How to fit DevStudio in a "nightly build" environment?
Author Message
 How to fit DevStudio in a "nightly build" environment?

I'm trying to fit Developer's studio into an existing "batch make"
program.  This batch make program runs unattended overnight, so any
solution must be "automatic".  To do this I need to be able to do ONE
of the following things (which I can't currently figure out how to
do, yet):

1. Automatically "export makefile" (like on Projects -> Export Makefile)
   I can't find any VBScript command or add-in command that would allow
   me to write a macro or add-in that will export a makefile.  I tried
   recording a macro for it, but there is no statement in the macro to
   export the makefile (just some document save commands).  Is this
   possible to do?

2. Be able to "grab" the output of the compiler and linker (i.e., what
   is printed in the "build" window tab), and write it out to where I
   want.  I can't find any way to automatically "select" this text
   and grab it.  Nor can I find a way to re-direct the output
   from cl.exe and link.exe.

I'm relatively new to Developer's Studio, so I hope there is something
obvious or easy that I don't know.  If I can accomplish either one of
the two things listed above, then I can complete this task.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Jeff

Note: My return address MAY contain the text "nospam" in it to
reduce the amount of unwanted email.  To send email to me,
remove the "nospam" from my address.

Thu, 15 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How to fit DevStudio in a "nightly build" environment?
Doing automated builds is surprisingly difficult. There was a web page that
somebody had dedicated to this topic, but when I visited it two weeks ago it
had either moved or gone for good. Microsoft also has a white paper in their
knowledge base concerning DevStudio automation, but as you can image they
stop just short of really giving you the solution.

There is a global setting in DevStudio that always exports makefiles
whenever a .dsp file is saved. this might get you around the macro. What
Microsoft recommends is writing a DevStudio add-in to build your project.
You might want to do this since inter-project dependencies aren't stored in
makefiles (at least I think they aren't). For instance if you have A.dsp and
B.dsp together in a workspace, and B depends on A. This information is
actually stored in your .dsw file, and will not be exported to a makefile.

Also, the output of your makes, at least the ones done in DevStudio, go into
.plg files which are ASCII readible. Happy automating. If you actually get
it working then you're ahead of me.

Quote:

>I'm trying to fit Developer's studio into an existing "batch make"
>program.  This batch make program runs unattended overnight, so any
>solution must be "automatic".  To do this I need to be able to do ONE
>of the following things (which I can't currently figure out how to
>do, yet):

>1. Automatically "export makefile" (like on Projects -> Export Makefile)
>   I can't find any VBScript command or add-in command that would allow
>   me to write a macro or add-in that will export a makefile.  I tried
>   recording a macro for it, but there is no statement in the macro to
>   export the makefile (just some document save commands).  Is this
>   possible to do?

>2. Be able to "grab" the output of the compiler and linker (i.e., what
>   is printed in the "build" window tab), and write it out to where I
>   want.  I can't find any way to automatically "select" this text
>   and grab it.  Nor can I find a way to re-direct the output
>   from cl.exe and link.exe.

>I'm relatively new to Developer's Studio, so I hope there is something
>obvious or easy that I don't know.  If I can accomplish either one of
>the two things listed above, then I can complete this task.

>Thanks a lot for your help,
>Jeff

>--
>Note: My return address MAY contain the text "nospam" in it to
>reduce the amount of unwanted email.  To send email to me,
>remove the "nospam" from my address.

Fri, 16 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. "Best fit" algorithm (help)

2. DevStudio "Merging Keywords"

3. Implement a "Workspace" document like DevStudio

4. Toolbarbutton "LINK-ONLY" in DevStudio

5. HP "C" Environment Question

6. unresolved Environment Variable "$(DDKPATH)"

7. unresolved Environment Variable "$(DDKPATH)"

8. Setting "environment" for DLL

9. 95/98 "Out of Environment Space"

10. "zombie state" build error

11. "Unrecoverable build error" for Setup projects

12. Problems with "Release MinSize/MinDependency" BUILD