VC++ 5.0 Arrives - now to make it install ... 
Author Message
 VC++ 5.0 Arrives - now to make it install ...

Ronald,

You should try installing IE3.01 from by downloading it from the
Internet(since you can't get the CD to install it properly.)  If you don't
plan on connecting to the Internet with it, no need to download the patches
for security.  IE3.01 is used to display the HTML Help and associated
documentation for VC5.  

--
Hope this helps,

Keith Wipprecht
Cincinnati Componentware, Inc.
http://www.*-*-*.com/



Quote:
> I received my copies of VC++ 5.0 today.  I tried installing one at my
> office but was unsuccessful.  After reading the readme file, I decided
> to uninstall VC++ 4.2 before installing 5.0.  One of the first things
> the install does is to install IE 3.0.  All I had was the original
> default IE 2.0 on my server because I never connect this machine to the
> internet.  The installation failed and suggested that I install IE 3.0
> manually.  This also failed.  The error message indicated that the
> installer could not add entries to the registry.  Unfortunately, there
> are no clues as to which entries could not be added.  I could try
> turning on auditing, but without a clue as to where the failure is, this
> is a pretty major undertaking.

> I ran the installation as an administrator and I can't imagine what key
> the installer would be trying to add a subkey to that no other
> applications have touched.

> I wound up unistalling IE 3.0, losing IE 2.0 in the process, and
> reinstalling VC++ 4.2.

> Should I download IE 3.01 (plus a separate patch for the security breach
> ?) and try installing that before VC++ 5.0?

> Anyone else have similar experiences to share?

> Is there a more appropriate newsgroup?

> Ron Martin
> Ann Arbor, MI



Fri, 27 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 VC++ 5.0 Arrives - now to make it install ...


Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT  
 VC++ 5.0 Arrives - now to make it install ...

So I installed VC 5.0, and at the end it offered me the option
to signup online. Except when I try, it says it cannot find the
"Signup" application. I can't find this on the VC 5.0 CD, or
on the Windows 95 CD, and searching the Microsoft website
didn't turn up anything.

Can anyone help??


John R. Mellby



Fri, 27 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 VC++ 5.0 Arrives - now to make it install ...


Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT  
 VC++ 5.0 Arrives - now to make it install ...

I received my copies of VC++ 5.0 today.  I tried installing one at my
office but was unsuccessful.  After reading the readme file, I decided
to uninstall VC++ 4.2 before installing 5.0.  One of the first things
the install does is to install IE 3.0.  All I had was the original
default IE 2.0 on my server because I never connect this machine to the
internet.  The installation failed and suggested that I install IE 3.0
manually.  This also failed.  The error message indicated that the
installer could not add entries to the registry.  Unfortunately, there
are no clues as to which entries could not be added.  I could try
turning on auditing, but without a clue as to where the failure is, this
is a pretty major undertaking.

I ran the installation as an administrator and I can't imagine what key
the installer would be trying to add a subkey to that no other
applications have touched.

I wound up unistalling IE 3.0, losing IE 2.0 in the process, and
reinstalling VC++ 4.2.

Should I download IE 3.01 (plus a separate patch for the security breach
?) and try installing that before VC++ 5.0?

Anyone else have similar experiences to share?

Is there a more appropriate newsgroup?

Ron Martin
Ann Arbor, MI



Fri, 27 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 VC++ 5.0 Arrives - now to make it install ...

Quote:

> I received .. VC++ 5.0 .. tried installing one.. but was unsuccessful...  

Ronald's problems relate to IE and VC4.2 - pretty major problems.
However, I have another, more basic roadblock - which almost makes
me think the VC 5 product may be useless to me.

One of the very first things in the readme says you must have a
'Protected-Mode' CD-ROM driver to install VC5. It further says that
one can examine the driver in 'Device-Manager' to see whether it is
'Real-Mode' or 'Protected-Mode'.  Well foks, on my 486 with Win95,
this entry in Device Manager says NOTHING about protected vs. realmode.

I have a 2X Mitsumi with Proprietary IDE bus interface card.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.




Sat, 28 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 VC++ 5.0 Arrives - now to make it install ...



Quote:

> > I received .. VC++ 5.0 .. tried installing one.. but was
unsuccessful...  

> Ronald's problems relate to IE and VC4.2 - pretty major problems.
> However, I have another, more basic roadblock - which almost makes
> me think the VC 5 product may be useless to me.

> One of the very first things in the readme says you must have a
> 'Protected-Mode' CD-ROM driver to install VC5. It further says that
> one can examine the driver in 'Device-Manager' to see whether it is
> 'Real-Mode' or 'Protected-Mode'.  Well foks, on my 486 with Win95,
> this entry in Device Manager says NOTHING about protected vs. realmode.

> I have a 2X Mitsumi with Proprietary IDE bus interface card.

> Any suggestions?

Two things.  First, if you successfully installed VJ++, then you have
a protected-mode CD-ROM (its installation procedure had the same limi-
tation).  Second, you can check your CONFIG.SYS file:  if it has a line
that installs a CD-ROM driver, you have a real-mode CD-ROM driver.

- Hope this helps, Chuck Upsdell



Sat, 28 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 VC++ 5.0 Arrives - now to make it install ...

Does your device manager say anything about "... drives using MS-DOS
compatibility mode ... " on the "Performance" tab?  If so, then you're
using a real-mode driver.

Basically, a "real mode" driver is one that gets loaded in your
CONFIG.SYS file.  You need to remove this driver from your CONFIG.SYS
file, remove the MSCDEX line from AUTOEXEC.BAT, and then contact your CD
manufacturer about getting a 32-bit "protected mode" driver and install
it.

...Craig...

Quote:


> > I received .. VC++ 5.0 .. tried installing one.. but was unsuccessful...

> Ronald's problems relate to IE and VC4.2 - pretty major problems.
> However, I have another, more basic roadblock - which almost makes
> me think the VC 5 product may be useless to me.

> One of the very first things in the readme says you must have a
> 'Protected-Mode' CD-ROM driver to install VC5. It further says that
> one can examine the driver in 'Device-Manager' to see whether it is
> 'Real-Mode' or 'Protected-Mode'.  Well foks, on my 486 with Win95,
> this entry in Device Manager says NOTHING about protected vs. realmode.

> I have a 2X Mitsumi with Proprietary IDE bus interface card.

> Any suggestions?

> Thanks.





Sat, 28 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 VC++ 5.0 Arrives - now to make it install ...

Quote:

> Does your device manager say anything about "... drives using MS-DOS
> compatibility mode ... " on the "Performance" tab?  If so, then you're
> using a real-mode driver.

Answer: NO

Quote:

> Basically, a "real mode" driver is one that gets loaded in your
> CONFIG.SYS file.  You need to remove this driver from your CONFIG.SYS
> file, remove the MSCDEX line from AUTOEXEC.BAT, and then contact your CD
> manufacturer about getting a 32-bit "protected mode" driver and install
> it.

Well, I seriously doubt that Mitsumi HAS such a driver; and why would
it be necessary - again, again, again - to upgrade a basically NOT-OLD
computer - just to use MS latest "product" ? This is not a quality
control highlight, here.

But realistically, I think win95 is not using the Mitsumi driver in
my config.sys.  Seems I experimented with it once, and removed it.
I think, in fact, during win95 install (each 15 times I've done it),
win95 finds and supplies its own driver (or maybe that's winNT) for
Mitsumi.

In that case, perhaps it is ALREADY using a "protected mode" driver,
hah? Think I will try to delete the devicehigh call in Config.sys
and corresponding mscdex call in a.bat, and see if it makes any
difference to win95. Bet it won't.  Then, aren't I correct to
conclude that, since win95 is doing the 'driving', I already HAVE
a 'protected-mode' driver?

Thanks for the idea. More than I got (or ever expect to get) from
Microsoft.

Again - no, there is no such message from Device Driver.

jrc



Sun, 29 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 VC++ 5.0 Arrives - now to make it install ...

Quote:

> Does your device manager say anything about "... drives using MS-DOS
> compatibility mode ... " on the "Performance" tab?  If so, then you're
> using a real-mode driver.

NO - NO such wording, no messages at all, just a few numbers.

Quote:

> Basically, a "real mode" driver is one that gets loaded in your
> CONFIG.SYS file.  You need to remove this driver from your CONFIG.SYS
> file, remove the MSCDEX line from AUTOEXEC.BAT, and then contact your CD
> manufacturer about getting a 32-bit "protected mode" driver and install
> it.

Well, I think you may have hit it.  I think I have removed - in the
past, such calls from c.sys and a.bat, and things worked ok. In fact,
I think win95 is using its own CD-rom driver for my Mitsumi, in
which case it is probably 'protected-mode'.  I think I will try and
remove the calls from c.sys and a.bat - in fact, I think I have even
run win95 without c.sys and a.bat at all. Bet it will work fine
with my CD drive.

Anyway, that is more info than I got from MS.  And I still maintain
that it is pretty poor practice to require an upgrade to a computer
which is hardly 'OLD' - just to run a compiler. While I could go out
and buy a new and better drive, any people will not
be able to afford this.

jrc



Sun, 29 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 VC++ 5.0 Arrives - now to make it install ...

My win95 system uses a mitsumi cd rom and installed just.... until it was
time to make a program group. At that point I got a message saying to the
effect that the installation program could not establish DDE communications
with the program manager. That's a new one for me. The system is an intel
motherboard with an AMI bios and is about as stock a system as I can make
it except for having three 1.6 gig disks and a scsi subsystem.

Anyone else see the failure to create a program group and install icons?
--
Richard Lewis Haggard

Haggard & Associates, International



Sun, 29 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 VC++ 5.0 Arrives - now to make it install ...

Quote:

> Well, I think you may have hit it.  I think I have removed - in the
> past, such calls from c.sys and a.bat, and things worked ok. In fact,
> I think win95 is using its own CD-rom driver for my Mitsumi, in
> which case it is probably 'protected-mode'.  I think I will try and
> remove the calls from c.sys and a.bat - in fact, I think I have even
> run win95 without c.sys and a.bat at all. Bet it will work fine
> with my CD drive.

> Anyway, that is more info than I got from MS.  And I still maintain
> that it is pretty poor practice to require an upgrade to a computer
> which is hardly 'OLD' - just to run a compiler. While I could go out
> and buy a new and better drive, any people will not
> be able to afford this.

> jrc

It's not so much that you're using an "old" computer -- it's that you're
not using the "new" drivers, the ones that can take better advantage of
what you've already got.  I've seen many install programs that require
these 32-bit "protected mode" drivers for one reason or another.  It's
not just Microsoft.  

Like someone mentioned earlier, if you can remove those lines from your
CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files (or remove those files altogether) and
your system still runs, then you're using the correct drivers.  And
you're computer will probably like you a lot better for doing that,
too!  <BG>

...Craig...



Sun, 29 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 VC++ 5.0 Arrives - now to make it install ...

Quote:
>Think I will try to delete the devicehigh call in Config.sys
>and corresponding mscdex call in a.bat, and see if it makes any
>difference to win95. Bet it won't.  Then, aren't I correct to
>conclude that, since win95 is doing the 'driving', I already HAVE
>a 'protected-mode' driver?

If you comment out the CD driver and MSCDEX, and your CD-ROM still
works, then you can be sure that Win95 is using its own protected mode
driver.

Dave
----
Address is altered to discourage junk mail.
Remove ".---" for the real address.



Sun, 29 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 VC++ 5.0 Arrives - now to make it install ...

        Win95 itself ships with a 32-bit protected mode Mitsumi driver --- which
worked for my 1X external CDROM (SotA 1991) which I used on my 386/20 (SotA
1988).  The ONLY reason I've found to have either Autoexec.bat or a
config.sys is to load DOSKEY so it's available should you open a command
prompt window.



Quote:
> Well, I think you may have hit it.  I think I have removed - in the
> past, such calls from c.sys and a.bat, and things worked ok. In fact,
> I think win95 is using its own CD-rom driver for my Mitsumi, in
> which case it is probably 'protected-mode'.  I think I will try and
> remove the calls from c.sys and a.bat - in fact, I think I have even
> run win95 without c.sys and a.bat at all. Bet it will work fine
> with my CD drive.



Sun, 29 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 VC++ 5.0 Arrives - now to make it install ...

Quote:
> It's not so much that you're using an "old" computer -- it's that you're
> not using the "new" drivers, the ones that can take better advantage of
> what you've already got.  I've seen many install programs that require
> these 32-bit "protected mode" drivers for one reason or another.  It's
> not just Microsoft.

> Like someone mentioned earlier, if you can remove those lines from your
> CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files (or remove those files altogether) and
> your system still runs, then you're using the correct drivers.  And
> you're computer will probably like you a lot better for doing that,
> too!  <BG>

> ...Craig...

In the first place, the 32 bit driver for your cdrom is to detect long
file names in Win95.  Second, it has nothing to do with being loaded
upon boot up.  All of my cdroms have 32 bit drivers and all of them load
in config.sys and mscdex loads in autoexec.bat.

--



Mon, 30 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 18 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages 

1. Co-install of VC 5.0 and VC 6.0

2. VC++ 5.0 installed VC++ 4.0 uninstall?

3. Making an install package on VC++

4. making VC 5.0 and 6.0 coexist on the same machine

5. Starter App made with AppWizard of VC 5.0 gives me link errors

6. VC++ 5.0 makes ToolTips not working with old COMCTL32.DLL

7. Can't install symbol files in VC++ 5.0

8. Installing VC++ V.60 Without Uninstalling V. 5.0

9. Installing VC++ 5.0 on Win 98

10. VC++ 5.0 install question

11. VC 5.0 fails to load after an install

12. Problems Installing VC 5.0 (from Visual Studio 97)

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software