Is programming windows 98 the same as programming windows 2000
Author Message
 Is programming windows 98 the same as programming windows 2000

Hi,
I'm not sure whether this is the right newsgroup to post my question to, so
I apologise for any mistake that I make.

I guess I should further elaborate what my question means, o.k so here it
goes, you see, I've been learning how to program in windows for a while
using Visual C++ (version 6) on Windows 98 SE and I was thinking of
upgrading my windows to windows 2000. So my question is, are there any
differences between creating a windows 98 program and a windows 2000
program? As I don't want my current windows programming knowledge to go
waste, I hear that win2000 programs are very different from win98
programs.......can anyone please explain to me? Thanks in advance.

also, another question I would like to ask is, can you install directx in
windows 2000?

TDR

Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:19:58 GMT
 Is programming windows 98 the same as programming windows 2000
In general, no.. there is little difference.  There are some differences,
mainly in the capabilities of functions you already know.  GDI components
have larger parameter boundaries than in 98, etc...

There are also some new API's for security and such.  Unless you're writing
device drivers, chances are you won't even notice much difference.

Quote:
> Hi,
> I'm not sure whether this is the right newsgroup to post my question to,
so
> I apologise for any mistake that I make.

> I guess I should further elaborate what my question means, o.k so here it
> goes, you see, I've been learning how to program in windows for a while
> using visual C++ (version 6) on Windows 98 SE and I was thinking of
> upgrading my windows to windows 2000. So my question is, are there any
> differences between creating a windows 98 program and a windows 2000
> program? As I don't want my current windows programming knowledge to go
> waste, I hear that win2000 programs are very different from win98
> programs.......can anyone please explain to me? Thanks in advance.

> also, another question I would like to ask is, can you install directx in
> windows 2000?

> TDR

Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:27:48 GMT

1. Porting Windows 2000 program to windows 98

2. VC++, windows 2000 and windows 98

3. Dialog Resource Color Changed from Windows 98 to Windows 2000

4. Bitmap Color Change when I changed from Windows 98 to Windows 2000

5. Bitmap Resource Background changes color from Windows 98 to Windows 2000

6. Bitmap Background Colors from Windows 98 to Windows 2000

7. Porting Windows 98 apllication to Windows 2000 problem.

8. Program runs ONCE in 98/ME, works fine in Xp/NT/2000

9. Getting MAC Address in WIndows 98 and NT/2000/NT

10. Windows 98 and 2000 with Visual C++

11. IPC windows 95/98/NT/2000

12. QuickView in Windows 98 / 2000