VC6's New Dynamic Class View Update
Author Message
 VC6's New Dynamic Class View Update

Hello there,

One of the new VC++ 6 IDE features is the new dynamic class-view
update, where it's being updated as-you-type code, instead of updating
it when the file is saved.

This was neat, when I first used it, and on small-ish projects it is
quite handy.   Trouble is on bigger projects, it's starting to be
annoying.  1 EXE and 3 DLL's (all MFC), all in one workspace, and the
IDE is slowing down.  Every couple of seconds, I can see the class
view updating, and redrawing the list of class members.  Also the code
editor window is freezing whilst the class view is updating.  It
remembers what you type, and fills it in when the update is complete,
but then it has to update again, and a subequent freeze happens.

So I was wondering if there is a way to turn it off ?  There doesn't
seem to be an option in the options property page, and as I've turned
off Intellisense and Auto-Complete, it's still annoying and a tad on
the slow side.

As there is a lack of option in the VC IDE, is there a nifty registry
hack to disable this feature, and revert back to how VC5 handled the
updates ?

Cheers,

Jim M

Sat, 02 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VC6's New Dynamic Class View Update
In HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DevStudio\6.0\Text Editor add a new DWORD
value named  "DynamicParse" (without the quotes).  It defaults to 1.
Set it to 0 to prevent the IDE from updating the classview when files
change.

The setting is checked whenever you open a workspace in VC6.

Quote:

>One of the new VC++ 6 IDE features is the new dynamic class-view
>update, where it's being updated as-you-type code, instead of updating
>it when the file is saved.

>So I was wondering if there is a way to turn it off ?  There doesn't
>seem to be an option in the options property page, and as I've turned
>off Intellisense and Auto-Complete, it's still annoying and a tad on
>the slow side.

>As there is a lack of option in the VC IDE, is there a nifty registry
>hack to disable this feature, and revert back to how VC5 handled the
>updates ?

Whole Tomato Software
http://www.WholeTomato.com

Sat, 02 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VC6's New Dynamic Class View Update
On Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:25:32 -0700, Sean Echevarria

<Disableing the dynamic class-view update>

Quote:
>In HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DevStudio\6.0\Text Editor add a new DWORD
>value named  "DynamicParse" (without the quotes).  It defaults to 1.
>Set it to 0 to prevent the IDE from updating the classview when files
>change.

>The setting is checked whenever you open a workspace in VC6.

Thanks very much Sean.  I'll give it a go tomorrow.

P.S.  Where did you dig this little gem up from ?

Jimbo

Sun, 03 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. use vc6.0 with clearcase dynamic view pb

2. 'placement new' problems in VC6

3. Dynamic update of view from dialog

4. disappearing class view & disabled insert new class

5. Class View doesn't list all classes

6. New Document Without Updating The View

7. Class View doesn't list all classes

8. Classes that don't show up in Class View

9. New Document Without Updating The View

10. VC6 Class View question

11. VC6 Class View Deadly Slow!

12. vc6: View method to refer to App class member variable