Profiler
Author Message
 Profiler

I cannot get the profiler to work.  I do have VC6 professional.  I have
executed the steps in the MSDN documentation perfectly and still no luck.
To sum it up I have in the link setting checked the Enable Profiling box and
in the c++ debug info settings to Line Number Only and I the proile option
in the build menu is still inactive.  What am I doing wrong?

David Stanek

Mon, 02 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Profiler
Yeah my program in console also. I hope it is possible.

David Stanek

Quote:

>I'm having the same kind of problems too.

>Does anyone know if it can be used for non-MFC applications (e.g. console)?
>I'm trying to profile code for 'gzip.exe' to determine the minimum
>functionality needed to implement the 'unzip' side on a separate target.
>When I start up the profiler, it doesn't do anything, a progress bar shows
>up but after that no error messages or anything. The application in
question
>isn't executed because the input file isn't decompressed.

>Russell

>>I cannot get the profiler to work.  I do have VC6 professional.  I have
>>executed the steps in the MSDN documentation perfectly and still no luck.

Mon, 02 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Profiler
I am glad I am no alone, I posted a message weeks ago to the newsgroups and
have had no response, I am trying to profile an MFC app.

I have wasted a lot of time on this so it maybe more cost effective for our
company to buy Nu-megas true time.

I also had problems with profiling in VC5 although at least then the profile
command was enabled although it has worked and definately worked with
console applications.

Quote:

>I cannot get the profiler to work.  I do have VC6 professional.  I have
>executed the steps in the MSDN documentation perfectly and still no luck.
>To sum it up I have in the link setting checked the Enable Profiling box
and
>in the c++ debug info settings to Line Number Only and I the proile option
>in the build menu is still inactive.  What am I doing wrong?

>David Stanek

Tue, 03 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Profiler
On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:46:31 -0500, "David Stanek"

Quote:

>I cannot get the profiler to work.  I do have VC6 professional.  I have
>executed the steps in the MSDN documentation perfectly and still no luck.
>To sum it up I have in the link setting checked the Enable Profiling box and
>in the c++ debug info settings to Line Number Only and I the proile option
>in the build menu is still inactive.  What am I doing wrong?

>David Stanek

Had the similar problem with VC5 under Win95. It works under NT
though. It acted like it couldn't find the path to the executable
files of the profiler.  I bumped the environment size to 32K but no
help.

Moe

Tue, 03 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Profiler
=>On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:46:31 -0500, "David Stanek"
=>
=>>I cannot get the profiler to work.  I do have VC6 professional.  I have
=>>executed the steps in the MSDN documentation perfectly and still no luck.
=>>To sum it up I have in the link setting checked the Enable Profiling box and
=>>in the c++ debug info settings to Line Number Only and I the proile option
=>>in the build menu is still inactive.  What am I doing wrong?
=>>

I don't do a lot of profiling, but in VC5 I never could get it to work
from the IDE.  So I just use DOS:

REM profile.bat
REM profile screen saver
.\..\..\bin\prep /ft Brewster.scr
.\..\..\bin\profile Brewster.scr
.\..\..\bin\prep /m Brewster
.\..\..\bin\plist >ft-prof.txt Brewster

- Gerry
http://bindweed.com

Wed, 04 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Profiler
Check this maybe it will help !
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q167/8/04.asp?FR=
Quote:

> I cannot get the profiler to work.  I do have VC6 professional.  I have
> executed the steps in the MSDN documentation perfectly and still no luck.
> To sum it up I have in the link setting checked the Enable Profiling box and
> in the c++ debug info settings to Line Number Only and I the proile option
> in the build menu is still inactive.  What am I doing wrong?

> David Stanek

Sat, 07 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Profiler

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Profiler

Microsoft Visual C++, 32-bit Editions, versions 5.0, 6.0

SYMPTOMS
The Source Profiler, provided with Microsoft Visual C++, versions 5.0 and 6.0, may
not execute from the Developer Studio. When attempting to profile, Developer
Studio switches to the Profiler output window but the profiler tools are not
executed and no output is produced.

CAUSE
This problem occurs because Developer Studio fails to create the correct
environment paths for the spawned process and cannot find the profiler tools using
the current path variables.

RESOLUTION
To work around this problem:

For Visual C++, version 5.0 on Windows 95, add the following directories to the
PATH statement in your Autoexec.bat file:

   PATH=[Developer Studio Path]\SharedIDE\Bin; [Developer Studio
   Path]\VC\Bin

For Visual C++, version 6.0 on Windows 95, add the following directories to the
PATH statement in your Autoexec.bat file:

   PATH=[Visual Studio Path]\Common\MSDev98\Bin;[Visual Studio Path]\
   VC98\Bin

On Windows NT, execute the System applet in Control Panel and select the
Environment tab. Add the previous directories to the system's PATH environment
variable, not the individual user's PATH variable.
Finally, verify that these directories are also referenced in the IDE by following
these steps:

On the Tools menu, click Options.

On the Options dialog box, click the Directories tab.

Select Executable Files from the Show Directories For list.

Look for the appropriate directories in the Directories list.

If necessary, add the full path to the Bin directories of Developer Studio and
Visual C++ (as noted previously). To add to the Directories list, click on an
blank line and type.

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a bug in the Microsoft products listed at the
beginning of this article.

Sat, 07 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Profiler & Leak detector

2. Profiler

3. Profiler

4. Where's my profiler??

5. Profiler?

6. Compuware Profiler

7. Is there a profiler comes with VC7??

8. q: profiler for webform app ?

9. VS.NET Profiler

10. C profiler at micrsosecond level timing

11. C source analyser/profiler

12. Binary Profiler