linker error again: unusual fatal error LNK1104
Author Message
 linker error again: unusual fatal error LNK1104

Hi,
Linking...
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open
file "D:\Program.obj"
Of cause I have not any Program.* in my project. Some how
my actions have provoked this error. This Visual Studio
project is quite considerable size and I look through all
project settings and exported makefile - no any hints.
MSDN search was unsuccessful too.
Can anybody give me suggestion about technique of
localizing such error?
Thanks
Oleg
   (Windows 2000 Pro sp2, Visual Studio 6.0 sp5)

Mon, 04 Oct 2004 19:44:25 GMT
 linker error again: unusual fatal error LNK1104
Hi All,
I'm sorry I've managed to localize an error. But it still
unclear for me.
An error is because of additional libraries. Next is two
sample configurations, first generates an error, second is
not.
1.
Object/library modules:
  l0.lib,$(var1)\lib\l1.lib,$(var1)\lib\slib\l2.lib
Additional library path:
  $(var0)\lib,$var1\lib

2.
Object/library modules:
  l0.lib,l1.lib,l2.lib
Additional library path:
  $(var0)\lib,$(var1)\lib,$(var1)\lib1\slib

Any explanations ?
And why linker looks for D:\Program.obj ?

Oleg

Quote:

Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:02:51 GMT
 linker error again: unusual fatal error LNK1104
Oleg,
"Object/library modules" entires are supposed to be separated by "space"
not "coma".

Thank you,
Bobby Mattappally
Microsoft Developer Support

>Hi All,
>I'm sorry I've managed to localize an error. But it still
>unclear for me.
>An error is because of additional libraries. Next is two
>sample configurations, first generates an error, second is
>not.
>1.
>Object/library modules:
>  l0.lib,$(var1)\lib\l1.lib,$(var1)\lib\slib\l2.lib
>Additional library path:
>  $(var0)\lib,$var1\lib

>2.
>Object/library modules:
>  l0.lib,l1.lib,l2.lib
>Additional library path:
>  $(var0)\lib,$(var1)\lib,$(var1)\lib1\slib

>Any explanations ?
>And why linker looks for D:\Program.obj ?

>Oleg

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 02:37:49 GMT
 linker error again: unusual fatal error LNK1104
Hi Bobby!
You are right of cause. But it was my mistake in typing
message, not in project settings. Otherwise how do you
think I've managed to build second configuration? "library
path" needs comma, yes. And I have not pasted setting from
project, but typed an example. I'm sorry.
But I test myself now and reproduce this error again
without any commas in Object/library modules.

To be accurate I paste now this settings from project.
First  generates an error, second is not.
1.
Object/library modules:
$(QTDIR)\lib\qt-mt303.lib $(QTDIR)\lib\qtmain.lib
libthc++.lib libthdmi.lib $(IFMXSDKDIR)\lib\isqlt09a.lib
kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib comdlg32.lib
advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib
imm32.lib winmm.lib wsock32.lib winspool.lib

Additional library path:
$(IFMXSDKDIR)\lib\cpp,$(IFMXSDKDIR)\lib\dmi

2.
Object/library modules:
$(QTDIR)\lib\qt-mt303.lib $(QTDIR)\lib\qtmain.lib
libthc++.lib libthdmi.lib isqlt09a.lib kernel32.lib
user32.lib gdi32.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib
ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib imm32.lib winmm.lib
wsock32.lib winspool.lib

Additional library path:
$(IFMXSDKDIR)\lib,$(IFMXSDKDIR)\lib\cpp,$(IFMXSDKDIR)
\lib\dmi

So
Linking...
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open
file "D:\Program.obj"

Stay unclear..
Regards
Oleg

Quote:

confers no rights.

>>Hi All,
>>I'm sorry I've managed to localize an error. But it
still
>>unclear for me.
>>An error is because of additional libraries. Next is two
>>sample configurations, first generates an error, second
is
>>not.
>>1.
>>Object/library modules:
>>  l0.lib,$(var1)\lib\l1.lib,$(var1)\lib\slib\l2.lib
>>Additional library path:
>>  $(var0)\lib,$var1\lib

>>2.
>>Object/library modules:
>>  l0.lib,l1.lib,l2.lib
>>Additional library path:
>>  $(var0)\lib,$(var1)\lib,$(var1)\lib1\slib

>>Any explanations ?
>>And why linker looks for D:\Program.obj ?

>>Oleg

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 04:32:35 GMT
 linker error again: unusual fatal error LNK1104

Can you look at the  <project_name>.plg file created to see the exact
arguments paased to the linker and compare that
with the working one?

If this doesn't help you can also try to create a  LINK_REPRO directory and
get an idea of what exactly is happening by looking at the link.rsp file
created.

This is explained in the article below:
Q134650 HOWTO: Get Info for Troubleshooting Compiler & Linker Problems
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q134650

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Bobby Mattappally
Microsoft Developer Support

--------------------

Quote:
>Hi Bobby!
>You are right of cause. But it was my mistake in typing
>message, not in project settings. Otherwise how do you
>think I've managed to build second configuration? "library
>path" needs comma, yes. And I have not pasted setting from
>project, but typed an example. I'm sorry.
>But I test myself now and reproduce this error again
>without any commas in Object/library modules.

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 05:46:58 GMT
 linker error again: unusual fatal error LNK1104
Hi Bobby,
I understand!  And I remember - a few years ago I'd had
such problem.
The problems is that $(IFMXSDKDIR)\lib\isqlt09a.lib
contains space in IFMXSDKDIR and not in quotes in system
environment settings (D:\Program Files\Informix\Client-
SDK). Here is where those D:\Program.obj from! This is
reason not to use environment variables in "Object/library
modules:" settings of VS. But if to set IFMXSDKDIR in
quotes in system env.setting then we need next notation
for "Additional library path:"
"$(IFMXSDKDIR)\lib\cpp","$(IFMXSDKDIR)\lib\dmi"
to eleminate *.lib search problem.

Thank you

Oleg
PS. The LINK_REPRO directory for error buld as expected
contains only one file - link.rsp

Quote:

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 21:51:43 GMT

1. What is Fatal Error LNK1104?

2. Linker error LNK1104?

3. linker fatal error

4. Microsoft Linker *FATAL ERROR* On Automation Client Build!!!

5. fatal error C1001: INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR

6. fatal error C1001: INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR

7. fatal error C1001: INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR

8. fatal error C1001: INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR

9. fatal error C1001: INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR

10. LINK : fatal error LNK1000: unknown error

11. LINK : fatal error LNK1000: Internal error during BuildImage

12. fatal error C1001: INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR