DevStudio Macro Terminator: msdev.exe - Application Error 
Author Message
 DevStudio Macro Terminator: msdev.exe - Application Error

Hi,

Recently I've had a problem with starting VC6 after a reboot. VC6
crashes with the error:

DevStudio Macro Terminator: msdev.exe - Application Error
The instruction at 0x5f4d225e referenced memory at 0x00005f49. The
memory could not be written.

To get back into my project I have to remove the .ncb file since it has
become corrupt. One temporary solution was to reinstall SP3, but after a
week the problem was back. Looking through MSDEV I've found a related
bug, but Microsoft claims that they fixed the bug with SP3.

Need I say that my co-workers don't have this problem. It's not a big
deal since I only reboot my computer once a week, but it's definitely
annoying.

Anyone with a suggestion, apart from reinstalling VC6? (Btw, I use NT4
SP5)

/Jonas U



Fri, 22 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 DevStudio Macro Terminator: msdev.exe - Application Error
When shutting down be certain that MSDev has completely exited.
This can take a long time - twenty or thirty seconds. Although the
MSDev window closes almost instantly, MSDev does some quiet
bookkeeping afterwards that takes a long time. I use TaskManager
to verify that it has exited.

If you shutdown before MSDev finishes exiting, it may crash on exit
and you may lose some settings. Perhaps that is your problem.

Quote:

> Hi,

> Recently I've had a problem with starting VC6 after a reboot. VC6
> crashes with the error:

> DevStudio Macro Terminator: msdev.exe - Application Error
> The instruction at 0x5f4d225e referenced memory at 0x00005f49. The
> memory could not be written.

> To get back into my project I have to remove the .ncb file since it has
> become corrupt. One temporary solution was to reinstall SP3, but after a
> week the problem was back. Looking through MSDEV I've found a related
> bug, but Microsoft claims that they fixed the bug with SP3.

> Need I say that my co-workers don't have this problem. It's not a big
> deal since I only reboot my computer once a week, but it's definitely
> annoying.

> Anyone with a suggestion, apart from reinstalling VC6? (Btw, I use NT4
> SP5)

> /Jonas U

--
.Bruce Dawson, Cavedog Entertainment.
Makers of Total Annihilation - http://www.cavedog.com


Sat, 23 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 DevStudio Macro Terminator: msdev.exe - Application Error

Quote:

> When shutting down be certain that MSDev has completely exited.
> This can take a long time - twenty or thirty seconds. Although the
> MSDev window closes almost instantly, MSDev does some quiet
> bookkeeping afterwards that takes a long time. I use TaskManager
> to verify that it has exited.

> If you shutdown before MSDev finishes exiting, it may crash on exit
> and you may lose some settings. Perhaps that is your problem.

Thanks for your reply,

I waited for MSDEV to terminate before rebooting but the problem
remained and reinstalling SP3 didn't help either. I have also removed
all personal VB Macros. At least one co-worker here has also got the
same problem, but he couldn't reproduce it by rebooting.

VC6 just isn't designed to be run for more than one day without restart.

/Jonas U



Sun, 24 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 DevStudio Macro Terminator: msdev.exe - Application Error

Quote:

>VC6 just isn't designed to be run for more than one day without restart.

I almost always leave my system running overnight and quite often I'll leave
our comprehensive DevStudio project open for several days.  I don't know how
big your project is, my DSW is 90 KB and the NCB is 14MB.  I AM only running
SP2 though, so that might have some bearing on the issue...

Bryan Donaldson
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it...



Sun, 24 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 DevStudio Macro Terminator: msdev.exe - Application Error

Quote:


> >VC6 just isn't designed to be run for more than one day without restart.

> I almost always leave my system running overnight and quite often I'll leave
> our comprehensive DevStudio project open for several days.  I don't know how
> big your project is, my DSW is 90 KB and the NCB is 14MB.  I AM only running
> SP2 though, so that might have some bearing on the issue...

OK, your project is bigger so it does not have something to do with how
big the Workspace and .ncb file are or how long VC6 has been run. I said
so because when I just want to try to reproduce the problem, it
disappears. But when I have run VC6 for a couple of days it comes back.

Funny, Microsoft claims that they fixed a "Macro Terminator" bug in SP2.
Maybe it was a Tiger-fix, which now appears in another shape.

/Jonas U



Mon, 25 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. MSDEV.EXE - Application Error

2. msdev.exe application error on startup

3. MSDEV.EXE - Application Error - more information

4. MSDEV.EXE - Application Error

5. MSDEV.exe Application error.

6. MSDEV.EXE - Application Error on startup

7. "MSDEV.EXE Application Error"

8. MSDEV.exe Application error.

9. application runs outside the debugger, but cause the msdev.exe crashes when press F5 in IDE

10. application runs outside the debugger, but cause the msdev.exe crashes when press F5 in IDE

11. Error msg "MSDEV.EXE - No Disk"

12. msdev.exe - error in program

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software