* Compiling without Executing or Creating EXE
Author Message
 * Compiling without Executing or Creating EXE

I know that Control-F5 will Execute the program with a full compile.  Is
there any way I can do a FULL COMPILE without Executing the program in VB6?
I know you can do a Compile to Exe to do a full compile.  But the time it
takes to generate the EXE file takes too long.  Is there a quick Full
Compile like Control-F5 does, but does not execute the program after
compilation is finished?

Thanks.

Tue, 25 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 * Compiling without Executing or Creating EXE
Go to the Tools menu, select Options. Click the Environment tab and under
"When a program starts" choose "Prompt to save changes."
Hit CTRL-F5. After compile at the "Save changes?" prompt click Cancel.

Quote:
> I know that Control-F5 will Execute the program with a full compile.  Is
> there any way I can do a FULL COMPILE without Executing the program in
VB6?
> I know you can do a Compile to Exe to do a full compile.  But the time it
> takes to generate the EXE file takes too long.  Is there a quick Full
> Compile like Control-F5 does, but does not execute the program after
> compilation is finished?

> Thanks.

Wed, 26 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 * Compiling without Executing or Creating EXE
            If you set the project options to p-code, it should compile just
as fast as shift-F5 without having to run the program.

Wed, 26 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 * Compiling without Executing or Creating EXE
Shawn,

I use this technique: whatever you have as the main entry point of your
project (Sub Main or a Form_Load or Form_Initialize), just add
"Debug.Assert 0" as the very first line. Then press Ctrl+F5. Once the
compile ends and the execution begins, this line will cause the program to
stop, at which time (since you haven't done anything yet), you can safely
press Stop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please post/reply to the newsgroup(s) so
that everyone can benefit from the discussion.

Regards,

Klaus H. Probst, MCP

       ICQ: 22454937
      The VB Box: http://members.xoom.com/kprobst/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
> I know that Control-F5 will Execute the program with a full compile.  Is
> there any way I can do a FULL COMPILE without Executing the program in
VB6?
> I know you can do a Compile to Exe to do a full compile.  But the time
it
> takes to generate the EXE file takes too long.  Is there a quick Full
> Compile like Control-F5 does, but does not execute the program after
> compilation is finished?

> Thanks.

Thu, 27 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 * Compiling without Executing or Creating EXE

Quote:
>I know that Control-F5 will Execute the program with a full compile.  Is
>there any way I can do a FULL COMPILE without Executing the program in VB6?
>I know you can do a Compile to Exe to do a full compile.  But the time it
>takes to generate the EXE file takes too long.  Is there a quick Full
>Compile like Control-F5 does, but does not execute the program after
>compilation is finished?

No, but you can do what I do when I want to confirm that my project is
compilable:

Sub Main

Exit Sub

'Regular code goes here.

End Sub

Then, "Start with Full Compile."  It will compile, start to run, and
end immediately.

--Jekke Bladt, EBTS
===
E-Mail, News, Code, Books, Tools, Jobs, Classes
Rapidly becoming a portal for Windows-based developers:
http://www.optionexplicit.com

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 * Compiling without Executing or Creating EXE
Sean,
    I have some rather large projects that I also hate to recompile because
it takes too long (even on a 400 mhz PII with 192 meg).  A trick I've found
is to set the program options so it compiles to P-code instead of native
code.  Compiles are manageable then.  I wouldn't release the program as a
P-code .EXE, I've had too many problems with random crashes.  When you're
sure it's working in the IDE, go ahead and change the compiler to go to
native code.
- Bob

Quote:
> I know that Control-F5 will Execute the program with a full compile.  Is
> there any way I can do a FULL COMPILE without Executing the program in
VB6?
> I know you can do a Compile to Exe to do a full compile.  But the time it
> takes to generate the EXE file takes too long.  Is there a quick Full
> Compile like Control-F5 does, but does not execute the program after
> compilation is finished?

> Thanks.

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. VC++ SP3 compiled EXE has UI bugs on clients WITHOUT VC SP3

2. c# execute exe file or execute commands

3. Compile error: Error Spawning Cl.exe or link.exe

4. Creating a .exe file that adds the dll code needed into the exe

5. Creating a .exe file that adds the dll code needed into the exe

6. Executing a console application without it opening a console

7. Executing file without command.com

8. Create thread message queue without creating window?

9. executing cgi webpage without user interaction

10. sample like wwwquote without using browser to execute

11. Executing dos app without opening a window

12. How to execute programs without popping up a dos-box (black screen)