reliable AutoSave?
Author Message
 reliable AutoSave?

VC++ mysteriously ate my programming work from yesterday.  Completely
deleted the file I had been working on.  I suspect it had something to do
with running a CPU-hogging subprocess within VC++, then switching to a game,
then killing the hogging subprocess via Task Manager.  Guess it kablooeyed
VC++ and my file.  Even though there were previously saved versions of it,
it's totally gone now.  All of this brought to you by that wonderful piece
of robust OS Engineering, Windows 2000!

Anyways, is there a reliable AutoSave mechanism available for VC++?  I'm
aware of an unsupported one according to KB Article Q248130.  From a mission
critical standpoint, that's "unreliable" unless lotsa people can provide me
anecdotal evidence to the contrary.  A high-quality, bulletproof 3rd party
solution of some kind would be preferred.  I don't want to lose more than 5
minutes of work, I want lotsa old versions AutoSaved.  This mishap didn't
cost me, but I don't care to be losing a day's worth of work in the future
because of the bozo OS/VC++/Microsoft/whatever.  Unacceptable!

--
Cheers,                         www.3DProgrammer.com
Brandon Van Every               Seattle, WA

20% of the world is real.

Thu, 04 Dec 2003 08:32:24 GMT
 reliable AutoSave?
Check this out:  http://www.codeguru.com/devstudio_macros/AutoSave.shtml
Quote:
> Anyways, is there a reliable AutoSave mechanism available for VC++?

Sun, 07 Dec 2003 20:39:40 GMT
 reliable AutoSave?
I use that one, its unreliable. The problem is that if the autosave
comes on during certain instances (project settings open etc),
the IDE will crash you can recover it by debugging the IDE
and forcing a return.

i  know this for sure i do it 5 or 6 times a day =)

i was thinking of modding it so it searches for a windowclass
and won't do the autosave while the project settings is open.

You could turn down the save frequency.

otherwise its pretty good.

charlie

Quote:
> Check this out:  http://www.codeguru.com/devstudio_macros/AutoSave.shtml

> > Anyways, is there a reliable AutoSave mechanism available for VC++?

Thu, 11 Dec 2003 03:22:21 GMT

1. Any way to have editor autosave in MSVC environment

2. autosave using OnTimer

3. Autosave

4. Free reliable wordcount utility available (final version)

5. reliable message passing using pthreads?

6. Affordable and reliable IrDA infrared communications for 8/16/32/64 bit CPU's

7. Reliable float values

8. Reliable Signals...

9. Reliable serial port driver for PC?

10. Is WTL less reliable than ATL?