VC6.0 MFCO42D.DLL breaks existing apps
Author Message
 VC6.0 MFCO42D.DLL breaks existing apps

I installed Vstudio 6 and now our existing apps that were built with debug
versions of MFC are all dieing. The error is at load time and says it cant
find an entry point in MFCO42D.dll.

Has anyone else seen this. It seems hard to believe that Id need newly
compiled versions of everything. This dll is picked up from system32 so Its
not like I could put the old versions in the path first, the system32 ones
always get grabbed first.

Thanks,
Adam

Wed, 21 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VC6.0 MFCO42D.DLL breaks existing apps
Microsoft has said repeated times, that debug versions of the libaries may
vary, beacuse of changes in the debug information/symbols contained there
in, in other words, debug versions of libraries are VC++ version dependent .
If you want to debug programs linked to them, you'll have to recompiled
them, so the linker can do it's work correctly.

--
Tomas Restrepo

>I installed Vstudio 6 and now our existing apps that were built with debug
>versions of MFC are all dieing. The error is at load time and says it cant
>find an entry point in MFCO42D.dll.

>Has anyone else seen this. It seems hard to believe that Id need newly
>compiled versions of everything. This dll is picked up from system32 so Its
>not like I could put the old versions in the path first, the system32 ones
>always get grabbed first.

>Thanks,
>Adam

Wed, 21 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VC6.0 MFCO42D.DLL breaks existing apps
I can live with rebuilding to debug but in this case the apps are built with
debug on and released without the pdb files. This, obviously, means we
release non optimized builds but it also means we can debug problems users
report on the same build they were sent (and since they dont have pdb's they
dont have the debug info)

Well now Im in the situation that if a user installs VC6 they cant even run
our app anymore.

-Adam

Quote:
>Microsoft has said repeated times, that debug versions of the libaries may
>vary, beacuse of changes in the debug information/symbols contained there
>in, in other words, debug versions of libraries are VC++ version dependent
.
>If you want to debug programs linked to them, you'll have to recompiled
>them, so the linker can do it's work correctly.

>--
>Tomas Restrepo

>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/3401

>>I installed Vstudio 6 and now our existing apps that were built with debug
>>versions of MFC are all dieing. The error is at load time and says it cant
>>find an entry point in MFCO42D.dll.

>>Has anyone else seen this. It seems hard to believe that Id need newly
>>compiled versions of everything. This dll is picked up from system32 so
Its
>>not like I could put the old versions in the path first, the system32 ones
>>always get grabbed first.

>>Thanks,
>>Adam

Thu, 22 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VC6.0 MFCO42D.DLL breaks existing apps

Quote:

>I installed Vstudio 6 and now our existing apps that were built with debug
>versions of MFC are all dieing. The error is at load time and says it cant
>find an entry point in MFCO42D.dll.

The release versions of the new DLLs amy be backward compatible,
waiting for a beta-testing report to verify that.

Debug versions of 6 are not backward-compatible with 5.  If you want
to debug the code, or even compile a debug version, you gotta
enterprise-build, IME

Thu, 22 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VC6.0 MFCO42D.DLL breaks existing apps

Quote:
>I can live with rebuilding to debug but in this case the apps are built with
>debug on and released without the pdb files. This, obviously, means we
>release non optimized builds but it also means we can debug problems users
>report on the same build they were sent (and since they dont have pdb's they
>dont have the debug info)

>Well now Im in the situation that if a user installs VC6 they cant even run
>our app anymore.

Adam,

I don't believe you can (legally) redistribute the debug DLLs. If you
need to debug your release builds you can change the compiler & linker
settings for your release configuration - they will link to the proper
redistributable DLLs.

Dave
----
there's no need for follow up email copies.
http://www.bj.co.uk

Fri, 23 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Mfc42d.dll Mfco42d.dll and Msvcrtd.dll

2. What are Mfcd42d.dll and Mfco42d.dll ?

3. Vc5 ODBC app breaks after move to Vc6.

4. mfco42d.dll:3198

5. MFCO42D.DLL and invalid page fault

6. The ordinal 3291 could not be located in the dynamic link library MFCO42D.DLL

7. Microsoft's Updated MFC42.DLL Breaks Apps

8. Can't debug a vc6.0 DLL when launched from vc4.0 app

9. Can't debug a vc6.0 DLL when launched from vc4.0 app

10. Help w/ app crashing in MFC shared dll but not w\ static MFC using VC6

11. LNK1136, VC6.0 new MFC app and new DLL

12. Help: Crash when loading MFC 4.2 dll's in VC6 app (Access violation)