a read-only project
Author Message
 a read-only project

Wed, 02 Mar 2005 20:52:57 GMT
 a read-only project
On Sat, 14 Sep 2002 20:52:57 +0800, "Newbie of Theory"

Quote:

>    Recently, I got a VC project which is written by someone else.
>Now it is my turn to make some modifications to the source code. I
>hate this job.
>    I find this project is read-only. After I modify the source code,
>it will tell me the file is read-only if I press the button to build
>the project. It askes me to save the modified file to a new file even
>if I added a single blank space!
>    Problem still persists after I save the modified file as a new
>one. It tells me there is some .res file missing in some directory.
>    Can anyone help me out of this?

Well, this is a VB group.. but what the hell, won't quarrel about
being one letter off..
Go to Tools->Options and click off "protect read only files" or
something like that.

As for the missing res file in "some directory" is the clue. :)
Have a look at the file name then do a search for that file, if it is
truly missing you're hosed and will have to re-create it.

Look, if you can see a projectname.dsp file. If you open that up in
notepad you can see all the files within your project and the path
they are/were saved at. They're somewhere at the bottom of it.
Maybe the guy saved the res file somewhere else or reused a common res
file from a different location, which now is not accessible or
something. Basically you'll have to find the path to it, remove the
old one and add it in again.

HTH
--
Regards, Frank

Wed, 02 Mar 2005 21:55:21 GMT
 a read-only project
On Sat, 14 Sep 2002 20:52:57 +0800, "Newbie of Theory"

Quote:

>    Recently, I got a VC project which is written by someone else.
>Now it is my turn to make some modifications to the source code. I
>hate this job.
>    I find this project is read-only. After I modify the source code,
>it will tell me the file is read-only if I press the button to build
>the project. It askes me to save the modified file to a new file even
>if I added a single blank space!
>    Problem still persists after I save the modified file as a new
>one. It tells me there is some .res file missing in some directory.
>    Can anyone help me out of this?

Have you checked if the source files *are* read-only?  If they've been
copied from a CD via Explorer or similar, they'll be read only by
default.

HTH

Paul

Wed, 02 Mar 2005 21:45:38 GMT

1. Interop with Project on Project Server

2. conver a VC.net solution/projects back to VC6 workspace/project

3. .NET project locking/loading DLL created by other .NET project

4. .NET project locking/loading DLL created by other .NET project

5. Need help on maintaining session between VB.NET project and C# project

6. Copy Project not available to 20 of 21 projects in Solution Explorer

7. Visual C++ Version 4(Projects and Sub-Projects) Help Please

8. MultiLingual Project: How to set single resource dll for multiple projects

9. Blank Projects window in New Project Wizard

10. modify an existing project to a database project in VC++ 5

11. Visual.Net New Project Wizard for C projects

12. VS6 C++ project makes VS7 crash on project load