MSVC++ 6 & Java
Author Message
 MSVC++ 6 & Java

This seems like a stupid question, but I can't find the answer in the help.
VC 5 recognized java files and therefore, did syntax coloring.  VC 6 does
not recognize the java extension.  Of course, Visual J++ does, but it does
not recognize the cpp extension.  Surely, I am not expected to use two
different editors!  What am I missing here?

thanks in advance,

Jim

Tue, 26 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 MSVC++ 6 & Java
Yes, in fact, you are supposed to use 2 different editors (new in visual
studio 6.0, compared to 5.0).  Sucks, huh?
Quote:

>This seems like a stupid question, but I can't find the answer in the help.
>VC 5 recognized java files and therefore, did syntax coloring.  VC 6 does
>not recognize the java extension.  Of course, Visual J++ does, but it does
>not recognize the cpp extension.  Surely, I am not expected to use two
>different editors!  What am I missing here?

>thanks in advance,

>Jim

Tue, 26 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 MSVC++ 6 & Java
That is the most stupid thing I have ever heard! I really hope there is a
way around this or I am may go back to good old EMACS!!

Quote:

>Yes, in fact, you are supposed to use 2 different editors (new in visual
>studio 6.0, compared to 5.0).  Sucks, huh?

>>This seems like a stupid question, but I can't find the answer in the
help.
>>VC 5 recognized java files and therefore, did syntax coloring.  VC 6 does
>>not recognize the java extension.  Of course, Visual J++ does, but it does
>>not recognize the cpp extension.  Surely, I am not expected to use two
>>different editors!  What am I missing here?

>>thanks in advance,

>>Jim

Tue, 26 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 MSVC++ 6 & Java
Hi all;

Well I haven't found a way around it.     I wonder how much research MS did
on customer needs before pulling this boner.    Honestly you would think
that they would try to expand VS capabilities to make the tools as important
to hteir customers as possible.

If MS doesn't want to support syntax highlighting for other languages in VC
then maybe that should open up the editor so some one else could.
Personally I'd like to se support for Java, Python, NT shell, Make, BASIC
(not VB) and maybe even Perl and TCL.

Dave

Quote:

>That is the most stupid thing I have ever heard! I really hope there is a
>way around this or I am may go back to good old EMACS!!

>>Yes, in fact, you are supposed to use 2 different editors (new in visual
>>studio 6.0, compared to 5.0).  Sucks, huh?

>>>This seems like a stupid question, but I can't find the answer in the
>help.
>>>VC 5 recognized java files and therefore, did syntax coloring.  VC 6 does
>>>not recognize the java extension.  Of course, Visual J++ does, but it
does
>>>not recognize the cpp extension.  Surely, I am not expected to use two
>>>different editors!  What am I missing here?

>>>thanks in advance,

>>>Jim

Tue, 26 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 MSVC++ 6 & Java
This has caused great confusion at our site. VC++ 5.0 allowed workspaces
to contain both VJ++ and VC++ projects. Visual Studio 6.0 seems to
completely separate them. Oddly enough, Microsoft sales seems to think
that they are still integrated, and I have seen interviews with members of
the Visual Studio team claiming that Visual Studio 6.0 has greater integration
than previous versions. Hmmm...

We're sticking with VC++ 5.0 for our projects that mix Java and C++. If
anybody has a better solution, let me know.

BTW - the error messages from VC++ 6.0 and VJ++ 6.0 further
complicate things. If you try to insert a VJ++ 6.0 project into VC++ 6.0
(or vice versa) it says that the project was "created by a previous version
of Visual Studio", thus leaving you with the (inaccurate) impression that you
have made an error, but that mixed mode development is supported. Sigh.

Quote:

--
.Bruce Dawson, Cavedog Entertainment.
Makers of Total Annihilation - http://www.cavedog.com

Tue, 26 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 MSVC++ 6 & Java
Yeah, and our company (or the programmers working therein) were really
enthused about the idea that you could switch visual studio to "sdi" format,
meaning that the child editor windows weren't clipped withing the visual
studio frame (like symantec's visual cafe), which is important as a
programmer wants to maximize utilization of screen space.  Turns out that
all the apps in the visual "studio" 6.0 env EXCEPT for vc++ allow this.
What a pile of crap.  And to top it off, the help applet is now literally an
applet - and it's extern from the studio, which means, because they didn't
implement sdi, that a programmer can't easily view a help topic while
coding.  Either one window is going to possess the screen or the other.

In support of the new vc++, I have to mention that the code helper is really
an improvement.  Saves me trips to the help docs, although realistically,
who's gonna scroll through the entire list of global functions (::funk) to
find the one they're looking for?  :)

Keith Craigie

Quote:

>This has caused great confusion at our site. VC++ 5.0 allowed workspaces
>to contain both VJ++ and VC++ projects. Visual Studio 6.0 seems to
>completely separate them. Oddly enough, Microsoft sales seems to think
>that they are still integrated, and I have seen interviews with members of
>the Visual Studio team claiming that Visual Studio 6.0 has greater
integration
>than previous versions. Hmmm...

>We're sticking with VC++ 5.0 for our projects that mix Java and C++. If
>anybody has a better solution, let me know.

>BTW - the error messages from VC++ 6.0 and VJ++ 6.0 further
>complicate things. If you try to insert a VJ++ 6.0 project into VC++ 6.0
>(or vice versa) it says that the project was "created by a previous version
>of Visual Studio", thus leaving you with the (inaccurate) impression that
you
>have made an error, but that mixed mode development is supported. Sigh.

>> This seems like a stupid question, but I can't find the answer in the
help.
>> VC 5 recognized java files and therefore, did syntax coloring.  VC 6 does
>> not recognize the java extension.  Of course, Visual J++ does, but it
does
>> not recognize the cpp extension.  Surely, I am not expected to use two
>> different editors!  What am I missing here?

>> thanks in advance,

>> Jim

>--
>.Bruce Dawson, Cavedog Entertainment.
>Makers of Total Annihilation - http://www.cavedog.com

Tue, 26 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 MSVC++ 6 & Java

Quote:

>Yeah, and our company (or the programmers working therein) were really
>enthused about the idea that you could switch visual studio to "sdi"
format,
>meaning that the child editor windows weren't clipped withing the visual
>studio frame (like symantec's visual cafe), which is important as a
>programmer wants to maximize utilization of screen space.  Turns out that
>all the apps in the visual "studio" 6.0 env EXCEPT for vc++ allow this.
>What a pile of crap.  And to top it off, the help applet is now literally
an
>applet - and it's extern from the studio, which means, because they didn't
>implement sdi, that a programmer can't easily view a help topic while
>coding.  Either one window is going to possess the screen or the other.

>In support of the new vc++, I have to mention that the code helper is
really
>an improvement.  Saves me trips to the help docs, although realistically,
>who's gonna scroll through the entire list of global functions (::funk) to
>find the one they're looking for?  :)

I didn't mean to sound completely negative, I do believe overall that the
6.0 version of VC has some nice features.    The problem as I see it is that
MS apparrently has removed some rather nice features at the same time.    I
would much prefer a single editor that can handle syntax highlighting for a
number of differrent languages.     It should at least handle the most
common files types for a MS environment.     It would be very handy if VC
could work in a constructive manner with suns Java development system.

Dave

>Keith Craigie

>>This has caused great confusion at our site. VC++ 5.0 allowed workspaces
>>to contain both VJ++ and VC++ projects. Visual Studio 6.0 seems to
>>completely separate them. Oddly enough, Microsoft sales seems to think
>>that they are still integrated, and I have seen interviews with members of
>>the Visual Studio team claiming that Visual Studio 6.0 has greater
>integration
>>than previous versions. Hmmm...

>>We're sticking with VC++ 5.0 for our projects that mix Java and C++. If
>>anybody has a better solution, let me know.

>>BTW - the error messages from VC++ 6.0 and VJ++ 6.0 further
>>complicate things. If you try to insert a VJ++ 6.0 project into VC++ 6.0
>>(or vice versa) it says that the project was "created by a previous
version
>>of Visual Studio", thus leaving you with the (inaccurate) impression that
>you
>>have made an error, but that mixed mode development is supported. Sigh.

>>> This seems like a stupid question, but I can't find the answer in the
>help.
>>> VC 5 recognized java files and therefore, did syntax coloring.  VC 6
does
>>> not recognize the java extension.  Of course, Visual J++ does, but it
>does
>>> not recognize the cpp extension.  Surely, I am not expected to use two
>>> different editors!  What am I missing here?

>>> thanks in advance,

>>> Jim

>>--
>>.Bruce Dawson, Cavedog Entertainment.
>>Makers of Total Annihilation - http://www.cavedog.com

Wed, 27 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Is there a widget like watch window in MSVC++ Debugger or properties in Java MS IDE

2. Is there a widget like watch window in MSVC++ Debugger or properties in Java MS IDE

3. Java & C# interoperability

4. Java & C sockets

5. INTERFACING JAVA & C: RESOURCES

6. Call for Speakers/ XML & Java Development

7. Java & .NET interop

8. JAVA SCRIPT & C++ SAMPLES AND COMMANDS

9. New magazine for C/C++ & Java developers

10. java jni & C++

11. CSocket & Socket (Java)

12. Java & VC++