Need help writing a Visual Studio 6 plugin
Author Message
 Need help writing a Visual Studio 6 plugin

I'm not even sure if what I want to do is possible, but I'll explain it and
hopefully someone can tell me.  Basically I want a plugin for Visual C++ 6
that processes build output BEFORE it goes to the output window.  In other
words, whenever I start a build, I want all output from the build process to
go through me before it gets to the output window.  That way I can do my own
processing on it and translate it into something else.  I want to use this
for a number of things.  For one, I know that Visual C++ 6 has a number of
problems with pragmas and disabling warnings.  This would give me a
foolproof mechanism for selectively eliminating unwanted warnings (can
anybody say C4786?).  Also, and more importantly, I want to translate all
that template garbage into something more meaningful and have the output
display that rather than the standard stuff it usually displays.

So, does anybody know if a plugin like this is possible?  If so, where do I
need to look to get information on the VS extensibility model and the
interfaces that I need to implement, etc etc.

Thanks,
Zachary Turner

Tue, 02 Dec 2003 19:51:26 GMT
 Need help writing a Visual Studio 6 plugin
plugins are extreamly limited in interaction with VS

as far as i can tell a plugin can know when a build starts and when a build
finishes so  you may want to start there

checkout

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/devprods/vs6/visualc/vcsample/vcsmp...
erstudioaddinsamples.htm

for samples, i recomend the last one Wins

marc

Quote:
> I'm not even sure if what I want to do is possible, but I'll explain it
and
> hopefully someone can tell me.  Basically I want a plugin for Visual C++ 6
> that processes build output BEFORE it goes to the output window.  In other
> words, whenever I start a build, I want all output from the build process
> go through me before it gets to the output window.  That way I can do my
own
> processing on it and translate it into something else.  I want to use this
> for a number of things.  For one, I know that Visual C++ 6 has a number of
> problems with pragmas and disabling warnings.  This would give me a
> foolproof mechanism for selectively eliminating unwanted warnings (can
> anybody say C4786?).  Also, and more importantly, I want to translate all
> that template garbage into something more meaningful and have the output
> display that rather than the standard stuff it usually displays.

> So, does anybody know if a plugin like this is possible?  If so, where do
> need to look to get information on the VS extensibility model and the
> interfaces that I need to implement, etc etc.

> Thanks,
> Zachary Turner

Tue, 02 Dec 2003 20:04:46 GMT
 Need help writing a Visual Studio 6 plugin
Greets,

    Unfortunately, I don't know of an easy way to do this with a normal
Visual Studio add-in, however, at one time I had developed a 'shim' DLL
meant to replace the DLLs that Visual Studio (and CL) use as a front end.
The code can be found here:

http://twistedmatrix.com/users/jh.twistd/cpp/moin.cgi/VisualStudioCom...
im

    Now, the intent of this project was to intercept the intermediate
compilation phases to see what output was generated, toss additional
statistics to the output window and (my favorite) provide a means to replace
the compiler itself with different compiler front-ends that generate COFF
modules.  I originally wanted to have a means to map the Visual C++ compiler
switches to those of other compilers and be able to switch between compilers
on a whim.  The only problem with this approach is that the compiler's DLLs
need to be replaced with the shim DLLs, so they need to be backed up
somewhere.

    The only issue at this point is loading and using the original Visual
C++ DLLs, (which this shim code does) and redirecting its stdout so that you
can process it.  I don't know how this would be done offhand, but I imagine
you could have an executable load the original compiler DLLs, redirect its
stdout, then launch the executable (with arguments) and process the output.
It certainly does sound like a fun project. :)

Regards,

Joe

Quote:
> I'm not even sure if what I want to do is possible, but I'll explain it
and
> hopefully someone can tell me.  Basically I want a plugin for Visual C++ 6
> that processes build output BEFORE it goes to the output window.  In other
> words, whenever I start a build, I want all output from the build process
> go through me before it gets to the output window.  That way I can do my
own
> processing on it and translate it into something else.  I want to use this
> for a number of things.  For one, I know that Visual C++ 6 has a number of
> problems with pragmas and disabling warnings.  This would give me a
> foolproof mechanism for selectively eliminating unwanted warnings (can
> anybody say C4786?).  Also, and more importantly, I want to translate all
> that template garbage into something more meaningful and have the output
> display that rather than the standard stuff it usually displays.

> So, does anybody know if a plugin like this is possible?  If so, where do
> need to look to get information on the VS extensibility model and the
> interfaces that I need to implement, etc etc.

> Thanks,
> Zachary Turner

Tue, 02 Dec 2003 20:19:26 GMT
 Need help writing a Visual Studio 6 plugin
Hmm..  Doesn't Visual Studio ONLY call into CL and just dump the output into
it's output window?  I'm wondering if it would work to just write something
like cl2.exe, that captures the output from cl.exe, translates it, and then
writes it back out to stdout.  You wouldn't have to do any magic with
indirectly.  Anyway, thanks alot for the help, the project might actually be
doable.  :)

Quote:
> [...]

> own
> > processing on it and translate it into something else.  I want to use
this
> > for a number of things.  For one, I know that Visual C++ 6 has a number
of
> > problems with pragmas and disabling warnings.  This would give me a
> > foolproof mechanism for selectively eliminating unwanted warnings (can
> > anybody say C4786?).  Also, and more importantly, I want to translate
all
> > that template garbage into something more meaningful and have the output
> > display that rather than the standard stuff it usually displays.

> > So, does anybody know if a plugin like this is possible?  If so, where
do
> > need to look to get information on the VS extensibility model and the
> > interfaces that I need to implement, etc etc.

Tue, 02 Dec 2003 21:47:34 GMT
 Need help writing a Visual Studio 6 plugin
I doubt this would be possible using the Visual Studio extensibility model.
But take a look at "An STL Error Message Decryptor for Visual C++" in the
July 2001 CUJ, which does exactly what you're looking for --
http://www.cuj.com/current/feature.htm?topic=current.

Automate your software builds with Visual Build
www.kinook.com

Quote:
> I'm not even sure if what I want to do is possible, but I'll explain it
and
> hopefully someone can tell me.  Basically I want a plugin for Visual C++ 6
> that processes build output BEFORE it goes to the output window.  In other
> words, whenever I start a build, I want all output from the build process
> go through me before it gets to the output window.  That way I can do my
own
> processing on it and translate it into something else.  I want to use this
> for a number of things.  For one, I know that Visual C++ 6 has a number of
> problems with pragmas and disabling warnings.  This would give me a
> foolproof mechanism for selectively eliminating unwanted warnings (can
> anybody say C4786?).  Also, and more importantly, I want to translate all
> that template garbage into something more meaningful and have the output
> display that rather than the standard stuff it usually displays.

> So, does anybody know if a plugin like this is possible?  If so, where do
> need to look to get information on the VS extensibility model and the
> interfaces that I need to implement, etc etc.

> Thanks,
> Zachary Turner

Tue, 02 Dec 2003 22:13:47 GMT
 Need help writing a Visual Studio 6 plugin
If that's the case, is it possible to simply modify the CL command line to
append a piping to it to pipe it through the filter?

So the command line is:

CL <IDE generated stuff> | myfilter

That would be short and sweet (therefore it probably won't work..).

Quote:
> [...]

> this
> > > for a number of things.  For one, I know that Visual C++ 6 has a
number
> of
> > > problems with pragmas and disabling warnings.  This would give me a
> > > foolproof mechanism for selectively eliminating unwanted warnings (can
> > > anybody say C4786?).  Also, and more importantly, I want to translate
> all
> > > that template garbage into something more meaningful and have the
output
> > > display that rather than the standard stuff it usually displays.

> > > So, does anybody know if a plugin like this is possible?  If so, where
> do
> > > need to look to get information on the VS extensibility model and the
> > > interfaces that I need to implement, etc etc.

Tue, 02 Dec 2003 22:15:59 GMT
 Need help writing a Visual Studio 6 plugin
Actually I didn't think of that.  That would probably work.  However, I've
never written a program that accepts piped input.  How would I retrieve the
input?  This is probably a very basic question and I feel stupid asking, but
in all my years I've just never done that.  I would want to retrieve each
line as it is written to stdout (i.e. each time std::cout is flushed, for
instance), that way I could capture each item that is being sent to the
output window separately (rather than having to figure out where one line
begins and ends, for instance)

Would this work maybe?

while (!std::cin.eof())
{
    std::stringstream str;
    str << std::cin.rdbuf();

    std::wstring strLine = str.str();

Quote:
}

streams and I/O are definitely my weak point when it comes to the Standard
Library.

Also, how would you debug the filter?  You can't launch it directly, because
the command shell is actually launching it, so how do you set breakpoints
and whatnot?

Thanks for the help.
Zach

Quote:
> [...]

> > compilers
> > > on a whim.  The only problem with this approach is that the compiler's
> > DLLs
> > > need to be replaced with the shim DLLs, so they need to be backed up
> > > somewhere.

> > >     The only issue at this point is loading and using the original
> Visual
> > > C++ DLLs, (which this shim code does) and redirecting its stdout so
that
> > you
> > > can process it.  I don't know how this would be done offhand, but I
> > imagine
> > > you could have an executable load the original compiler DLLs, redirect
> its
> > > stdout, then launch the executable (with arguments) and process the
> > output.
> > > It certainly does sound like a fun project. :)

Wed, 03 Dec 2003 01:01:43 GMT
 Need help writing a Visual Studio 6 plugin
Wow, I don't know whether to be thrilled or disappointed.  That's exactly
what I was trying to do.  Only I wanted to do it :(  I got the idea to write
this thing about 2 months ago.  Probably right around the same time as the
author of the tool got the idea.

Quote:
> I doubt this would be possible using the Visual Studio extensibility
model.
> But take a look at "An STL Error Message Decryptor for Visual C++" in the
> July 2001 CUJ, which does exactly what you're looking for --
> http://www.cuj.com/current/feature.htm?topic=current.

> Automate your software builds with Visual Build
> www.kinook.com

> > I'm not even sure if what I want to do is possible, but I'll explain it
> and
> > hopefully someone can tell me.  Basically I want a plugin for Visual C++
6
> > that processes build output BEFORE it goes to the output window.  In
other
> > words, whenever I start a build, I want all output from the build
process
> > go through me before it gets to the output window.  That way I can do my
> own
> > processing on it and translate it into something else.  I want to use
this
> > for a number of things.  For one, I know that Visual C++ 6 has a number
of
> > problems with pragmas and disabling warnings.  This would give me a
> > foolproof mechanism for selectively eliminating unwanted warnings (can
> > anybody say C4786?).  Also, and more importantly, I want to translate
all
> > that template garbage into something more meaningful and have the output
> > display that rather than the standard stuff it usually displays.

> > So, does anybody know if a plugin like this is possible?  If so, where
do
> > need to look to get information on the VS extensibility model and the
> > interfaces that I need to implement, etc etc.

> > Thanks,
> > Zachary Turner

Wed, 03 Dec 2003 01:12:38 GMT
 Need help writing a Visual Studio 6 plugin
You don't need to use the standard library if you don't want to.

A filter program just reads from stdin and writes to stdout.

however, using the pipe | on the command line will (as you saw from
the perl solution elsewhere in the thread) cause you to lost the
exit code from the compilation.  Oops.

if piping was allowed, you could debug the filter by having it open
some additional files and copy the input data and output data to them.

you could rerun your data (as you debug your filter) from the command line:

myfilter <inpdata.txt >outdata.txt

(Although I don't know offhand how to specify stdin and stdout when
running in the de{*filter*}, to use those captured files)

it does seem you have to write a new cl.exe which calls the old cl.exe under
new name with a new command string with the piping file appended, which
would
indicate that may you can't create the new command string directly from the
IDE.
(Unless you couldn't in V5 and can in V6)

I did like the looks of that tool, so I duplicate the post in this thread,
in case any
of you guys missed it:

But take a look at "An STL Error Message Decryptor for Visual C++" in the
July 2001 CUJ, which does exactly what you're looking for --
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Good Stuff.

Quote:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

> > > replace
> > COFF
> > > compiler
> > > compilers
> > > DLLs

> > Visual
> that
> > > you
> > > imagine
> > its
> > > output.

> > it
Visual
> > C++
> > > 6
In
> > > other
> > > process
> do
> > my
> use
> > > this
> > number
> > > of
> (can
> translate
> > > all
> > output

> where
> > > do
> the

Wed, 03 Dec 2003 02:08:04 GMT
 Need help writing a Visual Studio 6 plugin
Take a look at the way intels compiler works, and boundschecker
orginally both just used a helper app that ran the right compiler
or preprocessor, you can change which one gets called in the registry.

use gcc inside VC initially i used a makefile, then i switched over
to a project file with custom build steps, they only thing
i couldnt do neatly was the link step.

for munging output i just redirect to a file then use the post build step
to execute a script on the outputted file..

Quote:
> [...]

> this
> > > for a number of things.  For one, I know that Visual C++ 6 has a
number
> of
> > > problems with pragmas and disabling warnings.  This would give me a
> > > foolproof mechanism for selectively eliminating unwanted warnings (can
> > > anybody say C4786?).  Also, and more importantly, I want to translate
> all
> > > that template garbage into something more meaningful and have the
output
> > > display that rather than the standard stuff it usually displays.

> > > So, does anybody know if a plugin like this is possible?  If so, where
> do
> > > need to look to get information on the VS extensibility model and the
> > > interfaces that I need to implement, etc etc.

Mon, 15 Dec 2003 01:20:17 GMT

1. Need help writing a Visual Studio 6 plugin

2. visual studio plugin, help NEEDED on general info!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. e: *HELP* After install Visual studio .Net, the Visual Studio Enterprise 6.0 stops working

4. *HELP* After install Visual studio .Net, the Visual Studio Enterprise 6.0 stops working

5. *HELP* After install Visual studio .Net, the Visual Studio Enterprise 6.0 stops working

6. Visual Studio desktop layout (Visual Studio/Visual C++ 6)

7. need help using ipworks with visual studio for ldap services

8. Visual Studio 6 back to Visual Studio 5

9. Want to write into memory adress under Visual C++ - Need help very urgent

10. Writing a Visual Studio Add-in in C#

11. Visual Studio 7 manifests consistent error while writing ATL attribute code

12. IS microsoft visual studio written in MFC??