Alternative source code control system wanted
Author Message
 Alternative source code control system wanted

Hello,

I'm looking for an alternative source code control system to plug
into VC++ instead of Visual Source Safe. Does anyone know of such
products? Which are recommended, which are not?

Thanks for any info.

Regards
W. R?sler
GRP Entwicklungs- und Vertriebsgesellschaft
fr Produktionsdatenerfassungsanlagen mbH        Wolfram R?sler

D-52072 Aachen                                   Tel. 0241-88930-17
http://www.*-*-*.com/                                Fax  0241-870787

Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:08:08 GMT
 Alternative source code control system wanted
Have you looked at PVCS yet?

Tue, 29 Jun 2004 23:00:31 GMT
 Alternative source code control system wanted

Quote:

> I'm looking for an alternative source code control system to plug
> into VC++ instead of Visual Source Safe. Does anyone know of such
> products? Which are recommended, which are not?

There are dozens, but none of them integrate as well as VSS does.

PVCS, MKS SI, StarTeam, Perforce, AccuRev, etc..

Wed, 30 Jun 2004 00:29:45 GMT
 Alternative source code control system wanted
I've heard nothing but raves about PerForce. We're probably switching to
it.

It's easy to try out. You can download it for free and use it forever,
for up to
two clients. Once you're sold on its features and need more copies, then
you
pay. Nice and safe.

It's supposed to integrate nicely with VC++.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with PerForce, and I haven't switched to
it yet.

Quote:

> Hello,

> I'm looking for an alternative source code control system to plug
> into VC++ instead of Visual Source Safe. Does anyone know of such
> products? Which are recommended, which are not?

> Thanks for any info.

> Regards
> W. R?sler
> --
> GRP Entwicklungs- und Vertriebsgesellschaft
> fr Produktionsdatenerfassungsanlagen mbH        Wolfram R?sler

> D-52072 Aachen                                   Tel. 0241-88930-17
> http://www.grp.de                                Fax  0241-870787

Thu, 01 Jul 2004 02:38:25 GMT
 Alternative source code control system wanted
On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:29:45 -0600, "Erik Funkenbusch"

Quote:

>There are dozens, but none of them integrate as well as VSS does.

Which do, then?

Does anybody have any experience with CS-RCS
(http://www.componentsoftware.com/csrcs/)? I downloaded the
trial version but haven't looked into it yet.

Thanks again
W. R?sler
GRP Entwicklungs- und Vertriebsgesellschaft
fr Produktionsdatenerfassungsanlagen mbH        Wolfram R?sler

D-52072 Aachen                                   Tel. 0241-88930-17
http://www.grp.de                                Fax  0241-870787

Fri, 02 Jul 2004 16:03:50 GMT
 Alternative source code control system wanted
We switched to it about a month ago.  Much better performance than VSS, to
the point where it is very usable over VPN on a cable modem.  Branching is
quite different, but I think much more capable than VSS.

The GUI interface is a little crude, and the DevStudio integration leaves
something to be desired if you use a workspace with multiple projects in it.

We find that we tend to use the DevStudio integration to check out and check
in files, but use the Perforce IDE for doing a full sync (a get in VSS
terms).

So far we are very happy customers.

Quote:
> I've heard nothing but raves about PerForce. We're probably switching to
> it.

> It's easy to try out. You can download it for free and use it forever,
> for up to
> two clients. Once you're sold on its features and need more copies, then
> you
> pay. Nice and safe.

> It's supposed to integrate nicely with VC++.

> Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with PerForce, and I haven't switched to
> it yet.

> > Hello,

> > I'm looking for an alternative source code control system to plug
> > into VC++ instead of Visual Source Safe. Does anyone know of such
> > products? Which are recommended, which are not?

> > Thanks for any info.

> > Regards
> > W. R?sler
> > --
> > GRP Entwicklungs- und Vertriebsgesellschaft
> > fr Produktionsdatenerfassungsanlagen mbH        Wolfram R?sler

> > D-52072 Aachen                                   Tel. 0241-88930-17
> > http://www.grp.de                                Fax  0241-870787

Fri, 02 Jul 2004 22:13:29 GMT
 Alternative source code control system wanted

(about PerForce)

Quote:
>We switched to it about a month ago.  Much better performance than VSS, to
>the point where it is very usable over VPN on a cable modem.  Branching is
>quite different, but I think much more capable than VSS.

>The GUI interface is a little crude, and the DevStudio integration leaves
>something to be desired if you use a workspace with multiple projects in it.

>We find that we tend to use the DevStudio integration to check out and check
>in files, but use the Perforce IDE for doing a full sync (a get in VSS
>terms).

>So far we are very happy customers.

Pleased to hear that; I was quite lucky with what I saw of PerForce on
first glance, and they seem to have a huge customer base.

Which however are the problems you encountered with workspaces with
multiple projects? 'Cause that's exactly what we are doing all the
time.

Thanks for your help
W. R?sler
GRP Entwicklungs- und Vertriebsgesellschaft
fr Produktionsdatenerfassungsanlagen mbH        Wolfram R?sler

D-52072 Aachen                                   Tel. 0241-88930-17
http://www.grp.de                                Fax  0241-870787

Mon, 05 Jul 2004 23:25:31 GMT
 Alternative source code control system wanted
At my office we use Rational's ClearCase.  It integrates itself into
Visual Studio and CodeWright nicely.  CodeWright is more important
because it's the better IDE to use with the ARM compilers.  (The ARM
IDEs are not as good. Sorry ARM.).  I'm the only developing for the
Windows platfrom and I find it to work fine for my needs.
Quote:

> Hello,

> I'm looking for an alternative source code control system to plug
> into VC++ instead of Visual Source Safe. Does anyone know of such
> products? Which are recommended, which are not?

> Thanks for any info.

> Regards
> W. R?sler

Tue, 06 Jul 2004 03:50:41 GMT
 Alternative source code control system wanted
I'll start with a caveat:  we didn't spend huge amounts of time looking for
a solution to these problems, so perhaps there is a simple configuration
trick we missed.

We were coming from a Sourcesafe installation.  The usual practice in
Sourcesafe was to periodically delete the entire source tree, start
DevStudio, and do file->open workspace->source control .  That would bring
up a Sourcesafe project browser, where we could pick the dsw file we wanted
and it would bring everything down.  Our source tree has a structure like:

\source
    \common
        \dll1
            \source
        \dll2
            \source
        \lib1
   \product
        product.dsw

When we attempted to get from a clean directory in Perforce, it would always
fail to find the product.dsw file.  It would navigate through the common
tree and find all of the dsw files, but always fail to find the product.dsw
file.  We had an explanation of why that was that I have forgotten.

If in devstudio you use the integration to tell it to get files, it will
report an error for every file you already have on your system.  This error
can be ignored,  but makes it difficult to spot a real error in the mix.

By doing a sync from Perforce before starting DevStudio both of these
problems became non-issues, and the sync operation is blindingly fast.

The practice of doing our gets from within devstudio was to ensure that
everything needed to build the project was actually referenced by the
project file.  Periodically deleting the source tree was done so that we
could make sure no obsolete files were in the system.

Since we switched to Perforce we have stopped doing that, and it has become
kind of a non-issue.  One of the ways Perforce differs from Sourcesafe is
that it will delete a file from the client system if it is removed from the
database (depot in Perforce terms).  That removed our worry about obsolete
files (the scenario we worried about was a developer deleting a .h file from
Sourcesafe, but having it left on local machines.  If the definitions in
that .h file conflicted with the current files in Sourcesafe, you had very
hard to diagnose problems).  We scan our projects for external dependencies
to make sure that the project files reference everything required to build.

One of the incredibly annoying things about multi-project operations in
Sourcesafe was that the "Yes to all" checkbox was only remembered on a per
project setting.  If you are getting to an empty directory and have 25
project in the workspace, Sourcesafe will ask you 25 times if it is OK to
create a directory, even if you select "Yes to all" each time. Perforce
doesn't have that problem.

Despite the little nits about integration, we haven't ever been tempted to

Joe Fromm

Quote:

> (about PerForce)

> >We switched to it about a month ago.  Much better performance than VSS,
> >the point where it is very usable over VPN on a cable modem.  Branching
is
> >quite different, but I think much more capable than VSS.

> >The GUI interface is a little crude, and the DevStudio integration leaves
> >something to be desired if you use a workspace with multiple projects in
it.

> >We find that we tend to use the DevStudio integration to check out and
check
> >in files, but use the Perforce IDE for doing a full sync (a get in VSS
> >terms).

> >So far we are very happy customers.

> Pleased to hear that; I was quite lucky with what I saw of PerForce on
> first glance, and they seem to have a huge customer base.

> Which however are the problems you encountered with workspaces with
> multiple projects? 'Cause that's exactly what we are doing all the
> time.

> Thanks for your help
> W. R?sler
> --
> GRP Entwicklungs- und Vertriebsgesellschaft
> fr Produktionsdatenerfassungsanlagen mbH        Wolfram R?sler

> D-52072 Aachen                                   Tel. 0241-88930-17
> http://www.grp.de                                Fax  0241-870787

Tue, 06 Jul 2004 06:32:30 GMT

1. Wanted: source code version control software

2. Wanted: source code dead code remover

3. WANTED: sources for VT100 windowing system

4. C source code tool wanted

5. libc.a source code wanted

6. Source code for Editor Wanted

7. Wanted: Modem Source Code

8. Source Code wanted

9. Source code for a C Compiler wanted

10. Source code for data compression -- wanted

11. CRC-16 source code wanted

12. Source code to virus wanted?