Incremental Build Problem
Author Message
 Incremental Build Problem

Hi Ya'll,
Recently i upgraded my system to Windows2000 and reinstalled VC++6. I have
come across a very annoying problem with builds. If i make any change to
header file and press F7, IDE thinks that no changes have been made to any
files. SO it does not compile the corresponding files. But if i make any
change to CPP files, IDE is happy and recompiles the modified files. Has
anybody come across such problem or its just me?

Thankx!
Naveen

Sat, 13 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Incremental Build Problem

Quote:

>Hi Ya'll,
>Recently i upgraded my system to Windows2000 and reinstalled VC++6. I have
>come across a very annoying problem with builds. If i make any change to
>header file and press F7, IDE thinks that no changes have been made to any
>files. SO it does not compile the corresponding files. But if i make any
>change to CPP files, IDE is happy and recompiles the modified files. Has
>anybody come across such problem or its just me?

What is the name of the header file you are changing? Make sure it doesn't
appear in sysincl.dat. Also, whenever you significantly change a VC++
installation, such as applying a service pack or reinstalling, I think it's
a good idea to do a clean followed by a rebuild.

--
Doug Harrison

Visual C++ MVP

Sat, 13 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Incremental Build Problem
Hi Doug,
I did the clean and RebuidAll for the entire project. And this file is not
in sysincl.dat. This project used to work fine as long as i was on NT 4.
Seems Win2K did some trick. May be i should try reinstalling VS6 cause
intelli(non)sense is also dead.
Or do you think there is som eother problem.

Naveen

Quote:

> >Hi Ya'll,
> >Recently i upgraded my system to Windows2000 and reinstalled VC++6. I
have
> >come across a very annoying problem with builds. If i make any change to
> >header file and press F7, IDE thinks that no changes have been made to
any
> >files. SO it does not compile the corresponding files. But if i make any
> >change to CPP files, IDE is happy and recompiles the modified files. Has
> >anybody come across such problem or its just me?

> What is the name of the header file you are changing? Make sure it doesn't
> appear in sysincl.dat. Also, whenever you significantly change a VC++
> installation, such as applying a service pack or reinstalling, I think
it's
> a good idea to do a clean followed by a rebuild.

> --
> Doug Harrison

> Visual C++ MVP

Sun, 14 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Incremental Build Problem

Quote:

>Hi Doug,
>I did the clean and RebuidAll for the entire project. And this file is not
>in sysincl.dat. This project used to work fine as long as i was on NT 4.
>Seems Win2K did some trick. May be i should try reinstalling VS6 cause
>intelli(non)sense is also dead.
>Or do you think there is som eother problem.

Oh well, I was hoping it was something simple! Have you verified that your
modified header file's timestamp is later than your dependent object file
timestamps? Also, it's possible for the INCLUDE search path order to mess
things up. For example, if you have:

Folder X
  File a.h
Folder Y
  File a.h

and your INCLUDE order is X, Y, and you mean to #include Y/a.h with:

 #include <a.h>

you'll get X/a.h instead. Modifying Y/a.h won't cause recompilation, because
you're dependent on X/a.h. Could this be it? (Grasping at straws, now. :)

--
Doug Harrison

Visual C++ MVP

Mon, 15 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. DEBUG_NEW compiler error during incremental build

2. Debug incremental build?

3. Incremental Build producing bad exe.

4. precompiled headers, incremental builds, edit & continue, build dependencies etc

5. problems with project build order using Batch Build

6. Incremental linker bug in VC++6/SP5 and VC++.NET

7. Incremental linking limit

8. Incremental seek

9. Re. Re: Incremental Loading ( by ld )

10. Incremental Loading ( by ld )

11. Incremental compilation

12. incremental linking: LNK1104 Error