Compile time
Author Message
 Compile time

Is there a way for me to see the amount of time a project takes to compile
without using an old fashioned stop watch?

Thanks,
-Corey

Sun, 02 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Compile time
Start with msdev.exe /y3.

Thanks,
Joshua Jensen
Author, Workspace Whiz! - A Visual Studio Add-in
http://workspacewhiz.com/

Quote:
> Is there a way for me to see the amount of time a project takes to compile
> without using an old fashioned stop watch?

> Thanks,
> -Corey

Sun, 02 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Compile time
Cool! How'd you find that option?

Quote:

--
.Bruce Dawson, Humongous Entertainment (we're hiring).
http://www.humongous.com/

Sun, 02 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Compile time

I'll second that.  Are there any other useful undocumented flags?  Thanks.

Quote:
> Cool! How'd you find that option?

> > Start with msdev.exe /y3.

> > Thanks,
> > Joshua Jensen
> > Author, Workspace Whiz! - A Visual Studio Add-in
> > http://workspacewhiz.com/

> > > Is there a way for me to see the amount of time a project takes to
compile
> > > without using an old fashioned stop watch?

> > > Thanks,
> > > -Corey

> --
> .Bruce Dawson, Humongous Entertainment (we're hiring).
> http://www.humongous.com/
> Send job applications by e-mail, post technical questions
> to the newsgroups please. Thanks.

Sun, 02 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Compile time

An Inside Look at Developing Applications Using the New Features of Visual
C++ 6. /Y3 is documented there. I suppose you folks know about /Bd which is
like the linker /verbose.

Fri, 07 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Compile time

Is that a book?  What is the ISBN?  Any other flags mentioned?  Thanks.

Quote:
> An Inside Look at Developing Applications Using the New Features of Visual
> C++ 6. /Y3 is documented there. I suppose you folks know about /Bd which
is
> like the linker /verbose.

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Compile time

It's an article from MSJ (October 1998). If you have MSDN, just search for
the title and you'll find it. Otherwise, it is online:
  http://www.microsoft.com/msj/backissues98.asp

That's the only undocumented flag mentioned that I noticed.

/Bd is mentioned in KB article Q68835.

Quote:

--
 - Katy

Katy Mulvey             Please post replies to the newsgroup, thanks!
ORMEC Systems           Check out the VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq
http://www.ormec.com    MVP/VC++  http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Compile time

Ah - thanks Ranga.

A quick search on google found this MSJ article - don't forget to
deal with the URL wrap:

http://www.microsoft.com/msj/defaulttop.asp?page=/msj/1098/vc6newfeat...

It's a useful article - despite being really badly written. Here's
my "favourite" quote:

Quote:
> I checked the settings and realized that I was using /YX (automatic use of
> precompiled headers), something that I've noticed users do quite frequently.
> This switch is not recommended since it incurs obvious overhead.

Why does this quote annoy me? First of all the 'not recommended' switch is
the _default_ behaviour for most VC++ projects (with VC++ 5.0 it was the
default for all non-MFC projects I believe).

Second, the 'obvious' overhead comment really bugged me. If it was obvious,
people wouldn't do it, would they. He never does explain what the 'obvious'
overhead is, nor does he explain how to properly setup precompiled headers -
something the help does a poor job of (IMHO).

Quote:

--
.Bruce Dawson, Humongous Entertainment (we're hiring).
http://www.humongous.com/
Send job applications by e-mail, post technical questions
to the newsgroups please. Thanks.

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Determining type at run-time or compile-time

2. sizeof operator execution - ? run time/compile time

3. Compile times slowing down

4. Supressing warning at compile time

5. Checking program's compile time

6. compile time assert ?

7. Pointer vs array compile-time distiction

8. Pointer vs array compile-time distinction (macros)

9. compile time assert ?

10. How to Check Endianity in Compile time?

11. Checking sizeof at compile time