Rebasing dll's
Author Message
 Rebasing dll's

Hi,
I rebase some of my dll's using /base on the linker input line. I specify
the base address and I also have to specify a maximum size. Does it matter
if I put a number that is quite a bit larger than the real size as my
maximum figure? I want to allow room for growth and to use the same base
addresses in debug and release modes. So, are there any bad effects of
specifying a maximum that is bigger than necessary?
Thanks
Bruce

Sun, 02 Mar 2003 03:51:14 GMT
 Rebasing dll's

You waste a bit of address space. That's unlikely to be a problem, since
there's a lot of it (2GBytes). Note that wasting address space does NOT
mean wasting memory.

However if you have 20 DLLs and you specify a size of 100MBytes for
each one then you have effectively chopped up the address space into
20 or so pieces, each 100MBytes or smaller (since 20 * 100MBytes
equals the 2GByte of address space we have available to user
programs.) That then means that you can't allocate a block of memory
larger than 100MBytes, you can't memory map a file larger than
100MBytes, etc.

As long as you avoid such extremes, you should be okay.

Quote:

--
.Bruce Dawson, Humongous Entertainment.
http://www.humongous.com/

Sun, 02 Mar 2003 04:28:42 GMT

1. Debugger can't load symbols after rebase

2. REBASE: Corrupt DLLs Message

3. Creating dll's referencing legacy dll's

4. point d'entrée fnovr501 d'une DLL introuvable dans C:\...\ovr501.dll

5. Mixing MFC Extension DLL's with Regular DLL's

6. rebase creating bad time stamps in dbg file header

7. REBASE.EXE utility

8. REBASE.EXE

9. importing a c++ class from a dll without linking with the dll's lib file

10. __argv fails in dll when using multi-threaded msvcrt dll's

11. How do you merge multiple DLL's into one DLL

12. about dll function's dll