Using dump information
Author Message
 Using dump information

Can anyone explain, or direct me to a resource which explains how to make
use of the information provided by Windows when it detects an error?  I'm
speaking of the standard window which says along the lines of program xxxx
has performed an illegal operation.  Pressing the Detail pushbutton displays
various data such as the data in registers.  Specifically, is there a way to
use this information to determine which line of source code caused the
error?  As a point of reference, I'm familiar (although it has been awhile)
with AbendAid on OS/390 and its dump information provided an address which
could be located in a map created during compilation in order to determine
the offending source line.

Mon, 15 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using dump information
The following instructions assume that your build was created with debug
information. All builds, including final release builds should be created this
way.

Load the executable that crashed into the de{*filter*}. If it is not the current
version then you should load the actual executable as a workspace. Then
single step to load the executable into the de{*filter*} without starting it
running. Then open up a registers window and type the EIP value from
the registers dump into the EIP of the registers window. Hit return and
double click on the top of the call stack to force a source code load - the
de{*filter*} should show you the relevant code.

Make CERTAIN that you are using exactly the same executable that crashed.

You can do this manually with a .map file, but doing it in the de{*filter*} gives
you more information - you can look at the source and disassembly and
the registers and stack dump to try and decipher what went wrong.

Quote:

--
.Bruce Dawson, Cavedog Entertainment.
Makers of Total Annihilation - http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 15 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using dump information
Look up CrashFinder on MSDN.

-- Jim Beveridge

Quote:
> Can anyone explain, or direct me to a resource which explains how to make
> use of the information provided by Windows when it detects an error?  I'm
> speaking of the standard window which says along the lines of program xxxx
> has performed an illegal operation.  Pressing the Detail pushbutton
displays
> various data such as the data in registers.  Specifically, is there a way
> use this information to determine which line of source code caused the
> error?  As a point of reference, I'm familiar (although it has been
awhile)
> with AbendAid on OS/390 and its dump information provided an address which
> could be located in a map created during compilation in order to determine
> the offending source line.

Tue, 23 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Using dump information

2. dumping exception information

3. Dump(...) stops dumping

4. Using windbg to debug crash dumps

5. How to analyze a memory dump using windbg?

6. Detect memory leaks using Dump

7. ATL OLE DB consumer using attribute -- information?

8. Information on C# and using RPCs

9. SP3 Error in debug information whilst using _com_ptr_t instances

10. SP3 Error in debug information whilst using _com_ptr_t instances

11. Using VC++ to get system/hardware information

12. Automating: Getting Information using HTTPS