simple console app, how to add gui, good books for it mfc vs win32
Author Message
 simple console app, how to add gui, good books for it mfc vs win32

hi for my simple console app i want to provide a simple gui a set of radio
buttons to make a choice, 1 or t text boxes to enter values with ok cancle
and maybe help button

which way is the easiest way to design this and interface this with my
functions/class? and whats a good book for me to read about this

should i think MFC or more win32 for this?

thanks for any help/suggestions

Daniel

Sat, 10 Apr 2004 03:06:29 GMT
 simple console app, how to add gui, good books for it mfc vs win32
If it's a console app then you aren't using win32 GUI elements, and
therefore MFC Visual elements (based off of the win api) will be useless.

Does it need to be a console app?  If its running on a win32 system it would
certainly be easier to code it for use with the WinAPI through MFC.
However, if it must be a console app, you'll want to look into <conio.h> I
believe.

-Dale
PowerEcho, Inc.
http://www.powerecho.com/

Quote:
> hi for my simple console app i want to provide a simple gui a set of radio
> buttons to make a choice, 1 or t text boxes to enter values with ok cancle
> and maybe help button

> which way is the easiest way to design this and interface this with my
> functions/class? and whats a good book for me to read about this

> should i think mfc or more win32 for this?

> thanks for any help/suggestions

> Daniel

Sat, 10 Apr 2004 03:28:53 GMT
 simple console app, how to add gui, good books for it mfc vs win32
Not terribly long ago I would have answered that MFC would be the thing that
you'd want to use.  But I have come to believe in the separation of
computation code and interface code.  Here's the way I recently built what I
think of as a simple console app that was in need of a GUI.  I created a
"library" project and I put all of my computational code in that.  I created
a console app that imports the library and exercised all of the classes in
the library.  The console app was essentially a testing program.  Then I
created an ATL DLL project to provide an IDL interface to the library.  Then
I wrote the GUI in VB with the ATL DLL added as a reference.  The GUI could
have been done with a dialog based MFC project but VB is good for GUIs.
This was a lot easier to do than it sounds.

Dick

Quote:
> hi for my simple console app i want to provide a simple gui a set of radio
> buttons to make a choice, 1 or t text boxes to enter values with ok cancle
> and maybe help button

> which way is the easiest way to design this and interface this with my
> functions/class? and whats a good book for me to read about this

> should i think mfc or more win32 for this?

> thanks for any help/suggestions

> Daniel

Sat, 10 Apr 2004 09:58:41 GMT

1. win32 app vs win32 console app?

2. good book on MFC win32 apps

3. Confused: Win32 App vs Win32 Console

4. Console portion of a Win32 MFC GUI program.

5. porting from win32 app to win32 console app

6. porting from win32 app to win32 console app

7. porting from win32 app to win32 console app

8. Killing a console window created using AllocConsole() in an MFC GUI app

9. MFC GUI to console App conversion

10. help! win32 console App and MFC

11. StdAfx.cpp compiler warnings for a Win32 Console app using MFC

12. Win32 console apps, OLE servers, and MFC classes