As to ZIP disks,
I'm not sure. What platform are you targeting?

If 9x go to Start->Settings->ControlPanel->System->DeviceManager->Highlight
the Zip Drive->Properties->Settings. Then check to see whether auto-insert
notification is asserted. If so, the driver should check whether there is a
disk in the drive periodically. On a transition it broadcasts the
WM_DEVICECHANGE message.

Also check the knowledge base article Q160800. If I read it correctly, it
implies that auto-insert notification was intended as a feature for Zip
disks on 9x but has a somewhat buggy implementation.

Regards,
Will

Sat, 08 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Media Status Notification

2. cpp.zip -- the zip of zips

3. Getting Media Stream from TAPI

4. Getting Media Stream from TAPI

5. Getting files left by another application

6. Subclassing a Listbox (zip'd source attached) - testapp.zip [0/1]

7. CRichEditCtrl - not getting left mouse button up msg

8. notification getting lost with VC7

9. Getting notification messages from buttons on child dialog templates

10. Button commands/notifications getting mis-routed!

11. List control - Not getting notification of header control

12. Getting notification while moving the Slidebar..?