what's the best way to ...
Author Message
 what's the best way to ...

Quote:

>Hi NG,
>What I want to
>do, is make it accessible for the users to use on the
>website.  Something like CGI.  I'm not familiar with CGI,
>I just heard that you can use this type of programming for
>online database programs. My questions is this...How do I
>do this?  What type of programming can I use?  Do I have
>to use CGI? I also heard of maybe perlscripting?  How can

This is a huge topic, and it sounds like you need to do some serious
research.

CGI = Common Gateway Interface. It's the oldest way to run a program
on a web server and dynamically generate a page to send back to the
client. The program can be written in any language that you can get to
run on the server. C and C++ are used, and Perl is very widely used,
especially (but not exclusively) on Unix machines.

You might be able to redo your system in asp or php pages. Both of
these are methods of combining executable code with HTML code to
dynamically generate pages. ASP is proprietary to Microsoft, and the
executable code is written in VBScript or JavaScript. PHP is an open
source product (www.php.net), and its syntax resembles Perl code.

Another method, if you're using an IIS web server, would be ISAPI (IIS
Application Programming Interface). That's a method of writing a DLL
that is called by the web server. This kind of thing can run faster
than CGI, but if it's not done right, can crash your web server.

Any of these options can do the job for you, and you might wind up
with a combination of them. An in-depth analysis of your needs is
beyond the scope of this group. As I said at the beginning, you need
to do some serious research.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Wed, 30 Jun 2004 01:48:08 GMT
 what's the best way to ...
Hi Tim,
 Thank you for the quick reply! Does the web site HAVE to
be redone using ASP or php?  Our website is pretty heavy,
and has alot to it. In general...how is CGI used? Is it
script that can be added to HTML, or is it another
language all together? Thanks for your time!
Angel

>Tim <wrote>.......
>CGI = Common Gateway Interface. It's the oldest way to
run a program
>on a web server and dynamically generate a page to send
back to the
>client. The program can be written in any language that
you can get to
>run on the server. C and C++ are used, and Perl is very
widely used,
>especially (but not exclusively) on Unix machines.

>You might be able to redo your system in asp or php
pages. Both of
>these are methods of combining executable code with HTML
code to
>dynamically generate pages. ASP is proprietary to
Microsoft, and the
>executable code is written in VBScript or JavaScript. PHP
is an open
>source product (www.php.net), and its syntax resembles
Perl code.

>Another method, if you're using an IIS web server, would
be ISAPI (IIS
>Application Programming Interface). That's a method of
writing a DLL
>that is called by the web server. This kind of thing can
run faster
>than CGI, but if it's not done right, can crash your web
server.

>Any of these options can do the job for you, and you
might wind up
>with a combination of them. An in-depth analysis of your
needs is
>beyond the scope of this group. As I said at the
beginning, you need
>to do some serious research.

>--
>Tim Slattery
>MS MVP(DTS)

>.

Wed, 30 Jun 2004 02:10:56 GMT
 what's the best way to ...

Quote:

>Hi Tim,
> Thank you for the quick reply! Does the web site HAVE to
>be redone using ASP or php?  Our website is pretty heavy,
>and has alot to it. In general...how is CGI used? Is it
>script that can be added to HTML, or is it another
>language all together? Thanks for your time!

CGI is the interface that allows you to execute a program on your
server in response to a GET or POST request (instead of simply
fetching and sending a previously written page). The program would
dynamically create a page to be sent back. That could be a result of
database accesses, reading files, generating random numbers, or
anything else a program is capable of. The program can be written in
any language that will execute on your server, the CGI specification
makes no restrictions there.

ASP and PHP are just other ways to run server-side processing and
dynamically generate pages. You can use whatever method you like.

Do a Google search for CGI. You'll find lots of reading material.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Wed, 30 Jun 2004 05:09:45 GMT
 what's the best way to ...
I was looking through searches on cgi and perl, and I
don't think that I want to do either because they look too
complicated for my beginner's level experience.  I
received a few posts back suggesting that I do ASP or
ISAPI.  I know html fairly well, so from what I heard, ASP
doesn't sound too foreign.  I'm not quite sure what ISAPI
is, but I hear you use it directly in your C++ code.
 My C++ program, I suppose, would be a gui program.
Basically, it is a price configurator.  My company
manufactures pumps.  This program lets the user choose
different parts and materials for these pumps and a price
and a weight (for shipping reasons) comes up <from the
database>.  The user can input data into an input screen
selecting the speed they need, or size of the pump's
discpac or how many gallons/minute they're going to need
to pump.  From this information, the program pulls up the
top ten recommended pumps.  The user then selects the
pump, and a simple (chart-like) drawing comes up.  From
there, the user can then click on the pricing worksheet if
he desires.
  When I make CD's for this program, I create them with
Installshield.  I use about 15 .dll files and a couple
of .ocx files.  Like I mentioned before, I use 2 Access
databases and another .db file.
 Please, if you have any example code using Isapi, please
email me. Please let me know if you would recommend ASP or
Isapi.  oh, by the way if you would like to see the
program that I'm talking about, check out our website:
  www.discflo.com
Click on the "Download Autoselect" button.  Click on the
distributors link.  the usr name is "distribute" and
password is "winners".  (without the quotes of course).
Thank You.
Angel
Quote:

Sun, 04 Jul 2004 00:42:36 GMT
 what's the best way to ...

Quote:

>I was looking through searches on cgi and perl, and I
>don't think that I want to do either because they look too
>complicated for my beginner's level experience.  I
>received a few posts back suggesting that I do ASP or
>ISAPI.  I know html fairly well, so from what I heard, ASP
>doesn't sound too foreign.  I'm not quite sure what ISAPI
>is, but I hear you use it directly in your C++ code.

It's a DLL written usually (I guess) in C++. The DLL is loaded by the
IIS server, and your HTML can then call the functions in the DLL just
as it would call CGI programs. Because the DLL is already loaded, the
functions will run faster than equivalent CGI programs, but the server
is also more  vulnerable to buggy code in the DLL than it would be to
similar bugs in a CGI program.

Quote:
> My C++ program, I suppose, would be a gui program.

No, not really. Your CGI or ISAPI program might select or generate an
image to be sent to the user. A CGI or ISAPI program cannot draw
directory on the users screen, as your current program does. The user
will see the output through his browser, so everything has to fit in
that model. That means a lot of HTML, and GIFs, JPEGs, or PNGs where
you need images.

Quote:
>Basically, it is a price configurator.  My company
>manufactures pumps. This program lets the user choose
>different parts and materials for these pumps and a price
>and a weight (for shipping reasons) comes up <from the
>database>.  The user can input data into an input screen
>selecting the speed they need, or size of the pump's
>discpac or how many gallons/minute they're going to need
>to pump.  From this information, the program pulls up the
>top ten recommended pumps.  The user then selects the
>pump, and a simple (chart-like) drawing comes up.  From
>there, the user can then click on the pricing worksheet if
>he desires.

Sounds to me that you need something - either CGI or ISAPI - that
generates an image to send back to the user.

You need to get with somebody who has experience in designing and
coding web applications.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Sun, 04 Jul 2004 01:34:39 GMT

1. Help with ideas, best ways etc...

2. Good ways to obfuscate/mangle strings?

3. are there better ways to read config file?

4. Any good ways to trace memory leaks?

5. Ways to obtain Device Handler if I'm not an administrator

6. Data access 'BEST' practice

7. Best 'Keyboard Stroke' capture Function

8. The 'Best' Language

9. A good 'C' Book

10. A good translation of 'to marshal', 'marshal', 'marshalling' to German ?

11. Best Way To Represent Flags That Can Be OR'd Together

12. How good is .NET's support for Asynchronous programming